First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Bug Guy
I admit that I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Lightning, but I’m considering adding a Lightning Pro or XLT to my company’s fleet. We currently have Eco Boost F150s and Rangers. I’m especially interested in use in the skilled trades. I own a pest control company and would have a spray rig with a 75 gallon water tank in the bed.

My questions are.

How is the range in urban traffic with a standard range model (congested stoplight-stoplight traffic and high speed Interstate highways)?

How does it handle a daily 1000 lb payload, and how does it affect range?

Would you prefer working in an ICE truck instead?
Sponsored

Last edited:

benderofbows

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro; 2009 F-150 (SOLD); 2022 Bronco
Honeymoon phase here as well, haven't gone through a winter yet, but I'm loving my Pro work truck so far. To try and answer your questions, I very easily get 2.8 mi/kWh or 270 miles around town and on 45-55 mph back roads with some hills curves and stops for regen. High speed interstate highways with no regen are just 200 miles of range. Speed (airspeed including headwind etc.) affects range more than any other factor, payload does not seem to impact any if at all. I've loaded the frunk, cab, and bed to capacity and not seen much if any difference. They say Ford planned for 1,000 pounds at all times and that does seem to hold true. Now, watch out for aerodynamic effects of things in the bed... Some boxes of cabinets made themselves known through drag and lower efficiency. Overall all the positives outweigh these negatives; I enjoy having it charged every morning and being able to take that power with me to job sites and running the outlets, etc.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
if your drivers aren't running over 200 miles per day, I don't think you'd have any problem adjusting to the new 'electric' business vehicle - and I'll bet your employees will not only LOVE it, but appreciate, too, never having to stop at a gas station again: at least not for gas : )

interestingly, when I was invited to the 'Drive the Lightning' unveiling event in San Antonio in May of 22, from FORD, the one PRO they had on display was laden down with a 100 gallon liquid tank in the bed, with a pressurized hose and pump, plugged into the bed outlet, using ProPower to 'act' like a pest control or similar landscaping vehicle. This was my one and only chance to ever see the PRO in person, sit in it, get to see it's screens in action, and get a good feel of the 'faux leather' beautiful interior, which is all exactly like my own.

Here's some things to consider: A) air conditioning/heating - your employee can leave them on 24/7 while they are working - no more 'idling' a gas engine B) your installation of a 240v Level 2 J1772 EVSE would be relatively easy at your office, or where ever your Lightning is parked each night, even paying to install these at an employee's home, with offsetting 'electrical' daily stipend, would still net a BIG savings over gas costs. C) no more oil changes D) very little in the way of ANY maintenance - regeneration from the motors means that brakes/brake pads last twice to four times longer. E) the truck has all the 'power' needed to run any auxiliary devices/pumps, etc. F) the truck is quiet, your customers will not even know it is 'ON'... other than air conditioning fans. G) the truck is four-wheel drive H) the truck has no issues with 1,000 lb load in the bed

Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for perspective from drivers of SR Lightings used as work trucks 8 25 2022 LIGHTNING Bell Mountain GEORGIA.JPG

jd350b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L, 2018 Ford Edge Platinum
Originally, I was focused on range and kW/h. Now that I'm comfortable with the truck and it's range, based on what I'm doing with it, I mostly ignore it.
There are too many factors involved to know how far a charge will last (temperature, wind, hills, payload, a/c and heat, speed, driver etc).
I love the truck and it fits my needs perfectly. I know where my chargers are and just charge when it needs it. Most of my charging is done home on a FCSP.
The worst range by far, is towing (anything) in the cold (less than 30 deg F). For, example towing ~2K pounds on a 8X16 equipment trailer, I get ~50% the unloaded range.
I still use the lightning for short trips but anymore weight or longer distance, I have an F350 diesel :)

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Changing to 100% is not recommended so your range is less than 200 miles a day.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightningBug

LightningBug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Bug Guy
Great feedback thank you! First, I’m in South Florida so low temps are a non issue. Second, we rarely tow and I have Ecoboost F150s with plenty of life that can do that if needed. My techs average 100-150 miles a day. I’d love to have an all electric rig in a Lightning setup! And I use camper tops on all of my trucks to keep the cargo out of the weather, so I think that addresses the aero concern.

Here's a pic of some of the crew and trucks. With my old 3.5 EB Platinum.

Ford F-150 Lightning Looking for perspective from drivers of SR Lightings used as work trucks crew pic

Last edited:

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Payload weight seems to have very little impact on range. Have run 2000 lbs in mine and did not really notice. Also, the truck handles even that max payload very easily.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Great feedback thank you! First, I’m in South Florida so low temps are a non issue. Second, we rarely tow and I have Ecoboost F150s with plenty of life that can do that if needed. My techs average 100-150 miles a day. I’d love to have an all electric rig in a Lightning setup! And I use camper tops on all of my trucks to keep the cargo out of the weather, so I think that addresses the aero concern.

crew pic.jpg
I think an SR Lightning fits your use case very nicely.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I'd like to know how the company pays for the electricity used at a workers home? does the truck log the energy use and send the data to the fleet department or does this have to be logged manually? also if a work vehicle can only be used for business use I could see a lot of employees not wanting these things taking up space in their home driveways to charge.

jd350b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L, 2018 Ford Edge Platinum

crew pic.jpg
Warm weather, no towing and average 100-150 miles a day....The lightning was made for you! I guarantee your techs will not want to drive anything else. The truck is smooth, quiet and super quick. BTW A/C works great!

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I agree with all the posts here, you should be fine with the truck. I've hauled large loads regularly and I see little to no drop in range.

However, you're lucky you are in a warm location. In the winter I get down to about 100 miles of range in my XLT SR, that would be a challenge for a crew going from site to site all day. Not an issue for your use case, but in case anyone else from another colder location reads this thread, below freezing the truck takes massive range hits.
Sponsored