• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Potential Ford Lightning Buyer. Would love to hear your advice.

jhawkbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I wish I knew how horrible the software is before I bought mine.
It's broken, I get errors, and Ford refuses to help me.
If I could go back in time, there's no way I would ever buy this truck again.
Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I wish I knew about all the things you could add yourself and upgrade on the truck! I found out about them right before I got mine, so I had a long list of upgrades to do. If you don't need the range, I'd say go with the Pro as you can upgrade a lot of the parts and make it like an XLT for a lot cheaper anyway. I've installed passive entry door handles, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, and a heated steering wheel on my Pro. I would recommend doing all the upgrades that you can get from ford, like tow tech, max towing, tailgate step. Those will be either too difficult or too expensive to do after the fact. Only thing I really wish I had was the larger battery, but it hasn't been so bad. I've taken my truck on multiple long trips and the charging is much easier now that we can use Tesla stations. I even purchased a Trailmanor trailer this past weekend and drove it 350 miles back home with little issue (other than my range getting killed while I was driving it through mountains). I didn't even have to disconnect the trailer when I charged since most of the Tesla stations had either a huge amount of empty spaces, or were so big that I didn't block anyone with the trailer still attached.

As for a tonneau cover, I got the Peragon Limited HDX one for mine and I like it a lot. I love the fact that I can remove it quickly and regain the space in the bed if I need it, and that when I open the cover it drops down and doesn't block my rear window.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I wish I knew how horrible the software is before I bought mine.
It's broken, I get errors, and Ford refuses to help me.
If I could go back in time, there's no way I would ever buy this truck again.
Pretty sure you got a lemon, at least with some of the electronic components. You should consider filing a buyback request or starting a lemon law filing. You've got some bum parts in there, and I think it's hardware, not software. I see you're trying a mongoose and to manually patch some things up. Good luck. Also, you might just try finding a better dealer service center. Kind of sounds like the one you were at was pretty apathetic about your situation.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
2023 new ER Pro - back hitch step - tinted windows - $1500 free FordPass points matching white tonneau - steering wheel cover / seat cushion - both Dr. Scholls copper infused - $56k OTD 5 years 0% FMC financing.

OP
OP

Laxputs

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shopping
Is this all I need to charge at all Tesla chargers? Thanks

Amazon

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Home charging is a must...for any EV.
I'd lean toward the larger battery, but you do you.
Don't get hung up on when you are getting the next software update...just live.
I got the Ford spray in bed liner and I also got the husky bed matt. Yes, it's a city truck.
The only other thing I have purchased so far is the center console organizer...which is nice.
My first EV, but my wife drives a Tesla.
I drive about half highway half city.
It is a great vehicle.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I'd love to know what you wish you knew before buying your Lightning. I'm considering a Pro or XLT. My lifestyle well fits well the standard range battery, the temps here mild year-round, I don't tow my boat more than a few blocks. What upgrades do you recommend? Anything I should consider? Much appreciated.
Do not buy it. @Ford Motor Company does not value customers. If you are lucky, and do not have to deal with a a bad dealership that hates EVs, then you may enjoy the product. If you are part of the unlucky ones that need a battery replacement etc, then be ready for one of the worst experiences in your life.

I wish I had never bought a Ford Vehicle, let alone one of their EVs.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Do not buy it. @Ford Motor Company does not value customers. If you are lucky, and do not have to deal with a a bad dealership that hates EVs, then you may enjoy the product. If you are part of the unlucky ones that need a battery replacement etc, then be ready for one of the worst experiences in your life.

I wish I had never bought a Ford Vehicle, let alone one of their EVs.
It does suck that our experiences are so tied in to dealers. Sales guys don't really matter, they may just try to steer you to a vehicle with a higher margin. But when the service department is untrained, and doesn't believe that EVs are worth it, you'll never get decent service from them. It's why several local groups have discussed where the good and bad dealers are. OP needs to research which dealers in their area have had good service department experiences with EVs. and go there. Also good to know which ones to avoid.

OP
OP

Laxputs

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shopping
If I stay somewhere with a dryer outlet accessible to parking, do I need an adapter this unit will not provide? Thanks. Link

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Often you will run into the need of an additional adapter for dryer plugs.

speedy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Highlander, Mazda miata
Right now for a ‘24 in Canada, there’s not much savings going for a Pro over an XLT. The XLT is eligible for the “ford employee pricing” promotion with about $6500 off MSRP, there is minimal to no discount on Pro. If you go standard range, then you also get $5000 off for the federal iZev rebate plus whatever provincial rebate you get where you live. If you hunt around and don’t mind travelling cross country to pick one up, there are still a very few ‘23 extended range XLTs out there, to be had at about $65k Cdn ($46k US) which is a helluva deal (but not eligible for the rebates though)

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
It's doubtful you'd ever really run into a 'dryer outlet' being anywhere close enough to reach from your truck - a dryer is typically in a home, and not outside, and is also BEHIND the dryer, most of the time, hard to reach... no, not the reality you might be assuming...
also, dryer outlets come in several varieties, many 3-prong with no ground, which would require an adapter.

the 'adapter' you refer to in order to use Tesla SUPERCHARGERS is a NACS - to - CCS unit, for certain Superchargers that allow us LIGHTNINGS to use.
the other 'adapter', though, is only for LEVEL 2 'slow' charging, such as at Tesla DESTINATION units at hotels, etc.

TWO things are in play right now for using Tesla Superchargers:
A) you must have a Ford or third-party NACS-To-CCS Adapter*
B) you must use a 'NACS compatible' or 'Other EV compatible' Tesla Location
C) *you will have to use your OWN adapter at 'CCS compatible' locations, or use the Tesla 'built in' MagicDock adapter, at certain 'Other EV compatible' locations
D) you will simply PLUG IN to start charging. There is NO screen to fool with. There is NO need to try to activate the Tesla unit any other way, as your own BlueOval network account will provide the payment transaction, when complete. Secondly, some Tesla APP users will have an account that provides a slightly lower charging cost, if you prefer, with a MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION premium, but this requires you to active the station from the APP.

I have used Tesla SUPERCHARGERS almost EXCLUSIVELY for the last several months, and other 5,000 miles, with my third-party LECTRON Nacs-to-CCS adapter, and it works easily and perfectly every time. PLUG - N - CHARGE could not be easier. BILLING and Payment is AUTOMATIC thru Ford. They just WORK.
Unfortunately, I am now spoiled, and when a third-party CCS charger must be used, such as EA, or CP, or EVgo, or Autel, etc., I bristle at the notion of having to use 'those' units... oh well : )

Ford F-150 Lightning Potential Ford Lightning Buyer. Would love to hear your advice. Screenshot 2024-08-23 11.34.54 AM