• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Notice from Ford today..."New Ford Intelligent Backup Power experience"

Pitbull2o08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
I remember back in May, we were supposed to get another App to monitor this. Is this website the "app" i need to add to my phone?
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I live on the side of a 7000' mountain where power interruptions aren't unusual. This works for me.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 14.22.47.png
That's great and all, but Ford didn't include "throw a giant generator on to your house because HIS is completely unreliable" in the sales brochure for the truck. They did, however, promise that my lights could stay on in the case of emergency, and until a couple people spoke up, all I've ever heard about are problems from that system.

Jake24

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 XLT Avalanche 9.6kW
That's great and all, but Ford didn't include "throw a giant generator on to your house because HIS is completely unreliable" in the sales brochure for the truck. They did, however, promise that my lights could stay on in the case of emergency, and until a couple people spoke up, all I've ever heard about are problems from that system.
With Generac I get a fully functioning house in the event of an outage & also get to drive my truck.
C'mon, how many have actually installed a trouble free HIS? A sketchy gimmick at best...no thanks. 👎

Base price for installing Ford Charge Station Pro ranges from $1,250-$1,650. When paired together with HIS hardware & installation, base price ranges from $8,900-9,400 USD

Last edited:

LightningDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat standard range
Occupation
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
Does anyone even have a "working as intended" system set up? I feel like I've only ever seen a couple people say they were close.
I purchased my 2022 Lightning specifically for its bidirectional battery to use the HIS for our all-electric, solar powered home when the TX grid drops. I had Sunrun install the HIS ($9k including hardware) 2 months after finding my Lariat SR at my local dealer.

The system worked exactly as expected for a year, then with a truck software update in February the Charge Station disappeared from my Truck/Ford Pass and neither Ford or Sunrun could tell me how to reinstall. And after a week, Ford let me know it was an issue on their end (software) and their engineering team would have it fixed by May 1. Which came and went without a fix & we had a couple power outages.

Ford offered me a $1,200 payment for the hassle & got the software fixed to allow the
pro charger to be reconnected to the HIS & the HIS functioning by mid June.

All is well now.

But what a reminder as to how an EV is complysoftware dependent. We drive a big ass battery powered computer!

Doug- Fort Worth, TX

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I purchased my 2022 Lightning specifically for its bidirectional battery to use the HIS for our all-electric, solar powered home when the TX grid drops. I had Sunrun install the HIS ($9k including hardware) 2 months after finding my Lariat SR at my local dealer.

The system worked exactly as expected for a year, then with a truck software update in February the Charge Station disappeared from my Truck/Ford Pass and neither Ford or Sunrun could tell me how to reinstall. And after a week, Ford let me know it was an issue on their end (software) and their engineering team would have it fixed by May 1. Which came and went without a fix & we had a couple power outages.

Ford offered me a $1,200 payment for the hassle & got the software fixed to allow the
pro charger to be reconnected to the HIS & the HIS functioning by mid June.

All is well now.

But what a reminder as to how an EV is complysoftware dependent. We drive a big ass battery powered computer!

Doug- Fort Worth, TX
Your story also highlights how we need a universal standard for V2L. Ford is here doing their own thing, Tesla is too. PG&E is doing something completely different. Not sure about what other OEMs are doing. If we had a standard we wouldn't have to depend so much on legacy car manufacturers trying to be software companies. They have a horrible track record of it.

SC_Sparky

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Black
Because I could not find anyone in my area of Midwest who was willing to be an installer of the Ford/Sunrun system, I found someone who had off-grid experience and installed a home battery back-up system with solar feed enabled to charge it when a grid failure (otherwise solar supplements home and sells to grid, if excess). Then, I (well, they...) installed a 30 amp generator type plug in the garage that is wired to optionally charge the home battery from the Lightning 240V truck bed outlet. Not cheap but this had the most flexibility (esp. because it uses my solar or Lightning if grid down) and I don't need to keep the Lightning trapped at home to keep circuits energized, if I don't want to.
Question- which charge controller and battery system are using out of curiosity?