• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I don’t think that the Gen1 destination chargers work on any vehicle that uses the CCS data transfer protocol (ISO 15118) including modern Teslas. Changing the amperage won’t help.

The reason that we can have an adapter is that Tesla uses the same communication protocol as CCS, just with different wiring. It is like how we can all communicate on the web no matter if we are using CAT5 wiring, old two wire telephone jacks, wireless, or coax (cable.). Unfortunately gen1 was a Tesla only thing, before the standard existed.
I've seen photos on Plugshare of Rivian's and other EVs charging at this destination charger. I know for a fact our Lightning will not (tried it repeatedly). I've seen people claiming their Lightning charges just fine on a gen 1 Tesla wall charger at 60 amps but won't initiate a charge at 80 amps.
Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
id recommend doing a search on the forum as it has been discussed alot but the main points of it are:

1. A Tesla to CCS adapter can only DC fast charge at V3 and V4 Tesla superchargers. If your Tesla app said no chargers near by it probably means you were at a V2 which does not work with adapters.

2. A Tesla to J1772 adapter is needed for AC charging. This would be the smaller Tesla Destination chargers/Wall Connectors/Level 2 chargers/etc...

So depending which adapter your purchased its going to do one or the other. Not both.

Once you have the correct adapter for supercharging, you still need to activate the charger either with the fordpass app, the charge app in the truck, the tesla app, or sign up for Plug & Charge with ford and make sure it is activated in your ford account. Plenty of threads on this topic also.
THis /\

My first experience with using the adapter pissed me off. I pulled off at a local charger I knew of and was excited to use my adapter for the first time. Even had a new Tesla owner come over and asked if I could actually use a Tesla charger for my Lightning. He was amazed. After he walked away I plugged in and jumped in the truck to monitor the charge. Nothing but error message.

Figured it was a bad charger so I pulled over to another stall. Same thing. I finally used the Ford software to find a charge site and this one did not show up. I was perplexed. I noticed one 2 miles away was on the map and drove over. Looked like a brand new SC location with the stalls all sideways (what a difference that alone make) and sure enough the truck was off to the charging races.

As NC mike has shared, the first site had been around a lond time. Must have been a V2 and threfore not on the app. Lesson learned. Use the Ford software to locate where you will charge and you will avoid this issue.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
https://www.tesla.com/findus

This is helpful for planning, as noted the availability hasn't been as dramatic as many want you to believe. In most cases I've found that Tesla is in the same areas as EA and others, they just potential have better availability and better location. Still I did break down and order an A2Z last week as it will help with some trips this summer, just not in Mississippi.

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lariat ER, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I have a Tesla and a Lightning. I use the adaptor in the link below with my Home Tesla Wall Charger for my Lightning. It's rated up to 80 amps. I have my Tesla Wall Connector hard wired to a 60 amp circuit which delivers 48 amps or 11.7 kWs to the Truck.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C9SLSZQD/
Some follow-up: I ordered this from amazon, it arrived today and already successfully used it to charge the truck from the Tesla Wall Connector.

Thank you again for the recs!

OP
OP
Madtroniks

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Here is another stop I got a chance to charge at a Tesla station instead of an Electrify America at Walmart.

It’s nice to have multiple options and be able to stop right off the highway instead of going into the city to get to a Walmart.

The Tesla membership plan savings is just icing on the cake.

I purchased an official Tesla OEM adapter and will work on a review this week to compare it to A2Z Typhoon.

Current shipping times are 2 weeks if you order an an A2Z adapter today. Still in time to have some road trips in July / August using the Tesla network.

Feel free to use the below link or discount code "FORD" to save on products sold on A2Z website.

A2Z EV Tesla Supercharger Adapter for Ford - Save 10% + FREE shipping with discount code "FORD". 12 Months Warranty

IMG_4213.jpeg
IMG_4244.jpeg
IMG_4219.jpeg
IMG_4224.jpeg
IMG_4230.jpeg
IMG_4234.jpeg
IMG_4235.jpeg
IMG_4232.jpeg
IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

IMG_4249.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Ugh. Tried a trip yesterday. Charge got low, so I pulled into a Ford dealer to try and charge the truck.

What a useless damned system the FordCharge set up was.

Drove by many banks of Tesla chargers though......of course the charger that was due in May now says "ship by July."

I am so unimpressed with the whole Ford process. The charger network at dealers, the lack of getting things done with Tesla.

This, THIS right here is why 46% of EV owners want to ditch them.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
This, THIS right here is why 46% of EV owners want to ditch them.
Where did that statistic come from? Just thinking of the EV owners I personally know, I don't know of any that regret the decision to go EV.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
I used that same charger last week. This time in the Lightning. It was the same feeling as when it first opened several years ago and I got to use it with my Tesla. It shaves off almost an hour if you are going into or out of Oklahama. Bonus, if you park on the other side of the curb of charger 2d you don’t have to block two stalls.
IMG_5421.jpeg
IMG_5422.jpeg

Last edited:

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

jlcreasy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for tips. Didn’t know there were different tesla charger versions. The area is South Padre Island, TX, Elon’s backyard. We apparently only have V1 and V2 tesla chargers on the island. With this data it shows we do have some compatible chargers aways away.

Too bad adapter doesnt work with my tesla garage charger. Does anyone know if the ford adapter I should get in September will work with that?

