Power Deployable Running Boards

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
I was just playing with the build and price tool and noticed the Power Deployable Running Boards were back as an option. Has anyone seen these actually installed on a production truck? If so, has anyone figured out the various part numbers needed for them to retrofit on 2022/2023 models that were already built?
Sponsored

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Self Employeed
I was just playing with the build and price tool and noticed the Power Deployable Running Boards were back as an option. Has anyone seen these actually installed on a production truck? If so, has anyone figured out the various part numbers needed for them to retrofit on 2022/2023 models that were already built?
I have them on my Platinum. What do you want to know

OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you take a picture lengthwise that would show how far away from the body they deploy. I’m debating about retrofitting them to my 2022, but not sure if it’s really worth it or not. The sidesteps I have now are done, but I have big feet and it would be nice if the these put the step a bit further out from the body than the ones I have.

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employeed
Can you take a picture lengthwise that would show how far away from the body they deploy. I’m debating about retrofitting them to my 2022, but not sure if it’s really worth it or not. The sidesteps I have now are done, but I have big feet and it would be nice if the these put the step a bit further out from the body than the ones I have.
You should know before you consider that option that you cannot just throw them on. The entire drivers seat has to be replaced in order to get the correct modules that allow the boards to function.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The AMP board will be lower and stick out farther when deployed compared to the factory power steps. They are expensive, but they tend to be had cheaper through vendors on this site, and especially during holiday sales. They will also be extremely easier to install compared to adding OEM.

OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow, I assumed (wrongly) that they would just be plug and play. Oh well, I'm not dissatisfied with my current steps, so I'll just stick when them.

Thanks everyone!

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Wow, I assumed (wrongly) that they would just be plug and play. Oh well, I'm not dissatisfied with my current steps, so I'll just stick when them.

Thanks everyone!
I have them on my 2023 and previously on my ICE 2018 - love them. They come out further, lower, and have a larger step than their fixed counterparts. Much nicer for my elderly parents to climb in. They are inexpensive to order with the new vehicle but expensive to retrofit. They also take a bit of maintenance to keep them operating smoothly (Lubrication and sealing each fall before the salt flies)

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
You should know before you consider that option that you cannot just throw them on. The entire drivers seat has to be replaced in order to get the correct modules that allow the boards to function.
Interesting. I wanted to order the retractable running boards, but they were not an option when I placed my Lightning order. Local dealer with a large accessories dept. tried to order from me and they were on backorder from Ford for a long time. It was only a little over a month ago that they finally got told by Ford the retrofit isn't possible because of module support and they're a factory-only option. They can buy the deployable running boards for as replacements but not supported for installation on my truck.

I have not liked any of the aftermarket ones I've seen so far. The one that I've seen specifically made for the Lightning sits properly at the right height when deployed and looks good, but doesn't have the lock functionality or other features you get with the factory boards.

baddceo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Employeed
Interesting. I wanted to order the retractable running boards, but they were not an option when I placed my Lightning order. Local dealer with a large accessories dept. tried to order from me and they were on backorder from Ford for a long time. It was only a little over a month ago that they finally got told by Ford the retrofit isn't possible because of module support and they're a factory-only option. They can buy the deployable running boards for as replacements but not supported for installation on my truck.

I have not liked any of the aftermarket ones I've seen so far. The one that I've seen specifically made for the Lightning sits properly at the right height when deployed and looks good, but doesn't have the lock functionality or other features you get with the factory boards.
This is a true statement. I forced the deployable with my dealer on my order back in June of 2022 and my 23 platinum was the first production run with deployable boards and the cost was like $300. I agree the aftermarket boards are good but you cant deploy them from in the cabin which I like to do when getting washed.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician

I've had both the aftermarket and factory boards. AMP on my 2018 and factory on my 2021. They both have their pros and cons. Factory boards are integrated to the truck better. Aftermarket stop at a better height and stick out a little farther.

Between the two, I would prefer the aftermarket boards over factory since they went with a different supplier for the 2021+ trucks. 2015 to 202 factory boards were made by AMP. Now they are produced my Magna. They are significantly louder when deploying too.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I agree the aftermarket boards are good but you cant deploy them from in the cabin which I like to do when getting washed.
That's not true. The AMP boards have an available switch that you can manually control them with. You just have to order it separately.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I had them on my ICE Lariat, and my Expedition. They are great, but be advised that in snowy environments they can have issues and need regular cleaning. Very expensive repair… with my Lightening, I don’t have them, and honestly I don’t miss them at all. Not until this question did I even think about them!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I had them on my ICE Lariat, and my Expedition. They are great, but be advised that in snowy environments they can have issues and need regular cleaning. Very expensive repair… with my Lightening, I don’t have them, and honestly I don’t miss them at all. Not until this question did I even think about them!
I don't miss mine either. But if I was ordering today, I couldn't pass them up for how little Ford is charging for them. I think they are under $300 on the Lightning and they were over $1200 on my 2021 Lariat.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I don't miss mine either. But if I was ordering today, I couldn't pass them up for how little Ford is charging for them. I think they are under $300 on the Lightning and they were over $1200 on my 2021 Lariat.
That’s cheap. But still… one more thing to maintain and hope doesn’t go wrong… I had no issues in my ICE Lariat, but tons of issues on my Expedition (although the mechanisms were different, which could explain the quality issue)
Sponsored