• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

No GPS (Navigation / BlueCruise / Satellite Radio... - fixed 6/20/23 Bad Coax Splitter

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Posting this in case in helps others as FSE says it has been seen on other vehicles.

Took delivery of my 2022 mannequin, fully updated, on 5/12/23. On the way home, I lost navigation, showed a ? in the middle of the screen. Lost BlueCruise handsfree, lost SiriusXM. No ability to set a home charging location, because the truck thought it was in another state...

Ford's BEV team had me approve putting tokens on it (monitoring stuff), and then I had to run a report that got sent to them.

They initially suspected a bad APIM. Had me take it to a dealer (2 week wait), who then hooked it up. It generated a code (U3000:57) that told them the APIM was bad. However, this code was due to the tokens, and was supposed to be ignored. Because the tech wasn't familiar with tokens, and an SSM that would have explained it either wasn't looked at or wasn't clear, an APIM was ordered.

A week later the APIM came in, but at the same time the BEV team communicated that they thought the problem was in the pathway to the satellite antenna. In short, a less that $50 cable splitter that apparently has a resistor/circuit board in it. They simply ordered the part, testing was not done again.

Part came in, vehicle went in. I waited for it, and 90 minutes later it was done, and working. Tech wrote (removed FDIM, removed screen, removed APIM, removed all trim, removed ACM, removed glove box and parts of center console, installed new cable, and performed PMI on APIM per FSE, verified proper operation after repair).

Have no idea how the process would have gone if the BEV had not been involved. I wouldn't have had tokens on the truck, the error code wouldn't have happened, would the systems have identified the bad splitter that easily? Don't know.

Of note was that the EV-qualified tech with lots of experience had never done this repair before. And, the FSE happened to be at the dealership working on another vehicle at the same time, so apparently provided some assistance / guidance.

Finally, 39 days after taking ownership I'm no longer charging at "FLO - AddE'nergie - Laboratoire" in Quebec... :D
Sponsored

Last edited:

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
Posting this in case in helps others as FSE says it has been seen on other vehicles.

Took delivery of my 2022 mannequin, fully updated, on 5/12/23. On the way home, I lost navigation, showed a ? in the middle of the screen. Lost BlueCruise handsfree, lost SiriusXM. No ability to set a home charging location, because the truck thought it was in another state...
Thanks for your detailed post RickLightning. I think your experience with involving the BEV team and the APIM and cable fix may help my dealer and me with a similar issue. I am experiencing the same thing, and moreā€¦. Currently I am able to drive, in silence since I lost ALL audio, and just like you, the Ford Navigation App shows a ā€œ?ā€ in the middle of the screen and my dash screen shows I am constantly 19 miles from an destination. BlueCruise ā€œworksā€ but NO handsfree, and NO SiriusXM.

Fortunately, I can drive my truck and use navigation through CarPlay because it uses the iPhone GPS I assume.

My experience: I have 12,200 miles on a 2023 Lariat which I have loved since December. Last Thursday, my FM radio started going off and on intermittently. Then Friday, 7/28 my Audio stopped working altogether. Shortly thereafter, I got the dreaded Powertrain Malfunction and High Voltage warnings, and a slew of other warnings so fast I canā€™t remember them all, like pedestrian sensors not active, front camera failure, speed signs wonā€™t be recognized, etc. I parked, shut down, waited 10-15 minutes, and thank goodness, my truck did restart with most driving functions and no reduced power. I was on the way to Hospital to help my Mom who had fallen during the night! My sister had driven her to the ER, so my truck failure would NOT have put my family at risk, but it was extremely unsettling needless to say.

About 10 miles later, my audio system gave a super loud hiss, stopped for 10 seconds, did it again, and went pop, then nothing, no sound since. My Audio App just shows ā€œAudio Offā€ and wonā€™t turn on, and there is no channels showing.

I scheduled dealer service on August 3rd and requested that a BEV qualified tech be assigned. I gave then a detailed summary of the failures and warnings and asked if I should contact Ford BEV Team to get a preliminary assessment. They adamantly said ā€œNo, just bring it inā€. Fingers crossed! But, I have to admit I am very concerned about the Powertrain and HVB warningsā€¦ and all of the treads here about thatā€¦.

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
My GPS has been flaky in this last week a couple of times and I think there was a much earlier one time fail. Charged to 100% which must have been because it did not recognize Home. Location was off 5 to 20 miles before that, and today Android Auto failed because time of smartphone AA app would not match up with vehicle? Not looking forward to dealer being involved. 5500 miles.
Update 10-11, Called Ford "In Vehicle Tech Dept" and did soft reset (center buttons below 12" display, Audio Power & Fast Forward heldd 10 seconds). No change. Also did Power off, open Driver's door, hit inside Lock button, closed door, wait 2 minutes, then restart, and that was unsuccessful as well. Map is incorrect, tried resetting clock to match smartphone, but no go.
This is what I am dealing with:

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Dealer checkout today, I drove 8 miles there and the mapping was working perfectly. But tech eventually found multiple "breadcrumbs" of previous routes that showed weird straight-line off road moving. He ordered up the splitter, not sure if he looked at this thread that I left on the passenger seat.

