Vehicles
Reef flip flops
EaaS - Everything as a Service

Say goodbye to private ownership.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Do you have data on this or are we just supposed to accept that you have a psychic ability to know what customers want?
Not psychic. You could just could read the comments of any article that mentions subscription based features and keep a tally. (Hint: you probably won't need one to get the idea.)

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If I am not mistaken blue cruise is going to be subscription based with some number of free years when you purchase an equipped vehicle. Honestly, I would prefer this to paying 10k+ up front for the promise of future functionality.

Sponsored

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
If I am not mistaken blue cruise is going to be subscription based with some number of free years when you purchase an equipped vehicle. Honestly, I would prefer this to paying 10k+ up front for the promise of future functionality.
It's 3 years included with the activation. It's $600 (technically $500 after rebate) for the Mach E so I can't imagine the yearly being something outrageous. If it's something low I don't fault them for that, someone has to pay for the mobile data for the system, cloud services to run the system, maintain map data, etc. and a manufacturer isn't footing the bill for years on end.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the cell connectivity for the car included in the fee for Blues Clues or is that another add-on? I wouldn't think they would bolt on mobile connectivity to a driver aid. Cell connectivity would be used for many other things like navigation, media streaming, and sending commands / pulling data to/from the car.

I think most are okay with paying a subscription service that continues to improve or requires maintenance to continue to run properly. Navigation, media streaming, and even mobile connectivity fall into those categories.

Driver assistance features can be more of a gray area depending on how they are implemented. With a system like Tesla's there is no remote aspect or requirement to receive updates to work properly. In fact, the earlier cars with the MobilEye system have not received an update in years and they work just fine.

An assistance system whose functionality requires updates to mapping data (lidar mapped, GPS mapped, etc.) at least requires labor and investment on the company side to earn the customer's recurring dollars. Updates to old in-car systems used to come via CD or DVD, and those were expensive. To reference the BMW model of subscribing to heated seats, however, that is a silly model as the car is already equipped with them. Just pay for them once and move on.

Blues Clues appears to be $$16.67/mo. That's a pill, but not too bitter, provided Ford does a good job at keeping their mapping data up to date.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Not psychic. You could just could read the comments of any article that mentions subscription based features and keep a tally. (Hint: you probably won't need one to get the idea.)
Comments to online articles are routinely filled with those who disagree or are general neigh sayers. They are also directly targeted by tolls and those who post articles on sites for others to respond with nasty comments. Those are nowhere close to statistically valid surveys.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
If the price stays the same as that announced for Blue Cruise on the Mach E ($600 for 3 years), that $10K will be paid off in 50 years. Feel free to go with the $10K purchase, I'll take the $200/year.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Comments to online articles are routinely filled with those who disagree or are general neigh sayers. They are also directly targeted by tolls and those who post articles on sites for others to respond with nasty comments. Those are nowhere close to statistically valid surveys.
There's certainly nobody sticking up for subscriptions with any evidence that it benefits the consumer.
Sponsored