• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
I finally took my truck to the dealer to try and program the trailer brake module after having trouble doing it myself in FORSCAN.... but they could not get it to work and now I have two faults pop up every time I start my truck. "Trailer brake module fault" and "Trailer wiring fault". I'm very disappointed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller Fault 1

Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller Fault 2
Sponsored

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I finally took my truck to the dealer to try and program the trailer brake module after having trouble doing it myself in FORSCAN.... but they could not get it to work and now I have two faults pop up every time I start my truck. "Trailer brake module fault" and "Trailer wiring fault". I'm very disappointed.
But you are still using the original module that came with the truck right? And only added in the switch/gain controller to see if it would work? (Hoping that it would work) I wonder if that original module in trucks that shipped without trailer brakes only looks like a trailer brake controller and is more of a pass-thru solution in case you want to swap it out for a real one down the road.

Fwiw, I was able to purchase the "Trailer Brake Module" for my vehicle from https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/trailer-brake-module-14951227-1?pdp=y (Part #: ML3Z19H332AB). It is now installed and I had no issues enabling it with Forscan. This includes both the black controller box and the gain switch.

No startup issues, and it works as expected. It seems that part goes in and out of stock during the week. My suggestion is watch it... and then perhaps you can buy a module that would just work for you.

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Or, another option would be to just remove the custom gain switch. Reset the Forscan settings you made and then I bet those errors go away.

And then just go with the Curt echo 3rd party brake controller. I don't think you are stuck here. Just have found out that mix/matching parts won't work for this.

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
Thanks for the info. I just called around and one of our local dealers has ML3Z-19H332-AA in stock, so I'm going to pick it up and give it a try. I was able to find installation instructions which show removing the old module under the dash and then replacing it as well as installing the dash switch.

Attachments

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
Or, another option would be to just remove the custom gain switch. Reset the Forscan settings you made and then I bet those errors go away.

And then just go with the Curt echo 3rd party brake controller. I don't think you are stuck here. Just have found out that mix/matching parts won't work for this.
What model of truck do you have? ...and what factory options does it have. I saw one note showing a different part number is required if you have rear parking sensors. (which I have)

Sponsored

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
What model of truck do you have? ...and what factory options does it have. I saw one note showing a different part number is required if you have rear parking sensors. (which I have)
I have a Lariat SR. I typed my VIN number into the parts website and it showed exactly which controllers would work with my truck.

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
I found a dealership with a trailer brake module kit in stock. I installed the module and the dash switch, enabled the sync gain and trailer module in the IPC and trailer module in the TRM with forscan. I tested it and it worked! No errors or faults.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller IMG_1218

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
My ML3Z19H332AB order finally arrived at the dealer. Install appointment in 2 weeks. The labor was $150 when ordered along with the part. Since I don't have a PC or cable adapter, that seems like an Ok price.

dovetaildan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
My ML3Z19H332AB order finally arrived at the dealer. Install appointment in 2 weeks. The labor was $150 when ordered along with the part. Since I don't have a PC or cable adapter, that seems like an Ok price.
Agree. I hope it goes well for you!

Mh8111

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired
So I haven’t read through every post but here is my latest with the MIA trailer brake module. Hope it helps!

After waiting a year…one year…. for the module with nothing but “its backordered” answers from my dealer, I phoned Ford Canada. They MUST have a work around by now?? As I noticed on an earlier post that someone got the part…ending in AA….to to work. This was the part originally sent and the dealer said it wouldnt work, it was a computer connection problem. Ford Canada was no help, gave me a bunch of excuses about chip shortages, although as far as I can tell they are available and going in Lariats and Platinums. I guess waiting patiently for a year was not worth the bother for them to get one to me.

So…needing to haul an excavator, I went the aftermarket route. With the harness supplied, it can’t be hard? It will be ugly but whatever, I can’t wait any longer. But I can’t find where to connect under the dash. I go through all the manuals/online/YouTube…….and find nothing. They supplied the harness….so why not supply instructions??

I’ve had trucks my whole life and connected many of these. So I phone the dealer. They said they have to do it because it also needs a computer set up??

This was done yesterday…for $350. AND I supplied the aftermarket trailer brake controller!!! This is solely dealer labour When I looked under the dash to see where they connected it……it was connected to a pigtail on the wiring harness that was plugged originally into a dummy socket. So it was not at all obvious when I first started looking where to plug in. purposely hidden in fact!

So to try to clarify…..it’s the electrical box on the left side, under dash, there is one pigtail plugged into a FAKE socket. The pigtail wire colour is blue/red-purple/black/yellow-red. This the pigtail to plug the harness into for the aftermarket controller.

When I asked about the “computer set up” they said there was NO computer setup needed?? Wtf??

Seems like they are trying to hide this pigtail/set up required……so we can’t do it ourselves. And then can charge $350. for four wire connections and one plug in! 1/2 an hour at most.

It is working, so I’m done….. but still extremely pissed!

Sponsored

Mh8111

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired
I posted this on another thread….. about where to find the connection for the trailer brake module. Hope this helps!

Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller 1690472375076

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller IMG_1758

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
I was able to fully test the brake controller this weekend with this 26’ rental trailer. It worked great. The only downside I noticed was using cruise control on hilly roads, it would activate the brakes on downhills… it was a lot smoother to drive without cruise control the hilly sections.

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
Finally got mine back from the dealer yesterday. They said the truck was missing some software, escalated to the Ford hotline, got some help and downloads and it's working now.

Bmann

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 lightning
Great to hear! I towed this rental trailer last week. The brake controller worked great.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR & Ford In-Dash Brake Controller IMG_1933
Sponsored