• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
So BEV sales grew more than hybrid sales and Ford concluded that the future is hybrids.

Sponsored

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
I'm about to take advantage of this on Saturday.
It what I was waiting for since they came out.
I’ll never pay cash for a car/truck and will always finance at 0% ( borrow free money )

I can wait for the deal, I want no matter how bad I want something 😂

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
It what I was waiting for since they came out.
I’ll never pay cash for a car/truck and will always finance at 0% ( borrow free money )

I can wait for the deal, I want no matter how bad I want something 😂
Amen, my Gladiator was at 0%, but only 36 months.

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning Flash
We were one of those lightnings. We traded in our Powerboost on a Flash that was optioned perfectly for us. We honestly had no reason to switch, but the Labor Day weekend stacked discounts (taking a 74k truck down to 57k) plus O% financing was just too good to walk away from.

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
So BEV sales grew more than hybrid sales and Ford concluded that the future is hybrids.
I mean, if I'm selling 100,000 units of something, and then see an uptick in sales to 150,000 units, then my sales increases by 50%. If I sell a single product, and then sell 5 next year, I'm seeing a 500% increase in sales. Sure, the percentage increase is a lot higher, but the amount of volumes moved, and revenue generated, is a lot lower.

Ford isn't giving up on EVs, they're taking a smart, balanced approach to future product development. The reality is, some people want EVs, some people want hybrids, and some people want ICE. Doing all 3 and letting consumers decide is a brilliant move.

I own a maverick hybrid, easily the best new car release this decade imo. The maverick hybrid is a great, affordable, fuel efficient, reliable, good looking, reasonably capable, and halfway fun to drive truck. The lightning is great in its own way, but a lot of people can't afford to spend 90k on an EV full-sized truck right now. It's not bad, it's just not the answer for everyone.

Hybrids appeal to a lot of people, because they're more affordable, are usually very fuel efficient, I'm driving around in a truck that's averaged 45 mpg through hot summers and cold winters. Hybrids according to most studies, are the most reliable powertrain, because everything has backup systems, and nothing is overly stressed, and there are no 30 grand repair bill boogymen hiding in the closet for long term hybrid owners. They also reduce emissions significantly compared to a normal ICE car, and can be refuel at any normal gas station. It's just an appealing solution in this current day and age.

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Ford's future product strategy is really smart, let's break this down. They're developing a future series of affordable EVs based on CE1. All we know is a small truck, and rugged body suv will use this platform, as well as potentially a sedan, and other shapes. Very, very impressive platform from what insiders are saying. Ford brought in the guy who lead the engineering for the model y and I believe 3. This platform has been referred to as a genuine game changer.

So that platform will enable Ford to make compact, areo efficient and affordable EVs, appealing to a wider audience, including younger buyers who are generally more receptive to EVs. No-one has offered a 25-30k new EV yet, so this is a big deal. Using smaller battery packs and more areo dynamic designs also makes the costs of materials much cheaper for Ford, making these affordable EVs actually profitable. This is why Ford brought in people from Redbull's F1 team to assist with areo/styling.

For people who don't want these affordable small EVs, Ford will still make things like t3 and EV transits. For people who don't want that, Ford's gonna offer a hybrid powertrain for basically every vehicle in their lineup. Then Ford's gonna continue to offer things like the 5.0 on the mustang for people who want the full muscle car experience. This is a really well rounded, and future proof strategy, sorry for ranting, but I just wanted to highlight all the strengths of Ford's product strategy and product development moving toward. It's exciting stuff, like the model t days cranked up to 11.

Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
My top spec e-Golf was $27K (to be fair, this was as the pandemic was hitting) and you can get a new Niro EV for under $30K. EVs don’t have to be expensive (as China proves) it is just that US automakers want/need really high profits. Huyundai is a big problem for Ford if they want to go downmarket.

Hybrids are not a new concept and in my opinion have the worst of both worlds. A regular hybrid is just a strategy to improve the gas mileage a little bit, and none of the PHEVs that I have seen have enough range to really be worth the hassle - since you have to go to a gas station anyway. (The big unappreciated win for EVs is no gas station ever, when you stop using them you realize how gross and sketchy most of them are). If you put in a big enough battery to make the PHEV useful then you have added a lot of weight which hurts your gas mileage, and the extra weight of enigne and fuel hurts your EV range.

I was not super impressed with the F-150 Powerboost hybrid, it was not smooth when the gas engine started up and stopped. My wife hated it. That is a hard problem to overcome, especially for people who have gotten used to EVs.

The auto start/stop thing is so bad that when I bought my ICE Lariat just as the supply chain issue was hitting and it had the start stop feature deleted. The salesman automatically strated to disable it, did a double take at the window sticier and said “oh, it’s deleted — good!”

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
As I mentioned on the other forum. Sales prices dropped dramatically, and suddenly a boost in retail sales. No surprise really. The EV's have just been priced too far apart from their ICE equivalent competitors.

For example, I'd love to buy the new Silverado RST so I can get the range I need and continue with my EV driving experience. I want it bad. However, I'm not spending $10-20k more than ICE equivalents. A fully loaded Sierra Denali (ICE) can now be had for $68k, and they want $96k? The reason I even got into my Lightning was because it cost $10-20k LESS than ICE equivalent with all of the discounts.

daveross1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tahoe Z71, 22 X5 45e, '22 F150L Lariat ER
none of the PHEVs that I have seen have enough range to really be worth the hassle - since you have to go to a gas station anyway. (The big unappreciated win for EVs is no gas station ever, when you stop using them you realize how gross and sketchy most of them are). If you put in a big enough battery to make the PHEV useful then you have added a lot of weight which hurts your gas mileage, and the extra weight of enigne and fuel hurts your EV range.
With many PHEVs reaching 30 miles of range I think there is a real story to bridging the gap to EVs. In my family, the vast majority of days we are an EV-only operation (BMW X5 PHEV easily covering daily commutes and errands on electric only). If we are doing a trip within a 100 mile radius, we typically take the F150L. If we are going further, we take the BMW. I checked the other day and the BMW odometer has 31k miles on it, with 24k of those miles being electric-only. Sure there are tradeoffs with any decision, but I do think that PHEVs have a place in the American market. The latest gen X5 is now up to 50 miles of EV range. The RamCharger drivetrain is even more interesting - once that comes to the Wagoneer I could definitely see that in our future as well.
Sponsored