• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Front lightbar - inner works and structure

KBM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT 2023
Hi everyone,

Been reading this forum for a while now, please excuse my English... i usually speak French (hope there aren't too many haters 😉)

I'm looking into a possible project, modifying the internals of the front light bar. I know some of you handled the part, i read something about working on 24-36v, how to install, but not much more.

I see a possibility, but can't find the solution. Anyone has a broken front lightbar ? I want to inspect and dissasemble the light, to see if my project can work.

Anyone out there can help with either the broken part, pictures or diagrams ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.
Sponsored

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
I highly doubt that these are 24 to 36 volt, I can pretty much guarantee they are going to be 12 volt.
I too would be curious to see the internals, I'm especially interested in the end pieces that are part of the headlight assembly.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
You can find broken Light Bars on eBay here and there but they’re still expensive. I saw a broken one the other day for $200 or $300.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paramedic

Sponsored
OP
OP

KBM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT 2023
You are misinterpreting, that 36 volts is for the daytime running lights. The daytime running lights are completely separate from the light bar. They sit between the low and high beams in the headlight module. Same spot as they turn signals.
Thank you for the explanation

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
You are misinterpreting, that 36 volts is for the daytime running lights. The daytime running lights are completely separate from the light bar. They sit between the low and high beams in the headlight module. Same spot as they turn signals.
As far as the post states, he is interpreting it correctly, so maybe the OP from the other thread is wrong and the wiring diagram is wrong but they clearly stated 36v is need🤷‍♂️

“By default if your truck isn't equipped with a light bar it just won't output the 36 volts needed to run the light bar.”

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paramedic
As far as the post states, he is interpreting it correctly, so maybe the OP from the other thread is wrong and the wiring diagram is wrong but they clearly stated 36v is need🤷‍♂️

“By default if your truck isn't equipped with a light bar it just won't output the 36 volts needed to run the light bar.”
My mistake, I only read half the post. The 36 volts runs the headlight DRL, and is also output to the light bar. That's an extremely weird wiring choice from Ford, but so is powering the two sides of the light bar from the two different headlights. It's almost as if they intended to do something much different with that light bar than they ended up doing.

OP
OP

KBM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT 2023
In any case, the modification I have in mind should not require the need of eliminating what is already there.

I do not think this is the right vehicle for hauling a trailor. I think keeping aerodynamics to the best is a must on the highway.

This being said, for a service or warning vehicle, adding warning lights and beacons. If using the standard lights models, they will extrude outside the trucks body aero lines and will affect range on the highway.

So I was thinking of using the front lightbar as a warning light - amber and white. Adding a headache rack with warning lights behind, not on top. Add flashing beacons in the backup lights and front flashers... should also give a stealth look. Surface mount flashers on the steps...

What are yout thoughts ? The lightbar is the only thing holding back this plan.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paramedic
In any case, the modification I have in mind should not require the need of eliminating what is already there.

I do not think this is the right vehicle for hauling a trailor. I think keeping aerodynamics to the best is a must on the highway.

This being said, for a service or warning vehicle, adding warning lights and beacons. If using the standard lights models, they will extrude outside the trucks body aero lines and will affect range on the highway.

So I was thinking of using the front lightbar as a warning light - amber and white. Adding a headache rack with warning lights behind, not on top. Add flashing beacons in the backup lights and front flashers... should also give a stealth look. Surface mount flashers on the steps...

What are yout thoughts ? The lightbar is the only thing holding back this plan.
I've been putting a lot of thought into this. I was quite disappointed that the lightning has red rear turn signals instead of amber like the ICE trucks, because my original thought was an OBD2 flasher. my current thought is an arrow stick in the rear window, LEDs behind the rear view mirror, and LEDs above the running boards.
I'm not fully in love with the plan, and haven't had time yet to implement. What I would really like to do is put strobing LEDs into the light bar portions of the headlight assemblies, basically I just need to see the internals to see if there's a place where I can drill a 1-in hole without hitting anything vital. I've done corner strobes like that in many previous vehicles front and rear, but this is a whole different beast.

Sponsored
OP
OP

KBM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT 2023
Or disassemble a surface strobe or two, and insert them inside the lightbar.

Headache rack for rear strobes + surface mount strobes between bumper and tailgate.... in all cases, front lightbar is hardest to plan out.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paramedic
Or disassemble a surface strobe or two, and insert them inside the lightbar.

Headache rack for rear strobes + surface mount strobes between bumper and tailgate.... in all cases, front lightbar is hardest to plan out.
Front isn't really the problem, it's corners and sides that are the problem. Corner strobes in head and tail lights have always been the solution, but don't seem to be so easy in this one. I feel like those front corners should be doable, I'm just not sure on the exact mechanism. The rear corners are harder.

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Paramedic
Well I did some exploratory surgery today, the light bar ends on the headlights appear to be empty from the top for the first inch, I cut into that and put in a Whelen Vertex LED strobe head as a test, results were mixed. Ideally you're going to need at least two strobes in each light, specifically the one I put at the top only shows at the top, and not down lower where I think it would do the most good. I think to get access to anything lower headlight removal will be needed, and that looks painful!
The overall effect is pretty decent, though I won't call it amazing. I've had better luck in previous vehicles with vertex strobe heads. It will definitely be more than enough at night, though on a bright sunny day I'm not sure. That's said, I don't plan to rely exclusively on those corners, but corners are important on a vehicle.
Sponsored