• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Get hands-on towing training at Ford Towing Bootcamp

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Learn to tow from licensed instructors, and save $250!

If you or someone you know is new to towing, our licensed instructors can teach you to tow with confidence! Ford Towing Bootcamps are coming to:
  • Raleigh, North Carolina August 23, 24, and 25, 2024
  • Fort Worth, Texas September 5, 6, 7, and 8, 2024
Use code “FORDVIP” at checkout to save $250!

Each experience will cover:
  • How to use your Ford vehicle’s conventional towing features
  • Understanding and calculating vehicle towing capacity*
  • Safety essentials
  • Trailer hitching and towing preparation
  • Accelerating, braking, and turning while towing
  • Backing up and parking with a trailer
Don’t miss this opportunity to learn to tow from professionals!

Registration is limited, so sign up today to reserve your spot.

Learn more at FordTowingBootcamp.com

*When properly equipped. Max towing varies based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories and number of passengers.

Ford F-150 Lightning Get hands-on towing training at Ford Towing Bootcamp Forum post image
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Same, wish it was closer. Now that I have such a capable vehicle for towing, I've been window shopping for a medium sized camper. I've only towed once in my life, a small uHual trailer. Wouldn't mind getting a few pointers and learning all the doodads and thingamajiggers we have access to in the lightning.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Towing training should be mandatory for the Ford software engineers who designed the camera switching algorithm So frustrating when hooking up a trailer that the camera switches the view when not wanted.
If I select trailer hitch view, leave it on trailer hitch view. Forever. Even If I put the truck in park or forward.
If I select rear view, leave it on rear view. Even if I put the truck in park or forward.
If I select rear view while underway, its because I want to see if the tarp on my boat is flapping loose, or the leaves are blowing out of my yard waste load, not read the stupid message "Full View Not Available".

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Towing training should be mandatory for the Ford software engineers who designed the camera switching algorithm So frustrating when hooking up a trailer that the camera switches the view when not wanted.
If I select trailer hitch view, leave it on trailer hitch view. Forever. Even If I put the truck in park or forward.
If I select rear view, leave it on rear view. Even if I put the truck in park or forward.
If I select rear view while underway, its because I want to see if the tarp on my boat is flapping loose, or the leaves are blowing out of my yard waste load, not read the stupid message "Full View Not Available".
It's like they never backed up to and attached to a trailer. Too far back...now too far forward...a little to the left. Now I'll put it in park...truck rocks forward 2 inches repeat. Mental note always set the parking brake with your foot on the brake pedal even if the ground is almost perfectly level. Just leave the hitch view on!

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Seriously, @Ford Motor Company, this has become my #1 complaint about the software. There are several strong contenders but this is #1. LEAVE THE CAMERAS ON while trying to maneuver. Please.

00SVT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Flash, 00 Lightning
Occupation
Utilities
Please, please consider offering this in the NorthEast. Would be awesome to attend.

I would even consider driving my 00 Lightning. Either way, thank you for offering such an important training seminar.

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
It would be great if Ford put more effort into refining their software. Its easy to imagine things I'd like.

Eg.: I'm preparing to go on my first camping trip with my new Lightning towing a small travel trailer. I'm trying to learn how to quickly attach and detach the trailer.

I'd like to be able to more easily move the Lightning extremely slowly, so, for instance, it would be easier to adjust how close I am to the trailer hitch. Maybe I'll be able to develop the ever so slight touch on the accelerator that would be necessary, but so far, I haven't been able to. I apply the tiniest amount of foot pressure on the accelerator, I sense that the Lightning is getting ready to move, I immediately back off, and the net result is no movement at all. Or, the truck moves too far. I'm thinking of making a stick so I can use hand control on the accelerator. Ford could make the accelerator response adjustable the way mouse movement is adjustable on a desktop computer.

But the thing is, I love how accurate the camera display of the hitch is. I'll be able to learn how to just back up to precisely the right spot in one go, somehow, without needing someone outside as a guide, and that is a lot better than my previous towing experiences.

Ford could allow users some programming power. Even if ordinary owners couldn't figure out how to do the programming, third parties could provide solutions to complaints like the camera issue that so many are complaining about. Instead of drilling down through often used menus, a user or third party programmer could set up custom buttons. One button could set up trailer attaching mode where the camera stays where you want it and the accelerator allows easy fraction of an inch movement of the truck.

Etc.

When it comes to software, we're used to mass market programs used by hundreds of millions of users, like Windows, that have been refined for many decades. We can't expect EV software to be as good.

