• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help with new squeal

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
On my commute home I suddenly noticed what I thought was either squeaky brakes or some other metal on metal rubbing. Definitely coming from me, I think from the rear. Happens only when moving, even with no brakes applied. I use 2 pedal, normal mode, I don't recall driving over anything. I did just have the back passenger tire replaced. Any ideas?

Edit to add, squeak did not appear to be periodic or have any sort of frequency. Made me think of a squeaky suspension, which I suppose could be an issue but at 30k miles? I'm in the desert, rust is typically not a problem here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
no squeals at 82km but i am all 1 pedal and never going back to 2 pedal, I noticed on my truck the rear disks are very small compared to the front I wonder if the rear brakes are toast given their apparent size.

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update, I went out and stood on the step to shake the truck. I can hear the metal squeak when I shake it. Sounds like its coming from the wheel area. I checked the spare, its secure.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Video/audio?

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Video/audio?
Just got kids to bed and ran out to the garage. Here's me standing on the step and bouncing. Driving it sounds similar just more constant
EDIT: I have plenty of audio when I play the clip on my laptop and phone, but I don't hear the sound after uploading. Not sure what I didn't do...
Edit 2: looks like sound is working, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One more update before I crash for the night. I only hear it when moving forward. There was no sound when I backed up.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Just got kids to bed and ran out to the garage. Here's me standing on the step and bouncing. Driving it sounds similar just more constant
EDIT: I have plenty of audio when I play the clip on my laptop and phone, but I don't hear the sound after uploading. Not sure what I didn't do...
Can hear it fine in the video! Kind of sounds like no brake pad left and scraping rotor but kind of hard to tell where itā€™s coming from exactly! Definitely metal on metal maybe something came loose? Wish I could help more!

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Sorry, I had another thought!
Try turning your emergency brake on and see if you get the same noise!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
On my commute home I suddenly noticed what I thought was either squeaky brakes or some other metal on metal rubbing. Definitely coming from me, I think from the rear. Happens only when moving, even with no brakes applied. I use 2 pedal, normal mode, I don't recall driving over anything. I did just have the back passenger tire replaced. Any ideas?

Edit to add, squeak did not appear to be periodic or have any sort of frequency. Made me think of a squeaky suspension, which I suppose could be an issue but at 30k miles? I'm in the desert, rust is typically not a problem here.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, I had another thought!
Try turning your emergency brake on and see if you get the same noise!
I wouldn't have thought the breaker pad would be scrapping unless the brake was in use. But when I applied the parking brake, the noise stopped. I guess that confirms its the brake. I don't think I have the ability to do anything about it myself though. Plan is to call dealers when they open and see ifi can squeeze in.

Is it possible the brake could be affected from the tire getting replaced?

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I wouldn't have thought the breaker pad would be scrapping unless the brake was in use. But when I applied the parking brake, the noise stopped. I guess that confirms its the brake. I don't think I have the ability to do anything about it myself though. Plan is to call dealers when they open and see ifi can squeeze in.

Is it possible the brake could be affected from the tire getting replaced?
Anything is possible. But it shouldnā€™t be from the tire being replaced. But they couldā€™ve missed up.
The emergency brake it kind of weird if you have four-wheel discs-at least I am assuming that it would be the same or similar to my expedition. As I have not had the wheels off this truck yet.

Since you said, it wasnā€™t making a noise and reverse just drive backwards everywherešŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
My guess would be the dust shield was bent a little. Easy fix. Could be debris in there too. Brakes should still be okay.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I agree that the dust shield is the likely source of the noise. If so, thatā€™s on whoever recently put a tire on that wheel. Is the noise more or less pronounced when turning one way or the other? If so, that might confirm that the dust shield got a little bent. Easy to fix.

OP
OP

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree that the dust shield is the likely source of the noise. If so, thatā€™s on whoever recently put a tire on that wheel. Is the noise more or less pronounced when turning one way or the other? If so, that might confirm that the dust shield got a little bent. Easy to fix.
Getting a wheel on/off is about the extent of my abilities. I called the dealer this morning and they had a loaner available. So I dropped it off and they are going to try and fit me in some time next week and knock out everything I had asked about for the 30k service appointment I had on Sept 9th.

In addition to the 30k service and brake issue, they'll do the battery monitor CSP, look at the frunk (doesn't always latch when closing), a squeaky window (they've had to grease the tracks on it before), and investigate my lack of OTA's. I can't complain about that. Holmes Tuttle Ford in Tucson, they've had their ups and downs but over all they do seem to try and take care of me. The service advisor is always responsive, so A+ on the communication side.
Sponsored