• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

OTA odd sounds

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
Ford Lightning OTA Updates: A Need for Improvement
I'm a big fan of the Ford Lightning and appreciate the complexity of engineering such a vehicle. However, I've noticed some areas where the OTA update process could be significantly improved.
The most perplexing issue is the appearance of a loud pump during the update process. This noise is completely absent during regular operation, leading me to believe it's directly involved in the update. Could this pump be responsible for the excessive amperage draw that's reportedly killing 12V batteries? Ford should investigate this further.
Additionally, the unpredictability of OTA updates is frustrating. As an owner who has experienced seamless updates with Rivian and Tesla, the Lightning's process feels outdated. It would be beneficial to have more control over the timing of updates and to receive clearer communication about what to expect during the process.
I have immense respect for Ford and Jim Farley, but these OTA issues, coupled with the recent HV battery concerns, have dampened my overall satisfaction. I believe these issues can be resolved with focused attention and improved communication.

Upload an image
This prompt requires you to add an image. To add an image, select .
Got it Need a little help with this prompt?
Power up your prompt and Gemini will expand it to get you better results
Got it
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Why are you posting AI stuff?

OP
OP

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
Why are you posting AI stuff?
Do you have anything constructive to add? These are my thoughts. I did a 5+ hour update with FDRS and my truck sounded like an industrial boiler and pulled 50+ amps the entire time.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
With regard to the pump noises, it's been mentioned a few times that they want them running as a fail-safe while updating related controllers, it probably does have a negative impact on the LVB sizing and duarbility during the overall OTA process, hopefully this lesson has been painfully acknowledges and will be a design enhancement in up coming new BEV lines (T3, refreshed midsize, new mid-size, etc...)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Do you have anything constructive to add? These are my thoughts. I did a 5+ hour update with FDRS and my truck sounded like an industrial boiler and pulled 50+ amps the entire time.
Last 5 lines are AI generated, no?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I need another cup of coffee......

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Yes, the cooling pumps turn on during certain updates (OTA or FDRS) on the EV's. This extra draw and the lower capacity 12v battery (compared to ICE vehicles) is the reason a 40amp minimum is required for FDRS updates. During OTA updates that require the EV's to be inhibited, the HVB charges the LVB during the update. I have seen many cases where the SoC of the OVN is higher AFTER the OTA than it was before due to this process.
Sponsored