• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mildew Smell (moonroof)

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Geek Stuff
Found the source of my (random) mildew smell to be the moonroof mesh bug scree. The prob is a bad design (having the material mesh) as the drains are not plugged. I even checked right after a rain, and even though no water is pooling in the track, the screen is damp. This later causes the smell once the screen sits in that dark area.
I currently have a ticket in with Ford customer care. Not sure if this makes a difference, but at least they will know it is an issue.

Has anyone removed that screen? Is it even needed? I have never seen that screen catch a bug.

Ford F-150 Lightning Mildew Smell (moonroof) 1722783682919-eh
Sponsored

Rlevans

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat F-150 Lightning
Pull down on the deployed screen while driving and you’ll notice a significant difference in road noise when the roof is open.

I have to clean mine (on other vehicles) occasionally due to this and bug buildup.
We get these stupid blue gnats in the fall that will clog the screen, creating enough wind resistance that the screen will tear.

OP
OP
ooSHAZAMoo

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek Stuff
Pull down on the deployed screen while driving and you’ll notice a significant difference in road noise when the roof is open.

I have to clean mine (on other vehicles) occasionally due to this and bug buildup.
We get these stupid blue gnats in the fall that will clog the screen, creating enough wind resistance that the screen will tear.
Yeh forgot about that. I’ve done it before and it does make a difference in noise.

OP
OP
ooSHAZAMoo

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek Stuff
I was thinking the same. My buddy says on his Toyota they it was plastic instead of fabric.

Sponsored

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
After a rain mine would smell also. Culprit was that mesh part.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Are we sure the smell isn't coming from those crushed redbull cans on the pass floor? :p

OP
OP
ooSHAZAMoo

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek Stuff
Are we sure the smell isn't coming from those crushed redbull cans on the pass floor? :p
so nosy lol....that came from staying up all night trying to figure it out.

OP
OP
ooSHAZAMoo

ooSHAZAMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek Stuff
After a rain mine would smell also. Culprit was that mesh part.
exactly where it is coming from! After the next rain, or car wash...pop it up. Now that I know what it is, i open it afterwards (if I can) to let it air out. Sometimes it does not work out this way that I can. To remove the original smell I used some vinegar and cleaning solution. (vinegar kills mold spores)