• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Lol….. like Uber for EV charging….. hmmmmmm, quick one of you business savvy people come up with the idea and sign me up

OP
OP
vandy1981

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

Sponsored

OutofSpecKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi e-tron, Winnebago Revel
Occupation
YouTuber
I think they got a flat when they were offroading.

Yep - Zach sent it through the mud puddle and must have clipped a rock - new tire going on tomorrow morning. For now, all the tests we can do that don’t relate to driving efficiency / dynamics. We’ll do it all when we get the new tire on.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Thanks for sharing. The Out of Spec guys are going full gonzo with their testing.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
@OutofSpecKyle, great test and I appreciate the information you provide.

You noted in your video (see transcript excerpt below) that each of the Lightning’s inverters can separately put out 3.6 KWh.

Can the single 240V/30A outlet in the bed draw from both inverters simultaneously (for 7.2 KWh total draw), or are you limited to 3.6 KWh max. on that outlet, and you can only access the remaining 3.6 KWh (the other inverter) from the other outlets in the Frunk?

Followup question:: If it can, and you’re drawing 7.2 KWh from the 240A bed outlet (e.g., providing temp power to your house), does that limit the use of the outlets in the
Frunk?

Again, thanks for all of your testing!

From your video:
20:21 Timestamp
“……what's interesting also another limitation of pro power on board is if you were to use the 240 volt connection, right, and you maxed that out at 7.2 kilowatts, it means that these other plugs, uh, you can't pull anything more from it.

So while there's more plugs and available power here in terms of, you know, stuff you can plug in, its maximum is 7.2 kilowatts, and the thing is, you have to arrange your power bank by bank because one bank does 3.6, the other bank does 3.6, so that's why we did this kind of weird equation thing so we wanted to at least have one of the inverters going to the max 3.6 kilowatts to see if it would overheat and that's what we did with the rivian and the truck still providing full power…..”

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
@OutofSpecKyle, great test and I appreciate the information you provide.

You noted in your video (see transcript excerpt below) that each of the Lightning’s inverters can separately put out 3.6 KWh.

Can the single 240V/30A outlet in the bed draw from both inverters simultaneously (for 7.2 KWh total draw), or are you limited to 3.6 KWh max. on that outlet, and you can only access the remaining 3.6 KWh (the other inverter) from the other outlets in the Frunk?

Followup question:: If it can, and you’re drawing 7.2 KWh from the 240A bed outlet (e.g., providing temp power to your house), does that limit the use of the outlets in the
Frunk?

Again, thanks for all of your testing!

From your video:
20:21 Timestamp
“……what's interesting also another limitation of pro power on board is if you were to use the 240 volt connection, right, and you maxed that out at 7.2 kilowatts, it means that these other plugs, uh, you can't pull anything more from it.

So while there's more plugs and available power here in terms of, you know, stuff you can plug in, its maximum is 7.2 kilowatts, and the thing is, you have to arrange your power bank by bank because one bank does 3.6, the other bank does 3.6, so that's why we did this kind of weird equation thing so we wanted to at least have one of the inverters going to the max 3.6 kilowatts to see if it would overheat and that's what we did with the rivian and the truck still providing full power…..”
Yes, you an draw 7.2kW from the 240V outlet (as long as you don't use any of the other outlets in the bed). You can also draw full power (2.4kW) from the Frunk at the same time.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yes, you an draw 7.2kW from the 240V outlet (as long as you don't use any of the other outlets in the bed). You can also draw full power (2.4kW) from the Frunk at the same time.
Thanks, that’s what I thought based on the vehicle’s specs. It was @OutofSpecKyle ’s comment in his video about the function of the Lightning’s two onboard inverters that caught my ear, caused me to refer back to the video’s transcript, and thus ask my question.

I’m still interested in more info on how to best used the onboard power, including any challenges/limitations the arrangement & programming of the inverters present…..

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
would have been better to charge 1 car/truck on the 240 volt only and see what kind of miles that car/truck could have gotten in an hour. That would be more real world helping a friend kind of setup
Sponsored

Last edited: