• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Los Angeles to Mammoth Lakes

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue; Tesla Y
Occupation
Attorney
I do this trip quite a bit, leaving from Santa Monica area. I will update with more detailed information. I am using the A2Z adapter to charge at Tesla stations.

Tesla stations - 4 of them on this route that I'm aware of.
  1. Mojave (two stations, one next to Dennys and Weinerschnitzel, another one on your right (adjacent to the Thai restaurant) just after you make your right hand turn onto Hwy 14 North leaving Mojave.
  2. Lone Pine - good little station on your Left just after you enter Lone Pine, has an outhouse.
  3. Bishop - I have not used this station, but it's there and I'm nearly positive it works great. (I have used Electrify America in the Vons parking lot)
  4. Mammoth Lakes - 1475 Tavern Rd., the station across the street from Vons near The Stove (not the one across the street from Footloose Sports)
Electrify America - two of them, $0.42 per KWh if you have a monthly subscription account with Electrify America. (I think I'm cancelling my subscription now that I can charge at Tesla stations). The speed is around 100KW, not quite as fast as Tesla.
  1. Coso Junction - at a gas station, same exit as the rest stop, on your right when headed North on 395 (tougher to spot when you are headed South, but it's a left hand turn)
  2. Bishop - in the Vons parking lot.
Charging to 80% in Mojave and Lone Pine should get you to and from Mammoth. My overall efficiency is about 1.7-1.8 miles/KWh. Hopefully this number will improve. The really good news is you can now charge your Lightning in Mammoth at Tesla station (with adapter), whereas before (a few months ago), Bishop was the closest charging spot. I will try to update with some more specific numbers if there's an interest in that data.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I do this trip quite a bit, leaving from Santa Monica area. I will update with more detailed information. I am using the A2Z adapter to charge at Tesla stations.

1. Mojave (two stations, one next to Dennys and Weinerschnitzel, another one on your right (adjacent to the Thai restaurant) just after you make your right hand turn onto Hwy 14 North leaving Mojave.
  2. Lone Pine - good little station on your Left just after you enter Lone Pine, has an outhouse.
  3. Bishop - I have not used this station, but it's there and I'm nearly positive it works great. (I have used Electrify America in the Vons parking lot)
  4. Mammoth Lakes - 1475 Tavern Rd., the station across the street from Vons near The Stove (not the one across the street from Footloose Sports)
Electrify America - two of them, $0.42 per KWh if you have a monthly subscription account with Electrify America. (I think I'm cancelling my subscription now that I can charge at Tesla stations). The speed is around 100KW, not quite as fast as Tesla.
  1. Coso Junction - at a gas station, same exit as the rest stop, on your right when headed North on 395 (tougher to spot when you are headed South, but it's a left hand turn)
Charging to 80% in Mojave and Lone Pine should get you to and from Mammoth. My overall efficiency is about 1.7-1.8 miles/KWh. Hopefully this number will improve. The really good news is you can now charge your Lightning in Mammoth at Tesla station (with adapter), whereas before (a few months ago), Bishop was the closest charging spot. I will try to update with some more specific numbers if there's an interest in that data.
Thanks for sharing your experience, we hope you enjoyed your travels!

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER

Please let us know.

I’ve done most of my trips pre-Tesla and many were tough trips - Death Valley was the toughest. Vegas, Big Bear, San Diego, Santa Barbara…all successful but had challenges

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
I see in your profile you have a 2022 Lariat ER. Do you feel the Standard range Pro can also make the trip using the same stations you've listed.
Looks like we're close neighbors 405/10.

Rick

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
West LA (Marina del Rey) here..
I've done Marina to mammoth stopping in Coso Junction and Bishop on the way up, and coso and I think Mojave on the way home. All EA chargers. Didn't have tesla access yet. Plugged into our VRBO 120v and got a whopping 1% an hour while we skiied.

Sponsored
OP
OP
watson123

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
My first response is below, but I see Pete (post above this one) has done it with fewer stops.

No. I think you'd want to do 4 stops in a Standard Range to get to Mammoth. Coming home is downhill, so your first stretch Mammoth to Lone Pine is fine, but I think you still need 4 stops coming home.

