First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think they checked SOMEONE ELSE's vehicle and gave you THEIR brake details.... I'll almost assure you that YOUR brakes are not anywhere close to any need for anything... or someone doesn't know how to really 'check' for brake needs... of course, they are also trying to create service business and product sales...so, there you go.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Brake wear varies on several conditions. Your pads wore 3mm allegedly in 15k km's, that's fine. Check again in 15k and see how much they've worn. Wear rates are not proportional generally speaking but keep an eye on it.
My previous f150 wore out the rears faster due to more towing.

His mechanic told him frequent use of adaptive cruise control wore out rear brakes quicker than front brakes.
This is a lie. Mazda used this excuse to cover up their shoddy rear calipers so they wouldn't have to replace them.

Even if acc used only the rears it still wouldn't account for it.

DreamBrother1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, Subaru Ascent
I'd have them measure again or maybe better have another neutral party take a measurement, seems abnormal for even an ICE vehicle to wear that quickly

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
...of course, they are also trying to create service business and product sales...so, there you go.
This is a good reason I hadn't previously thought of for purchasing a maintenance and protection package from Ford - dealerships won't push for something that Ford won't reimburse them for. When it's you that has to pay, they likely figure you will to agree to it a majority of the time if they say it's needed.

When I purchased my Focus Electric in 2017, the package was $1200 for 6 years or 120,000 km. Since it covered brakes and our ICE Focus got a brake job at 3 years (65,000 km) that cost $900, I figured it was worth it just for that reason alone.

What I didn't realize was just how little wear there would be on an EV's brake pads. Just before the package ran out, the front pads still had just over 4 mm and Ford only covers it if they are under 3. I spoke with someone at Ford as the rotors were in poor shape and I was told they do not have such a criterion for what is covered and what is not. They claimed it is up to the dealership's diagnosis, but in speaking with multiple dealerships' service departments, that is hogwash.

Despite that experience, I still feel the package is worth it if you don't have the time or skill to do the routine work yourself. For my wife's Lightning, we just made sure the 6-year coverage had a 150,000 km limit and not 120,000 that my FFE had.

OP
OP

Vb289

First Name
Vik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT SR
So I actually measured it myself yesterday and the measurements were correct 9mm in the front and 7mm in the back. Called my dealership service foreman and he explained that while that may seem odd, the rear pads do come with a little bit less meat out of the box. He did make a note of it and said to bring the vehicle back in 10k km to check or we can check at the next service and if the premature wear continues he would cover it under the bumper to bumper.

Sponsored

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi! So I bought my 2023 lightning SR XLT about 5 months ago and have already put on about 15.5k km. It’s been a great experience and all. However, today after getting my first service done, I was informed my front brakes have about 9mm left (seems about normal) but my rears have 7mm left? How can the backs already be worn down 3mm from the original 10mm in just 15.5k km? I do not aggressively brake or tow. At this rate I think I’ll need to replacement the rear pads and rotors by 40k km. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Interesting. Question: do you use one pedal driving? I've just bought my lightning and only have around 500 miles on it so far. I exclusively drove in one pedal driving mode in my previous EV, a Nissan Leaf. I just sold it with 36,000 miles. It still had the original break pads and still had lots of wear left on them.

OP
OP

Vb289

First Name
Vik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT SR
I do sometimes, but regardless the effect of one pedal driving vs 2 pedal should be minimal on the brakes. The break coach still shows nearly 100% regen every time I brake because I press it gently and from far away.
Sponsored