"unable to duplicate customer concern. tested GPS and satellite operation and found both operating normally. checked for DTC's, none. checked breadcrumbs and found large deviations from standard roadways resulting to long straight lines. checked OASIS and found no publications. WSM Sec 415-00 PPT W. 1 none shown. 3, satellite radio ok. 5.2V. 7, states to install new..."
"Unrealized ML3Z 10E928 AA :SPLITTER - NAVIGATION F part is on order will notify client when part arrives"

Amazing the problems what one little intermittent failure part can cause. Quality control needs to be 99.999% or higher? "Six Sigma quality is achieved when long-term defect levels are below 3.4 defects per million opportunities (DPMO)." https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/six-sigma.asp

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
GPS was working for a week, then failed again last night returning back from a 50 mile trip out. Charging at home today, the charge went over my home setting of 90%, so I manually told FordPass stop it, and not say "resume schedule" on FordPass as that allowed the charge to restart and keep going. The charge setting for Home in the truck showed a 90% limit, but as this happened before after a GPS fail, I think it is related, even though it showed it was Home.

Also noticed that the Ford Nav GPS showed a very shaky location icon this evening, although in the correct location, as we drove home today from a one mile jaunt.

Dealer has GPS splitter part in, but they say it will take a couple of days to get into it and out again, even though @RickLightning said it only took his dealer 90 minutes. Hope they do not thrash the dash, but I have to schedule soon.

Why would Android Auto Waze or Google Maps have same loss of GPS like Ford Navigation...but not always? Or am I fooling myself, as to which program/app I was using, and the problem was always only the Ford Navigation? I am pretty sure I went back and forth between AA and Ford Nav and both had a failure of showing the correct location.

Here is an image of Breadcrumbs evidently from GPS failures in past, but show correct location currently:
Ford F-150 Lightning No GPS (Navigation / BlueCruise / Satellite Radio...  - fixed 6/20/23  Bad Coax Splitter IMG_20231024_164244759 GPS showing breadcrumbs in odd directions due to previous GPS fails

Last edited:

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Why would Android Auto Waze or Google Maps have same loss of GPS like Ford Navigation...but not always? Or am I fooling myself, as to which program/app I was using, and the problem was always only the Ford Navigation?

AA apps will use vehicle GPS data as long as the quality/accuracy is deemed "acceptable".
If not it'll revert to using the data from your phone, that's why you'll see it bounce back and fourth between way off and spot on.

I had similar issues where it would lock location, but as soon as I made a turn the gps just kept going straight. In the end they replaced (if I remember correctly) the apim module and that fixed my issues.
This was after pretty extensive logging and involving Ford corporate.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Part installed which hopefully has permanently fixed the losing of a proper GPS location signal: ML3Z 10E928 AA : Splitter - Navigation FM . Tech wrote "removed and replaced coax splitter"; actual time 2.5 hrs.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Is it normal (and after the GPS location is doing well after the splitter part was replaced) for the Ford Navigation system map "vehicle arrow" to be jittery / shaky as I am moving down the road? Android Auto arrows are steady / smooth.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Nope

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Here is the jittery display:

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
And then after letting the truck sit for a couple of weeks at the end of the year, plugged in, took a 20 mile ride and the Ford Nav GPS showed my location stuck at home. Android Auto mapping was fine. Next ride, Ford Nav worked Ok for the location going down the road, although still jittery when going slow. Interesting that Shaky map not as noticeable at higher freeway speed, but location arrow does make little jumps. Not sure if that is acceptable or if that was always the way the arrow reacted at higher speed.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Anyone else with a jittery map display like the video I posted above? Dealer could find no fault with the shaky map / location arrow display. No codes set, so they call it good on the service report, even though the service writer said the tech saw my issue and was trying to figure it out.

Not looking forward to viewing the Ford Navigation when using their Charge Point system when it is jittering and possibly losing location at any time. And I have to check if Ford Navigation has properly found my Home every time before I charge, so I do not charge to 100% by mistake. @Ford Motor Company

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Escalate or find another dealer. This isn't right. Service techs that will only address issues if there is a fault code are lazy, but also that's pretty much all they can bill time for, so it's not like Ford is making this easy on drivers. Maybe check around this forum to find the number for Fords BEV team to see if they'll help get you to a dealer that knows their ass from their elbows.

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 F150 Lightning Lariat ER (Sept ā€˜23 build)
Anyone else with a jittery map display like the video I posted above? Dealer could find no fault with the shaky map / location arrow display. No codes set, so they call it good on the service report, even though the service writer said the tech saw my issue and was trying to figure it out.

Not looking forward to viewing the Ford Navigation when using their Charge Point system when it is jittering and possibly losing location at any time. And I have to check if Ford Navigation has properly found my Home every time before I charge, so I do not charge to 100% by mistake. @Ford Motor Company
My Apple Maps kind of looks like that, I use the wireless CarPlay. Iā€™ll have to try Google maps and plugging it in to see if it does the same.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
occupying space
Beyond the Ford Navigation shakiness, phone calls now are loud static instead of hearing a voice. This thread goes into more comments:
static-noise-during-phone-call.16402/
Sponsored