• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

leaking tonneau cover - need to replace

matt.sillz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Mach-e
Occupation
Marketing/Advertising

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
which one specifically do you use/like?
I have a long bed and short bed version of the SE in smooth black without the cleats installed.

I have a retrax cover on another truck that water gets in.

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I have the MX4, looks nice, but only about 90 percent water proof. Leaks a little in the rain, but in the car wash it looks like it was never on there, water everywhere.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Had an Extang Encore (no longer made) for 10 years. My experience, along with a decade on the F-150 forum, is that there is no cover made that doesn't leak somehow.

I have ordered a Diamondback HD ($200 off BF weekend), coming in January. My research showed they are the least likely to leak. I also like the look, and the fact that even with the SE you can put 400 pounds on top (1,600 with the HD).

Everything leaks at the tailgate, because if the cover is pushing down too hard on the tailgate you cannot open the tailgate remotely, and there are small gaps there. But in a driving rain, nothing stays dry.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I use Diamondback covers.
I second this. I've had Diamondbacks for 12 years. The best, most useful cover I've ever owned for what I do.
Ford F-150 Lightning leaking tonneau cover - need to replace 2023-12-12-10.26.05.028

This is the HD. I've owned 2 HDs with an SE in between over the last 12 years. I prefer the HD because I can load the top without fear and it has a few extra tie-down cleats. That said, the SE is very usable and way better than any other tonneau covers I've owned (HD excepted).

No leaks. The seal is very good, even at the tailgate. The neoprene rubber is soft enough that you can close the tailgate no problem when it is closed and not loaded on the top, yet keeps the water out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

matt.sillz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Mach-e
Occupation
Marketing/Advertising
Thanks everyone - this is incredibly helpful.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I got the Peragon cover because I liked the idea that the cover dropped into the bed when it wasn't in use, but also that I could remove it if I wanted the extra space. I was going to get a retractible one but I didn't like the idea of having to drill into the bed for a drain, or the amount of room I would lose at the back of the bed. The Peragon solved both issues (I got the limited HDX one)

MontanaLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning
Everything leaks at the tailgate, because if the cover is pushing down too hard on the tailgate you cannot open the tailgate remotely, and there are small gaps there. But in a driving rain, nothing stays dry.
I have my cover set so that it's tight enough not to leak and the tailgate will come down remotely, but I have to close it manually or open the cover first which works for me.

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Iā€™ve had BAKFlip MX4, BAKFlip F1, RtraxPRO MX and inexpensive Tyger T3 on multiple trucks. The best for leaking has been the $226 Tyger T3 soft cover. Thatā€™s what I went back to with my Lightning and thatā€™s what I have on my 2022 F-450 King Ranch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B94WC2F1/

The only time it leaked was last week when I took the Lightning through a car wash for the first time. There was some water inside by the tailgate where high pressure water bypassed the seal on the top of the tailgate..

Yes,, it flops a little on he highway but itā€˜s easy to fold and unfold and keeps everything dry in the bed. Iā€™m done spending big bucks on tonneau covers.
Ford F-150 Lightning leaking tonneau cover - need to replace IMG_0722
Ford F-150 Lightning leaking tonneau cover - need to replace IMG_0257

Last edited:

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a Lomax folding hard cover and like the MX4 Iā€™d say itā€™s about 95% waterproof. After sitting in the rain all day there might be a small streak of water coming down the tailgate or a few drips in the front corner. But definitely not bone dry.