• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
One of the MOST COMMON questions I got from the 'non-ev' crowd is:

"whach ya gonna do when you gotta replace that thar expensive Battery thang??"

oh well.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
One of the MOST COMMON questions I got from the 'non-ev' crowd is:

"whach ya gonna do when you gotta replace that thar expensive Battery thang??"

oh well.
Responses:

"Won't happen in my use of the vehicle".

"How about replacing the engine in your gas vehicle"?

"In 10+ years, for the tiny percentage that need it, cost will be lower".

Or, this response:

Ford F-150 Lightning EV Batteries Can Outlast A Vehicle’s Lifetime With Minimal Degradation, Study Finds blink

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Gotta say, im happy with how the pack is performing. May not be 100% accurate but my
Scanner app says my overall SOH (state of health) is 96% on a 2022 with 63k miles and lots of DCFC sessions. Extrapolate that out and I’ll still be around 90% in the next 2-3 years. Not bad

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I thought the most telling part of the article was the chart towards the end on battery aging vs. climate:

The effects of temperature on EV batteries.
Another factor that can accelerate battery degradation is high ambient temperatures–to get around this, owners should try and park in the shade if possible. Furthermore, keeping the state of charge between 20% and 80% is ideal and will prolong the life of the pack compared to very high or very low states of charge.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I thought the most telling part of the article was the chart towards the end on battery aging vs. climate:
Which is pretty in line with all the recommendations from @MickeyAO that so many people then shat upon with their "well the manual says this, and ..." insert personal anecdote about how they know better than people doing actual lab work on them. Those people will probably still call BS on this article.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
"How about replacing the engine in your gas vehicle"?
I would love to see stats on that; ICE Engine vs EV motor failure or ICE gas tank vs EV battery pack failure.

Keep in mind, there is only one gas tank in every ICE but you can have 7000 batteries in one EV and a single battery failure could mean mean visiting the shop. My battery pack cost ( $28,556 ) is close to what I paid for my Pro ($40K - $7.5K) with each module costing $4K + Labor to replace along with not knowing if there are anything proprietary in the modules or BMS, it may be more of a crap shoot after year 8 than an ICE. Many of our battery operated devices are recycled after 8 years. My ICE truck was 20 years old with original engine and transmission with no repairs and running when I sold it. Manufacturers don't design these things for DYI repair. I am just saying I made a choice to buy this thing and I don't think people's fears are completely unfounded.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
I would love to see stats on that; ICE Engine vs EV motor failure or ICE gas tank vs EV battery pack failure.

Keep in mind, there is only one gas tank in every ICE but you can have 7000 batteries in one EV and a single battery failure could mean mean visiting the shop. My battery pack cost ( $28,556 ) is close to what I paid for my Pro ($40K - $7.5K) with each module costing $4K + Labor to replace along with not knowing if there are anything proprietary in the modules or BMS, it may be more of a crap shoot after year 8 than an ICE. Many of our battery operated devices are recycled after 8 years. My ICE truck was 20 years old with original engine and transmission with no repairs and running when I sold it. Manufacturers don't design these things for DYI repair. I am just saying I made a choice to buy this thing and I don't think people's fears are completely unfounded.
Good points. For the closest thing we can get to an apples-to-apples comparison, we should compare a battery, a couple of motors, and electronics to...an engine, transmission, fuel system, emissions system with catalytic converter(s) and oxygen sensors and all that stuff, ICE electronics, and all the rest.

I agree that we have something to be concerned about. I'm betting that 8-10 years from now, the battery aftermarket and recycling economy will be at least somewhat up to speed, more similar to today's ICE aftermarket and repair, so EV repair and replacement prices will be more reasonable. Might win that bet or might lose it, but going to enjoy the ride.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
61k miles on a Platinum and FDRS says my battery health is 99%
Even if my battery health goes to 50%, it would not impact my daily use of the truck. Even for the weekend trips, with super chargers where they are, I will be fine. My only concern is battery failure. But as others have mentioned, I don’t let it mess up my enjoyment of the truck and recommending it to others. The way I see it, my ticker may fail before my battery does.
Sponsored