• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk stuck - FIXED!

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hey guys....

Hit frunk release this morning and it released the first latch (so now it's loose and says "frunk ajar") but cannot get it to open or close again.

Pressing the key fob does nothing. The button on the trunk will try and lift it , but it gets caught by the latch and stops - the button in the cab does the same thing. I have pulled and pulled on the red manual release handle - to the point I'm worried I'll break the strap or the cable. Nada

I haven't tried to drive it because it doesn't seem like a great idea, but there are no error messages (just the "frunk ajar" message).

I've read a lot on here about folks having some issues with the frunk and getting malfunction errors and needing to reset it using the emergency release, but as far as I can tell, everyone has been able to get it opened eventually using the manual release. I cant get it to open so that I can perform the reset procedure!

Any ideas? Id really really like to not have to get it towed to the dealer. I assume Ford will cover the tow as part of warranty work, but waiting hours for a tow in the morning will mess my work day up pretty well.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Have a second person hold the frunk lid down first then pull, maybe even jiggle it while you hold the strap.

OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Have a second person hold the frunk lid down first then pull, maybe even jiggle it while you hold the strap.
Tried that - holding it down, pulling it up, jiggling it.

No luck

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Sounds like the start of frunk strut issue. The design is poor and water gets into the connection and corrodes it

OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds like the start of frunk strut issue. The design is poor and water gets into the connection and corrodes it
Could be - but I'm not getting any errors and it will try to open, it's just the latch that won't release.

I guess I'll be having Ford roadside assistance come pick it up in the morning and take it to my dealer. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Hit frunk release this morning and it released the first latch (so now it's loose and says "frunk ajar") but cannot get it to open or close again.
Which "frunk release" did you hit?

OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Which "frunk release" did you hit?
The small button on the frunk was the first one hit that started the issue.

I've tried everything since then.

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Could be - but I'm not getting any errors and it will try to open, it's just the latch that won't release.

I guess I'll be having Ford roadside assistance come pick it up in the morning and take it to my dealer. 🤷🏼‍♂️
The truck releases the first catch and the strut moves the hood up an inch and then the second safety latch disengages and the hood then opens the whole way.

If the strut doesn’t push up initially, the sequence doesn’t go through and the hood doesn’t release.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Have them check this TSB.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk stuck - FIXED! IMG_0403

OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The truck releases the first catch and the strut moves the hood up an inch and then the second safety latch disengages and the hood then opens the whole way.

If the strut doesn’t push up initially, the sequence doesn’t go through and the hood doesn’t release.

It's definitely trying to.

If I press the button on the frunk or in the cab it will try to go up, hit the latch then stop.

I have tried to push it closed - it won't latch.

I've tried having someone pull on it as it's trying to go up, also no dice.

I have pulled on the manual release and got nothing - to the point I was worried about breaking the red strap or the cable. We pulled on it way harder that you should have to.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hey guys....

Pressing the key fob does nothing. The button on the trunk will try and lift it , but it gets caught by the latch and stops - the button in the cab does the same thing. I have pulled and pulled on the red manual release handle - to the point I'm worried I'll break the strap or the cable. Nada

I haven't tried to drive it because it doesn't seem like a great idea, but there are no error messages (just the "frunk ajar" message).

I've read a lot on here about folks having some issues with the frunk and getting malfunction errors and needing to reset it using the emergency release, but as far as I can tell, everyone has been able to get it opened eventually using the manual release. I cant get it to open so that I can perform the reset procedure!

Any ideas? Id really really like to not have to get it towed to the dealer. I assume Ford will cover the tow as part of warranty work, but waiting hours for a tow in the morning will mess my work day up pretty well.
Good morning! If you'd like any additional assistance, feel free to send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info.

OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good morning! If you'd like any additional assistance, feel free to send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info.
Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes. May need some help getting a loaner/rental. My dealer already told me they don't have anything for me, and I can't not have transportation.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Perhaps try to manually close it - it may reset the latch. If the secondary safety latch isn't releasing even with the manual release tab, you are probably in for a trip to the dealer anyway but it might get you drivable until they can fit you in.

OP
OP

mq019

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I was really kinda hoping the dealer would have some magic way of making me look stupid and get it working as soon as it got there, but nope.

They're "investigating" 🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored