• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
In a couple weeks I will be heading out on a long road trip by myself. Half the trip I'll be driving through a semi-charging desert where Tesla SuperCharges are the only DCFCing sites that output more than 50kW and have more than 2 stalls. A concern I've had is the extremely small, but potentially devastating chance of my NACS adapter being stolen. Given that I'll be on my own with no one to watch over the truck, nothing would stop someone from stealing my adapter if I left to use the restroom or have a bite to eat. Searching the internet, I found this thread on the Mach-E forum. Neat idea but I didn't like how conspicuous the design is and how it requires a padlock to work. Deeper into the thread on post #40, OP shares a few more ideas, one of them I personally think is nearly a perfect solution to protect against adapter theft. While it isn't a true lock, it appears to be very difficult to remove unless you have the "key" and if printed in black, 99.9% of people wouldn't even realize it's there. Generalizing a bit, petty theft happens because an opportunity arises and this shuts the door on that opportunity if one can't quickly grab it and go.

I had a friend 3D print one out for me. I don't know what type of filament he used, but its a type of plastic that can handle high heat.
Ford F-150 Lightning Finally! A simple & effective solution to "locking" your Ford NACS adapter -- 3D Print Lock IMG_1472

I just picked the lock up today and am blown away by how simple, yet effective it is. Trying to get it out with my hands is impossible as it's recessed in the gap. You'd be able to pick it out with a screw driver or a key but once again, you'd have to know it's there and what it is. I'm feeling very confident that in the extremely rare chance that someone tries to steal my adapter, they would give up long before figuring out that 1, there is a small plastic piece preventing them from unlocking the adapter and 2, how to remove it.

Video below demonstrating the lock in action and a HUGE thanks to JustBob on the Mach-E forum.
Sponsored

Last edited:

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Thats great! Do you have the .stl file for it so others can print it as well? Id like to print it.

Edit - nevermind I see now it was linked above.

OP
OP
Wsl346

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thats great! Do you have the .stl file for it so others can print it as well? Id like to print it.
It's linked above but I'll also link it here for additional visibility.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Very ingenious. 😍

OP
OP
Wsl346

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The adapter is locked to the truck when actively fast charging but anyone can press the unlock button next to the port and yoink your adapter out.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Better than having your charge port damaged by vandals.

Reactions: N87

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
They could probably fix it with an OTA (If it is not already working like this) by requiring the key be close or door be unlocked for the button to work.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Nah, I'm talking about removing the plug. Tesla locks it in but it can still be forcefully removed, damaging the port in the process. It's really a non issue though. I'm glad that my Ford is not a tesla.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Thanks for sharing this to the OP.
Dang I’m going to have to buy myself a 3d printer for Xmas this year..!! lol 😂
I’d love to get myself one of these.

Last edited:

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Generalizing a bit, petty theft happens because an opportunity arises and this shuts the door on that opportunity if one can't quickly grab it and go.
100% agree with you there.

As for the adapter, I wish they had just left a little opening for a locking pin. I have a slow charging adapter that has a hole through the unlock mechanism, and I found a small combination lock that works with it. Would it stop someone determined? -no. But if someone walking by sees the lock they will say well I don't have anything to cut that with at the moment.

I gotta find someone who can print this in something higher heat than PLA. Usually I say PLA is fine but this might be the limit where I come back and find PLA soup all over my charge port.
Sponsored