• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ambosway

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Upgraded my XLT LR with Method 316's - 18" +18mm - and Firestone XT 275/70R18 AT load E tires.

I did a lot of research to try to match the rotating mass of the OEM wheels/tires and landed within two pounds. I'm a first time Firestone customer but really happy with the tires. They have great road manners, quiet on the highway, and look awesome on the truck IMO. The XT's seem to have good traction (pun) among commercial/fleet super duty customers with reports of strong distance and highway performance. Tires have more road noise around town but it's not bad at all and I'm used to my previous F150's with cat back setups... kind of like a little more feedback. In general, the stiffer tires feel more planted and track better on the highway. Definitely recommend.

I stuck with 33's as they're big enough for my needs and thought the look of 34's would be lost on the truck without a level, not to mention rub issues. I was planning on a level but think that's scrapped with the performance numbers I maintained, would rather have the road trip range for frequent work trips. Excited to get the truck on some two tracks for deer season.

Commute is 20 miles round trip and relatively urban driving. Averaged 3.2 M/KWH before setup and 3.1 in the past two days. Negligible at best. Did a highway drive today 150 miles at 70 mph and averaged 2.1 M/KWH. On the return trip I was towing my boat and averaged 1.5 M/KWH. Both highway numbers are dead on stock setup - thrilled with the results. Only hiccup was 'fast' charger on the way home pinning at 99 KWH.

Setup against stock:
Ford F-150 Lightning Method 316's, Firestone X/T Tires - Maintaining Stock Performance #'s! IMG_6254

Stock weight, 78#:
Ford F-150 Lightning Method 316's, Firestone X/T Tires - Maintaining Stock Performance #'s! IMG_6301

New setup, 80#:
Ford F-150 Lightning Method 316's, Firestone X/T Tires - Maintaining Stock Performance #'s! IMG_6300

Poke is just the sidewall bulge, which is the look I like and what I wanted:
Ford F-150 Lightning Method 316's, Firestone X/T Tires - Maintaining Stock Performance #'s! IMG_6317

Side view:
Ford F-150 Lightning Method 316's, Firestone X/T Tires - Maintaining Stock Performance #'s! IMG_6319

Charging session with the boat and a wider view pic of the truck:
Ford F-150 Lightning Method 316's, Firestone X/T Tires - Maintaining Stock Performance #'s! IMG_6332
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Upgraded my XLT LR with Method 316's - 18" +18mm - and Firestone XT 275/70R18 AT load E tires.

I did a lot of research to try to match the rotating mass of the OEM wheels/tires and landed within two pounds. I'm a first time Firestone customer but really happy with the tires. They have great road manners, quiet on the highway, and look awesome on the truck IMO. The XT's seem to have good traction (pun) among commercial/fleet super duty customers with reports of strong distance and highway performance. Tires have more road noise around town but it's not bad at all and I'm used to my previous F150's with cat back setups... kind of like a little more feedback. In general, the stiffer tires feel more planted and track better on the highway. Definitely recommend.

I stuck with 33's as they're big enough for my needs and thought the look of 34's would be lost on the truck without a level, not to mention rub issues. I was planning on a level but think that's scrapped with the performance numbers I maintained, would rather have the road trip range for frequent work trips. Excited to get the truck on some two tracks for deer season.

Commute is 20 miles round trip and relatively urban driving. Averaged 3.2 M/KWH before setup and 3.1 in the past two days. Negligible at best. Did a highway drive today 150 miles at 70 mph and averaged 2.1 M/KWH. On the return trip I was towing my boat and averaged 1.5 M/KWH. Both highway numbers are dead on stock setup - thrilled with the results. Only hiccup was 'fast' charger on the way home pinning at 99 KWH.

Setup against stock:
IMG_6254.jpeg

Stock weight, 78#:
IMG_6301.jpeg

New setup, 80#:
IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6317.jpeg

Side view:
IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg
Looking good, Andy! Thanks for sharing these photos with the forum. We hope you are enjoying your Lightning truck!

