Sponsored

Lectron Vortex - Help with Stuck NACS adapter --Response from Lectron as of 7/15/2024

Rjpear

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
Hi Folks, I bought a Lectron Vortex NACS adapter last week from Lectron directly (so I assume I didn't get old recalled stock). I had an issue the first time using it after a sucessfull charge I COULD NOT remove the adapter from the NACS Tesla cable. It was stuck. I took about 15-20 minutes with alot of push and pull to get it to fly off the cable. Anyways I received an OFFICIAL response with my complaint to Lectron and thought it may help some other stuck motorist:
New reply for the ticket #LEC00123316

Hi Robert,

Please see attached links for videos with instructions on how to properly remove the NACS connector from the Lectron Adapter:

Once charging is complete, the Tesla Supercharger coupler should be removed while the Vortex Plug adapter is still connected to your vehicle. This ensures the stability needed for proper disconnection. Using the adapter outside of this context is not recommended.
  1. Vortex Usage Video
  2. Vortex Push & Release Video
  3. Vortex with Rivian
To disconnect your adapter after charging:

Ensure the adapter is still connected to your EV.
Push the Supercharger coupler and fully depress the NACS release button on the underside of your adapter.
Remove the Supercharger coupler from the adapter in a smooth motion, keeping the NACS button depressed until the charger is completely removed.
Press the CCS release latch to disconnect the Vortex Plug from your EV.
Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I would not want to be pulling the NACS cable out of the adapter, with the adapter still attached to the vehicle. Over time that would potentially damage the charge port.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I have found in the MANY times I have used my LECTRON adapter, especially the first few times, that it can be confusing as to 'which' adapter/cable end should be detached first, etc.
I found the same problem with the NACS end not wanting to disengage/disconnect from the adapter, which was very odd, and very aggravating, as though I might have to LEAVE the adapter attached to the NACS head simply because it would NOT release it.

Well, forward a few more times, and I've come to realize this as the optimal steps:

A) Stop the Tesla Supercharger by pressing the Charge Port's blue oval button.
B) Pull out the WHOLE Adapter and NACS head cable, as one piece, by pressing the top of the adapter to release from the TRUCK.
C) WAIT
D) WAIT SOME MORE
E) Finally, the Tesla Supercharger will REALIZE that charging is not longer needed, and the unit will start to slow down on it's 'charging' rate, and NOW will finally allow you to press the BOTTOM adapter button to then, hopefully, release the NACS head end.
(I've also found that it does not seem to make ANY difference if you press the NACS' own button, or not, but just the RELEASE clip/button on the bottom of the Adapter, itself.)

This is not the results or actions that most of us would like to have to deal with, but it's the reality of the fact that the SUPERCHARGER is controlling the release of the NACS head, and not the user. Tesla's software / hardware is designed to PROTECT the user, and therefore is not going to quickly release the adapter, UNTIL it is assured the charging POWER is complete.

I've still found that on occasion that the 'waiting' still takes longer than I'd like, and that even the first few tries are unsuccessful, eventually, though, it WILL release.
Maybe Tesla will realize this disfunction and make some changes to create a better outcome.

htobin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Lots of info on this on other posts. For me, grinding down the catch with a dremel tool worked best, but I still keep my clamp, just in case.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
I had the same problem but not quite as bad as you. After a couple of charges it's working normally now. I believe I had to pull the two apart for 2 to 3 charges before it started coming off easily.

Sponsored

Binski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Lectron chastised me for trying to remove it after I remover it from the truck. I got a little rough with it an it came apart. I inspected it a the catch had some plastic scraped off. I clean the catch with a small file and the Lectron is still a little difficult to release but much easier than the first time

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I used my LECTRON again just this morning, and yes, again, you have to 'pause' after you've disconnected the whole Adapter/NACS from the truck, and 'wait' a certain amount of time before it will release... don't know why, but that's the conclusion I've come to that works for me...
Sponsored