• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Encourage Software Update?

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
The updates my dealer did a few weeks ago have done the trick for me. In the last four days I have successfully received 6.5, the Tesla charging update, and 6.8. All while driving my normal way and routes. The Power Up updates happened during the night in my driveway. So they were done either via my micro cell tower or wifi.

While nice to have, now trying to figure out what all the excitement is about the percentage SOC display. I always found I could read the graphic display bar and determine, within a point or two, what my SOC percentage was.
Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Having the truck connected to wifi or having good/bad cellular reception will not determine when an OTA will queue up for you on the server. When an OTA trigger is created for your truck, then and only then does it matter if you have a good connection. First, you vehicle must ping the server back to let it know it received the OTA trigger. This only happens when the truck is turned on; whether you drive it or not. Once that handshake happens, the OTA will go through it's motions to verify the files and manifest. If this part checks out, then and only then will your truck try and download the files from the mothership. This is the time where it is important to have good cellular data.

So, you can have your truck parked under a cell phone tower with the LVB charged to 100% and it will make zero difference in terms of when an update will be sent to you.

Sorry to come back to this...

Are updates are only downloaded via cellular? Wifi is not used for the download?

Is a trigger for an update maintained on the servers as active? I can't imagine the only time an update happens is when, and only when, the server actively reaches out and pushes an update notification.

If the download only happens while the truck is running, and the server will respond to status requests, would leaving the truck "running" while sitting at work help? I suppose one could leave the 30 minute timer on.

Just random thoughts. We drive the truck a lot so it's running in decent cellular coverage frequently, however those drives are not always very long.

Also, is there any way to test the cellular signal from within the truck?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Out of every OTA ever released, only two are listed as "wifi required" one of which was designed to fix a modem connectivity issue and the other was a minor config change and not an actual update that required anything to be downloaded. Long read, but this will answer most of your questions:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...p-by-step-breakdown-of-the-ota-process.20875/

Also, is there any way to test the cellular signal from within the truck?
Yea, there's a way to turn something on that shows if your truck has good cellular data connection on the ICE trucks. It shows these symbols up top. I assume it would work on the Lightnings too, but not sure. I don't remember how I enabled them as I've had it there forever, but I'll find out.

Ford F-150 Lightning Encourage Software Update? 1727292595211-lm

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales

Firn

Threads