Thankful for this board and everyone’s input.
When I first tried the A2Z, I made a silly mistake. The lock on the adapter has to be engaged. I’ve had some Tesla stations where the lock wouldn’t close completely. BUT I have used Tesla from Florida to NC many times and it’s awesome.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Interesting. Didn't bother reading the article of what the journalists think the takeaway is. Instead clicking through to the actual data (https://executivedigest.sapo.pt/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Mobility-Consumer-Pulse-2024_Overview.pdf) shows that 46% of Americans, but 29% worldwide, Australia was the highest with 49%. But the reasons is even more telling. 24% of those are complaining they can't charge at home. Reasonable complaint, and I'd never suggest an EV to this group. 34% say total cost of ownership is too high, which is odd to me that they got into an EV in the first place since the majority of EV TCoO is up front, unless this ties back in to not being able to charge at home and they're counting DCFC costs. The biggest reason, 35%, is the lack of public charging infrastructure. I think we all feel this, but as early adopters we should know that we're in a rough spot there. Ford is trying (and so far not really succeeding) at making this better. But since they've effectively abandoned their dealer charge network their only route forward is the NACS adapters, and they need to crank out far more every month to make this a success.

TL;DR: it's really 29%, unless you think only USA matters, and of that group 50% never should have considered an EV in the first place because they couldn't really afford one, and they can't charge at home.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Didn't bother reading the article of what the journalists think the takeaway is. Instead clicking through to the actual data (https://executivedigest.sapo.pt/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Mobility-Consumer-Pulse-2024_Overview.pdf) shows that 46% of Americans, but 29% worldwide, Australia was the highest with 49%. But the reasons is even more telling. 24% of those are complaining they can't charge at home. Reasonable complaint, and I'd never suggest an EV to this group. 34% say total cost of ownership is too high, which is odd to me that they got into an EV in the first place since the majority of EV TCoO is up front, unless this ties back in to not being able to charge at home and they're counting DCFC costs. The biggest reason, 35%, is the lack of public charging infrastructure. I think we all feel this, but as early adopters we should know that we're in a rough spot there. Ford is trying (and so far not really succeeding) at making this better. But since they've effectively abandoned their dealer charge network their only route forward is the NACS adapters, and they need to crank out far more every month to make this a success.

TL;DR: it's really 29%, unless you think only USA matters, and of that group 50% never should have considered an EV in the first place because they couldn't really afford one, and they can't charge at home.
The thing is that it is not just Ford. Every EV manufacturer is dealing with this. And I don't consider us early adopters. EVs have been been out for almost 20 years. And while I love my truck for daily driving, if I got to to northern New Hampshire, say north of Concord it's pretty freaking sparse up there. And it's not just NH.

And Ford has dropped the ball along with Tesla and/or whoever is building these adapters.

Reactions: JRT

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
The thing is that it is not just Ford. Every EV manufacturer is dealing with this. And I don't consider us early adopters. EVs have been been out for almost 20 years. And while I love my truck for daily driving, if I got to to northern New Hampshire, say north of Concord it's pretty freaking sparse up there. And it's not just NH.

And Ford has dropped the ball along with Tesla and/or whoever is building these adapters.
I get a lot of your frustration. But we are absolutely early adopters if we are using a method of propulsion without adequate refilling stations. EVs have been around for 20 years, longer really. But CCS is only 11 years old ("Volkswagen built the first public CCS quick-charge station providing 50 kW DC in Wolfsburg in June 2013": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System). Tesla pushed EVs and road trip charging harder than anyone with the superchargers, but were able to just invent their own proprietary connector. It wasn't until recently (< 2 years ago) that they decided to make it an open standard. We've been through the "wild west" period of charging, and we're now getting in to an age where it's becoming more stable. EVs may not be in the early adopter phase, but long distance charging absolutely is. Settling on NACS and distributing adapters is the start. "Travel stop" chains like Love's and Bucee's installing chargers is also boosting us. But until we have chargers as ubiquitous as gas stations were in the 50s, we're still in the early stages.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I get a lot of your frustration. But we are absolutely early adopters if we are using a method of propulsion without adequate refilling stations. EVs have been around for 20 years, longer really. But CCS is only 11 years old ("Volkswagen built the first public CCS quick-charge station providing 50 kW DC in Wolfsburg in June 2013": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System). Tesla pushed EVs and road trip charging harder than anyone with the superchargers, but were able to just invent their own proprietary connector. It wasn't until recently (< 2 years ago) that they decided to make it an open standard. We've been through the "wild west" period of charging, and we're now getting in to an age where it's becoming more stable. EVs may not be in the early adopter phase, but long distance charging absolutely is. Settling on NACS and distributing adapters is the start. "Travel stop" chains like Love's and Bucee's installing chargers is also boosting us. But until we have chargers as ubiquitous as gas stations were in the 50s, we're still in the early stages.
I understand your point. We are farther along than it seems people want to believe, BUT with a government mandating adoption and ICE sales this is only going to get dramatically worse. The infrastructure is not there for what we have now, and yet the current administration is forcing adoption onto a populace that clearly doesn't want it, and with an pathetic infrastructure that is unable to keep up.

Just a few months ago we find out that out about $7,000,000,000 there were an astonishing 7 yes SEVEN EV charging stations built in two years.

This, THIS right here is what is making it so that people don't want to adopt them and make the change. Addition research shows that while EVs are being adopted, most adopters are still holding on to an ICE vehicle.

Tesla did what was right for them, and it turns out that they knew what they were doing because now everyone realizes that theirs is a better system. Why can't Ford build the same system? Or EA, or any of the others?

They've all screwed the pooch. And a lot of people 1) regret their EV purchase, 2) don't want to buy one flat out, 3) develop increasing frustration with the system and when it comes time to buy a new vehicle are likely to buy an ICE, 4) the secondary market for EVs has taken a kick in the nuts and that adds more frustration to the issue.
Sponsored