LA to Mammoth on Standard Range
Mojave (charge up to 80%)
Coso Junction (Electrify America, just enough to get to Tesla station in Lone Pine 40 miles away)
Lone Pine (Tesla station, really easy access on your left, may as well charge to 70-80%)
Bishop (Tesla station, up to 70%)

Mammoth to LA on Standard Range
Mammoth to Lone Pine (downhill)
Coso Junction
Mojave (might be able to make it home on 90%)
-perhaps add some other stop around Santa Clarita or Calabasas-

I see in your profile you have a 2022 Lariat ER. Do you feel the Standard range Pro can also make the trip using the same stations you've listed.
Looks like we're close neighbors 405/10.

Rick

Howard S

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
My first response is below, but I see Pete (post above this one) has done it with fewer stops.

No. I think you'd want to do 4 stops in a Standard Range to get to Mammoth. Coming home is downhill, so your first stretch Mammoth to Lone Pine is fine, but I think you still need 4 stops coming home.

LA to Mammoth on Standard Range
Mojave (charge up to 80%)
Coso Junction (Electrify America, just enough to get to Tesla station in Lone Pine 40 miles away)
Lone Pine (Tesla station, really easy access on your left, may as well charge to 70-80%)
Bishop (Tesla station, up to 70%)

Mammoth to LA on Standard Range
Mammoth to Lone Pine (downhill)
Coso Junction
Mojave (might be able to make it home on 90%)
-perhaps add some other stop around Santa Clarita or Calabasas-
I have done it numerous times in my Pro SR using EA only in the winter. Going up that hill to Mammoth Lake takes about 1.1 kWh/mi. Don’t plan on Coso Junctuon EA to work. They have been down numerous times in the past. I charge to as close to 100% as possible i Mojave then at the EA at Vons in Bishop. Always figure something won’t work. EA is bad.

Ford F-150 Lightning Los Angeles to Mammoth Lakes IMG_8839

OP
OP
watson123

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Just got back to LA from Mammoth. I have a BAK tonneau cover on, drove 65mph cruise control for 95% of the ride. Overall stats:

299 miles
2.0 miles/KWh

Mammoth, charged to 86%
Lone Pine, 54%, 2.3 miles/KWh, 97.4 miles, added 37.85 KWh in 17 minutes
Mojave, 31%, 1.9 miles/KWh, 206 miles, added 67.25 KWh in 34 minutes
Venice (Los Angeles), 49% SOC, overall 2.0 miles/KWh, 299 miles

More efficient driving around 65mph, my last trip driving faster was around 1.7-1.8 miles/KWh

Also, I have no idea where the Tesla station is in Bishop. Couldn't find it on the way up to Mammoth.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Just got back to LA from Mammoth. I have a BAK tonneau cover on, drove 65mph cruise control for 95% of the ride. Overall stats:

299 miles
2.0 miles/KWh

Mammoth, charged to 86%

More efficient driving around 65mph, my last trip driving faster was around 1.7-1.8 miles/KWh

Also, I have no idea where the Tesla station is in Bishop. Couldn't find it on the way up to Mammoth.
Nice to hear back!

Speed is amazing for efficiency.

Were there any CADOT rest stops along the way that had free EV fast chargers ?

I use the free 5 station DCFC at the CADOT rest stop off the 5 freeway in Lebec, CA.

Ford F-150 Lightning Los Angeles to Mammoth Lakes IMG_0666.JPG

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer

299 miles
2.0 miles/KWh

Mammoth, charged to 86%

According to Tesla app the 24 stall supercharger is NW of Bishop itself:

Ford F-150 Lightning Los Angeles to Mammoth Lakes IMG_2119

OP
OP
watson123

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Mojave Tesla station did not work yesterday! Through a huge wrench into the trip. I was down to 50%, having started the trip at 91% from Venice. (Took 3 hours to get to Mojave from Venice, left at 3:15 pm, horrible time to leave).

So I ended up using ChargePoint at 45 KWh speed behind Dennys in Mojave. My next stop was Coso Junction where I charged up to 82%, then another stop at Lone Pine Tesla station (it worked) to around 80%, then got to Mammoth with 34% SOC.

Mojave Tesla station does not work right now, that's my conclusion. I'll check it on the way home.
Sponsored