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Curious: with the stiff sidewall of the E rated tires, did you notice much of a ride harshness increase? Granted, you went from 20" wheels to 18" wheels, so that probably softened the ride as well.

I ask because I just bought a set of 18" F150 wheels that I was going to get some tires for and have been struggling with selecting the right tire. I was trying to avoid E-rated tires because they are heavier, less efficient (more rolling resistance) and have a stiff ride, or at least I assumed anyway.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ambosway

ambosway

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Curious: with the stiff sidewall of the E rated tires, did you notice much of a ride harshness increase? Granted, you went from 20" wheels to 18" wheels, so that probably softened the ride as well.

I ask because I just bought a set of 18" F150 wheels that I was going to get some tires for and have been struggling with selecting the right tire. I was trying to avoid E-rated tires because they are heavier, less efficient (more rolling resistance) and have a stiff ride, or at least I assumed anyway.
When I first put the tires on I did... but then did a quick pressure check and realize why they felt that way... shipped them with full air! I've since dropped them to 55 PSI and they ride great. Like I said in the post, seem to track better on the highway.

If you want 33's in the 18 you're looking at a E tire. If you want to bump down into 32 territory there are plenty of 116T/C/D options.

I would encourage you to look at total rotational mass - tires + wheels - and go from there. Michelin's AT is another option I looked at but liked the Firestone tread better.

Hope this helps.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
When I first put the tires on I did... but then did a quick pressure check and realize why they felt that way... shipped them with full air! I've since dropped them to 55 PSI and they ride great. Like I said in the post, seem to track better on the highway.

If you want 33's in the 18 you're looking at a E tire. If you want to bump down into 32 territory there are plenty of 116T/C/D options.

I would encourage you to look at total rotational mass - tires + wheels - and go from there. Michelin's AT is another option I looked at but liked the Firestone tread better.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I was actually looking at going with 265/70/18s, which have plenty of SL/XL rated options. They are 32.6" diameter instead of the factory 32" diameter for the 18" wheels; the 20" wheels are 33" diameter, so I would be taking a slight hit on overall diameter, but would add almost 1" on extra sidewall.

I am basically down to 4 choices in 265/70/18:
Michelin Defender LTX2 (all season choice)
Firestone Destination AT2
Nokian Outpost nAT
Continental TerrainContact AT

I'd really like to try the Nokian Outpost nATs out, but they are on backorder in this size for a little while.

OP
OP
ambosway

ambosway

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Thanks for the response. I was actually looking at going with 265/70/18s, which have plenty of SL/XL rated options. They are 32.6" diameter instead of the factory 32" diameter for the 18" wheels; the 20" wheels are 33" diameter, so I would be taking a slight hit on overall diameter, but would add almost 1" on extra sidewall.

I am basically down to 4 choices in 265/70/18:
Michelin Defender LTX2 (all season choice)
Firestone Destination AT2
Nokian Outpost nAT
Continental TerrainContact AT

I'd really like to try the Nokian Outpost nATs out, but they are on backorder in this size for a little while.
Sounds like we were after slightly different things with the tire selection but I get it. I looked at the Michelin and Firestone as well - both solid options.

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Looks great!

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning

Setup against stock:
IMG_6254.jpeg

Stock weight, 78#:
IMG_6301.jpeg

New setup, 80#:
IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6317.jpeg

Side view:
IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg
Great upgrade choice! The Method 316's and the Firestone XT are a dynamite combo, and the slight poke is just right!

Sponsored

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Curious where you sourced these from? I seem to only find ones with raised white lettering and never in the wheel/tire combo you have here. Just curious if you don't mind sharing. THANKS

OP
OP
ambosway

ambosway

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Curious where you sourced these from? I seem to only find ones with raised white lettering and never in the wheel/tire combo you have here. Just curious if you don't mind sharing. THANKS
Tire Rack - I built them in a wheel/tire combo and had them shipped directly to my house, white letters are on the inside of the tires
Sponsored