• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

External Battery to Charge LER Battery? Does it Exist?

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Here may be the videos you saw with portable generator to charge

Sponsored

Reactions: chl

LHR

First Name
LORENZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 LIGHTNING
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm thinking out loud here, so it may not make sense. Here goes:

One of the reasons my LER may have to go is that I travel to areas with few charging options. These days when I go to a project I end up at either rural hotels, apartments, or Airbnb's. Plugs are rarely available. My question is whether there's some kind of possible external battery on a dolly type setup that can be charged from a wall outlet when I'm at work or sleeping; and then plugged in to the truck during down time; whether it be at my job site or at the whatever place I'm staying at. It's unlikely that I'd use more than 50% of the pack as the most I've normally used daily for work is 50% in the winter, that means about 65kw external battery.

I'm still waiting for my buy back replacement Powerboost, but I have the option to keep with cash. For better or worse, with the time I've been waiting I've had time to weigh my options.
just a thought: if there is a NEMA 14-50P plug nearby in your travels, (electrical stove / dryer / Rv camp) there are portable L2 chargers available that can deliver anywhere from 30 to 40 miles per hour of charging time.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
just a thought: if there is a NEMA 14-50P plug nearby in your travels, (electrical stove / dryer / Rv camp) there are portable L2 chargers available that can deliver anywhere from 30 to 40 miles per hour of charging time.
More like 21 mph on a 50 amp breaker. You get 40 amps of usable power with the charger.

Rick

LHR

First Name
LORENZO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 LIGHTNING
Occupation
RETIRED
More like 21 mph on a 50 amp breaker. You get 40 amps of usable power with the charger.

Rick
AGREED

there are many variables to factor in:

Generally speaking the number of miles per hour (mph) that a 9.6 kW L2 charger can provide depends on the efficiency of the electric vehicle (EV), which is typically measured in miles per kilowatt-hour (miles/kWh).

On average, EVs have an efficiency of about 3 to 4 miles per kWh. Using this efficiency range, we can estimate the miles per hour provided by a 9.6 kW L2 charger as follows:
  1. Lower end of the efficiency range (3 miles per kWh):
    9.6 kW X 3 miles/kWh=28.8 miles/hour
  2. Upper end of the efficiency range (4 miles per kWh):
    9.6 kW X 4 miles/kWh=38.4 miles/hour
Therefore, a 9.6 kW charger should provide between 28.8 and 38.4 miles of range per hour of charging, depending on the specific efficiency of the vehicle. I just rounded the numbers up.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
If your daily use is 50%, then the only realistic recharge option is at least Level 2.

You can add 4-5 kWh back with a power bank and your L1 charger.

If you wanted to be more independent, a 1200 Watt solar array that you deploy from your truck would add some energy as well, but that's just L1 on a really good sunny day. Then again, 8 kWh is 8 kWh...

Sponsored

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
AGREED

Generally speaking the number of miles per hour (mph) that a 9.6 kW L2 charger can provide depends on the efficiency of the electric vehicle (EV), which is typically measured in miles per kilowatt-hour (miles/kWh).

On average, EVs have an efficiency of about 3 to 4 miles per kWh. Using this efficiency range, we can estimate the miles per hour provided by a 9.6 kW L2 charger as follows:
Therefore, a 9.6 kW charger should provide between 28.8 and 38.4 miles of range per hour of charging, depending on the specific efficiency of the vehicle. I just rounded the numbers up.
Are you averaging 3 to 4 miles per kwh?
Curious as I've only had my pro for 2 months and my overall average is approximately 2.3. Yes, I'm carrying approx 600# of equipment, but also have an electric retractable bed cover. Mainly city driving at 11 mph on average here in Los Angeles.

Rick

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I think this is what I may have thought I read. How does it boost the charging speeds from the same plug that would normally give you 6kwh? As in, what's the difference between plugging this device into the outlet, vs plugging directly?

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
AGREED

Are you averaging 3 to 4 miles per kwh?
Curious as I've only had my pro for 2 months and my overall average is approximately 2.3. Yes, I'm carrying approx 600# of equipment, but also have an electric retractable bed cover. Mainly city driving at 11 mph on average here in Los Angeles.

Rick
You all must have full time traffic. I'm averaging a lifetime of nearly 17k miles at 1.7 m/kwh. Having said that I'm on free flowing highways with your typical highway speeds. Same with the rural areas; probably a mix of 80% highway and 20% roads under 45 mph.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
You all must have full time traffic. I'm averaging a lifetime of nearly 17k miles at 1.7 m/kwh. Having said that I'm on free flowing highways with your typical highway speeds. Same with the rural areas; probably a mix of 80% highway and 20% roads under 45 mph.
Bev do better in the city than the highway. Just the opposite of Ice .