My bottom line is this is a fantastic truck. I'm looking forward to camping with it.

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Would attend this in a heartbeat in the NE

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
I strongly agree this should be offered to towing newbys (like myself).

Sponsored

00SVT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Flash, 00 Lightning
Occupation
Utilities
I'd like to be able to more easily move the Lightning extremely slowly, so, for instance, it would be easier to adjust how close I am to the trailer hitch. Maybe I'll be able to develop the ever so slight touch on the accelerator that would be necessary, but so far, I haven't been able to. I apply the tiniest amount of foot pressure on the accelerator, I sense that the Lightning is getting ready to move, I immediately back off, and the net result is no movement at all. Or, the truck moves too far. I'm thinking of making a stick so I can use hand control on the accelerator. Ford could make the accelerator response adjustable the way mouse movement is adjustable on a desktop computer.

Ford could allow users some programming power. Even if ordinary owners couldn't figure out how to do the programming, third parties could provide solutions to complaints like the camera issue that so many are complaining about. Instead of drilling down through often used menus, a user or third party programmer could set up custom buttons. One button could set up trailer attaching mode where the camera stays where you want it and the accelerator allows easy fraction of an inch movement of the truck.
I find it easier to use the brake. What you can try is this:

1. Connect to trailer on hard, smooth terrain, preferably asphalt or concrete
2. Disengage one pedal driving (if you have it on)
3. Disengage auto hold (if you have it on)
4. Use the accelerator to line up near straight
5. To get close and if you have to cut the wheel hard, let off the brake.

This way instead of worry of overshooting with the accelerator (worrying about 2 pedals), you only modulate the brake pedal when you are close.

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
I'd definitely attend if offered in upper Midwest....

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I find it easier to use the brake. What you can try is this:

1. Connect to trailer on hard, smooth terrain, preferably asphalt or concrete
2. Disengage one pedal driving (if you have it on)
3. Disengage auto hold (if you have it on)
4. Use the accelerator to line up near straight
5. To get close and if you have to cut the wheel hard, let off the brake.

This way instead of worry of overshooting with the accelerator (worrying about 2 pedals), you only modulate the brake pedal when you are close.
I don't understand what "cut the wheel hard" means, or why in point 5 "let off the brake" appears - I didn't see where the brake went on. But I will try disengaging one pedal driving and auto hold. I'm used to driving a Bolt where on every start, you need to engage one pedal drive if you want it, unlike the Lightning where if you set it once it stays one pedal for all future stop start cycles.

00SVT

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Flash, 00 Lightning
Occupation
Utilities
I don't understand what "cut the wheel hard" means, or why in point 5 "let off the brake" appears - I didn't see where the brake went on. But I will try disengaging one pedal driving and auto hold. I'm used to driving a Bolt where on every start, you need to engage one pedal drive if you want it, unlike the Lightning where if you set it once it stays one pedal for all future stop start cycles.
Yeah- I’m sorry for the confusing vernacular. Old habits die hard.

Cut the wheel hard refers to turning the steering all the way to one side aka turning the steering to full lock. Sometimes it’s easier to turn the steering to full lock than to move forward and reposition.

As let off the brake, that is a technique used in ICE to creep and move at a slow & controlled speed. When the vehicle is in gear, the spinning inertia will let the car move forward slowly in automatic transmission vehicles.

This can be advantageous. While slow, when not covering long distances, you only modulate the brake pedal. The more brake pedal you release, the faster you move.

This also works in reverse. When I reverse to backup to a trailer, I almost never touch the gas once I am about 5-10 feet close to it. I only change how little/how much I am pressing on the brake.

However this only works on the lightning if Auto hold is off and I would also disable one pedal driving just in case that affects anything.

When I park very close to an object in reverse in lightning, I disable auto hold so I can only use brake pedal modulation. This way I don’t worry about accidentally bumping.

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
As let off the brake, that is a technique used in ICE to creep and move at a slow & controlled speed. When the vehicle is in gear, the spinning inertia will let the car move forward slowly in automatic transmission vehicles.

This can be advantageous. While slow, when not covering long distances, you only modulate the brake pedal. The more brake pedal you release, the faster you move.

This also works in reverse. When I reverse to backup to a trailer, I almost never touch the gas once I am about 5-10 feet close to it. I only change how little/how much I am pressing on the brake.

However this only works on the lightning if Auto hold is off and I would also disable one pedal driving just in case that affects anything.

When I park very close to an object in reverse in lightning, I disable auto hold so I can only use brake pedal modulation. This way I don’t worry about accidentally bumping.
Thanks for the idea.
Sponsored