• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America - Redesigned labels coming to a charge station near you ea 1.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America - Redesigned labels coming to a charge station near you ea 2.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrify America - Redesigned labels coming to a charge station near you ea 2.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Good to see this, it has been needed for a while.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The 150 and 350 should be different colors to tell them apart from a distance.
That would be nice, but this is still a huge improvement and will make picking the 150kW stalls (to leave the 350 ones for the 800V folks) much easier.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)

I came here to say this, beat me to it.

Automakers need to help out by mentioning that EVs maybe suited for the "mid grade" (150Kw) charging but may not need the ultra. I know its a struggle..but I can see in the future people driving a Ioniq 5 getting pissed when a MME is on the 350Kw charger when it can't take more(or much more) than 150Kw.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Says right on the video - "A thoughtful redesign backed by user research".

Note the different number of lightning bolts.

But, no matter what any company does, they always have critics of their approach. They can't win. What one person likes, another hates.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Says right on the video - "A thoughtful redesign backed by user research".

Note the different number of lightning bolts.

But, no matter what any company does, they always have critics of their approach. They can't win. What one person likes, another hates.
I didn't say I hate it. But looking for 2 or 3 white Lightning bolts against a green background on a small sticker from 50 to 100 feet is not exactly easy. Why not make the Lightning bolts on the 350 yellow?

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
This sounds like USB in year 2000. Be frankly, I think Tesla super charge station and the charger connection itself should be the industry standard.

I hate to use app to enable. Technology is good enough to let charger recognize EV, why don't use it. EA or other companies just need to work with Ford and other makers to implement what Tesla is doing so all we need to do is to pull the charge and plug in.

Traditional auto makers are like dinosaurs, so no wonder some of them would be Nokia within a decade.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I didn't say I hate it. But looking for 2 or 3 white Lightning bolts against a green background on a small sticker from 50 to 100 feet is not exactly easy. Why not make the Lightning bolts on the 350 yellow?
This 100%^^

Why not both color and symbols? I mean its common for fuel pumps to have different colored handles even though they are labeled different( regular, midgrade, premium).

I'll go a step further and say EV companies should try to standardize verbage(or colors) around their DCFC setups. It enrages me to no end to see EvGO label a 50Kw charger as a "fast charger" and a 200kw charger with the same label.

Really EvGO..what is this 2018? (50Kw is not that fast anymore...)

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This sounds like USB in year 2000. Be frankly, I think Tesla super charge station and the charger connection itself should be the industry standard.

I hate to use app to enable. Technology is good enough to let charger recognize EV, why don't use it. EA or other companies just need to work with Ford and other makers to implement what Tesla is doing so all we need to do is to pull the charge and plug in.

Traditional auto makers are like dinosaurs, so no wonder some of them would be Nokia within a decade.
I wouldn't go that far.

Elon is the one that made his charger different, unique and Tesla centric. He benefited off that decision. Everyone else(except Nissan Leaf) pretty much got onboard with the CCS standard. If Elon wanted to contribute to that conversation and offer something he certainly could have. Too late now...

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How do you know they didn't research that option, and people preferred this option? Or that yellow was hard to see in the bright sun, or at night?

By the way, my point earlier wasn't directed at you, it's just a reality. Ford comes out with a feature on a vehicle. People jump all over it. Ford did research, found that 99.5% of people would love it (or not care), and launched it, and those 0.5% of vocal people hate it.

A company I worked at years ago launched a product commemorating a US event. The product was made in China. We got some negative feedback about that, saying "make it in America". We did research, and told people that we could make it in America, but it would cost X times more. Every single person then said "keep making it in China". And, the product was a huge success.

People always have a better solution, and always assume that those making the decisions don't know what the hell they are doing. That's right about 0.01% of the time.

I always got a chuckle from the tinfoil hat people that want a totally off the grid modern car, which of course is not reality. And now some of them are buying an F-150L that is 100% on the grid.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
People always have a better solution, and always assume that those making the decisions don't know what the hell they are doing. That's right about 0.01% of the time.
I am in an MBA program right now and ran my own small business for a few years. Companies that think like this usually do not do as well and quite a few fail.

If you aren't listening to your customer, what the hell are you in business for? The customer doesn't have to be right or correct..the only thing I care about is if it makes them more inclined to buy the product or service.

Anyone in basic level marketing can tell you colors can have an impact on desirability or distinction. Operations research shows colors have an impact on decision making? (Why are all stop signs RED for example?) When trying to explain to an EV newbie what charger they should use, it would be much easier to say.."look for the red handled chargers" vs. explaining 50kw vs 150kW vs 350Kw, etc).

We really need to make this learning curve easy if we want to spur EV adoption by the masses.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am in an MBA program right now and ran my own small business for a few years. Companies that think like this usually do not do as well and quite a few fail.

If you aren't listening to your customer, what the hell are you in business for? The customer doesn't have to be right or correct..the only thing I care about is if it makes them more inclined to buy the product or service.

Anyone in basic level marketing can tell you colors can have an impact on desirability or distinction. Operations research shows colors have an impact on decision making? (Why are all stop signs RED for example?) When trying to explain to an EV newbie what charger they should use, it would be much easier to say.."look for the red handled chargers" vs. explaining 50kw vs 150kW vs 350Kw, etc).

We really need to make this learning curve easy if we want to spur EV adoption by the masses.
As an MBA, you should go back and read the entire post. It noted very clearly that research was done by EA with consumers. Therefore, they are listening.

Have a good one.