Yes, LA traffic gives me an average of 11 mph stop and go. Between stop signs, lights, speed bumps and traffic, 11 mph is my average over the last 15 or so years tracking with my vehicles that have that ability.

Rick

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I'm thinking out loud here, so it may not make sense. Here goes:

One of the reasons my LER may have to go is that I travel to areas with few charging options. These days when I go to a project I end up at either rural hotels, apartments, or Airbnb's. Plugs are rarely available. My question is whether there's some kind of possible external battery on a dolly type setup that can be charged from a wall outlet when I'm at work or sleeping; and then plugged in to the truck during down time; whether it be at my job site or at the whatever place I'm staying at. It's unlikely that I'd use more than 50% of the pack as the most I've normally used daily for work is 50% in the winter, that means about 65kw external battery.

I'm still waiting for my buy back replacement Powerboost, but I have the option to keep with cash. For better or worse, with the time I've been waiting I've had time to weigh my options.
They exist.

Emergency roadside assistance carries them sometimes.

Here's an example:

56kWh Emergency mobile EV charging system
SETEC Power emergency mobile EV charging system is the perfect solution for roadside or remote electric vehicle rescue when the battery runs out. Installing SETEC POWER’s Emergency mobile EV charging system on the vehicle breaks space limitations and allows rapid deployment without infrastructure. This is ideal for fleet operators, car dealers, and other businesses as it provides cost-effective and flexible Energy as a Service. Additionally, it is compatible with all electric vehicles and offers DC charging.

Emergency mobile EV charging system Advantages
  • Charging services can be provided without permits or time-consuming major construction.
  • The built-in 56kWh battery pack provides 60kW DC power for EV charging.
  • It can be quickly deployed to locations where timely EV charging is required, including roadside or remote areas.
  • It can avoid the high rates associated with supplemental power during peak hours, thus effectively reducing operating costs.
  • It can be supplemented by public EV charging stations with CCS2 or CCS1, CHAdeMO, Type 2, or Type 1 charging cables.
  • DC fast charging for any DC-compatible EV via CCS1 or CCS2, CHAdeMO, or Tesla.
Ford F-150 Lightning External Battery to Charge LER Battery? Does it Exist? 1722131090703-3d

https://www.setec-power.com/emergency-mobile-ev-charging-system/

This one is kind of...huge!

Maybe there are smaller ones, eh?

Like this:

Battery Specifications
Total Energy
3.45 kWh

Usable Energy
3.35 kWh

Weight
70 lbs

Dimensions
8.7" x 12.6" x 26"

Charger Specifications
Output Voltage
150-500 VDC

Output Current
40 ADC Max Continuous

Max Power
20 kW

Weight
55 lbs

https://www.sparkcharge.io/pages/roadie-portable

But you'd need a bunch of them - 3.45kWh is a drop in the bucket.

And like someone pointed out, a gas generator with a portable L2 EVSE would work.

Like this:
Ford F-150 Lightning External Battery to Charge LER Battery? Does it Exist? 1722131565845-qz

Ford F-150 Lightning External Battery to Charge LER Battery? Does it Exist? 1722131680805-5i

https://blinkcharging.com/products/mobile-charger

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I remember what some Nissan Leaf owners did was buy another Leaf battery and put it in the hatch storage area and add it to the system, there was a company that did that - after market modification - voids warranty of course.

You could always buy another Lightning and tow it behind you. Then use it to tow the first one for the rest of the trip.

Might be the least expensive way?

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Lots of entertaining answers here. Realistically though, the only thing that makes much sense in terms of weight and bulk is a generator and some jerry cans. Noisy and slow but extremely versatile and portable.

Jaime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Get an Ecoflow Delta Pro 3 that by itself has 4 kWh of battery storage. You can add an additional 2 batteries for a total of 12 kWh. Will probably cost you around $7K-8K. It can provide up to 4kW of power, so would work with a 16A EVSE. If you need more power (and battery capacity), you can parallel more sets of Delta Pro 3 + batteries. If you had 3 of the Delta Pro 3, you could use a 48A EVSE. Each Delta Pro 3 is 113 lbs, and each 4 kWh battery is 72 lbs.

You could connect many solar panels to the setup and recharge the batteries over several days.
Sponsored