• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power deployed steps vs. fixed steps

willk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Ford Maverick
Occupation
retired
Do the power deployed steps extend lower and further out than the fixed steps? I am talking about the PWR-DEPLOYABLE BDS W/BLK ACCNT option (not 3rd party). Just wondering as it would make it easier for my elderly in-laws.
Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I don’t have the OEM retractable steps, (not an option on the PRO) but briefly saw them in action while shopping for my lighting. They extend much lower, and slightly further out than fixed.
I had AMP retractable steps installed, for the exact same reason. I believe the AMP steps go a little lower and further out than OEM, and may be better suited for trucks that have been lifted. Or in my case, legs that refuse to 😂

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My wife is struggling at times to step up into the cabin, I've got to get serious about testing the OEM models before she suggests selling the Lightning ..... that ain't happening.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
They make a HUGE difference. They are definitely lower and further out than the fixed boards and provide a solid step instead of just a toe. Both my father and mother are elderly and handicapped. The retractable boards make it much easier for them to get in. I've had them on my 2018 ICE and now on my Lightning and will order them on my next.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
They make a HUGE difference. They are definitely lower and further out than the fixed boards and provide a solid step instead of just a toe. Both my father and mother are elderly and handicapped. The retractable boards make it much easier for them to get in. I've had them on my 2018 ICE and now on my Lightning and will order them on my next.
You've sold me ..... I'm going to check in with the dealer to order them and install on this summer's tire rotation visit and clear up the LVB CSP alert for which I've already replaced the module.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The factory power steps are a little lower than the fixed steps when deployed, and stick out further.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
You've sold me ..... I'm going to check in with the dealer to order them and install on this summer's tire rotation visit and clear up the LVB CSP alert for which I've already replaced the module.
It's not plug and play to install the factory steps after the fact. You'd be better off to go aftermarket.

PACSMAN

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I've had both on my Lightnings and I agree the power running boards stick out a little farther and lower than the fixed ones. I'd order them again.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The only warning is that you need to do fall maintenance to keep them operating smoothly since you live in the salt zone. A little spray of Fluid Film (or equivalent) in the right places keeps things sealed and lubricated. No issue on my 2023 since I now do the maintenance, but my 2018 needed a bit of "loosening up" after about 3 years. I now do the fall maintenance religiously since it only takes 5 minutes.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I added simple-to-install fixed running boards soon after my truck arrived: haven't regretted one moment, and certainly DON'T need any 'moving' running boards - the fixed variety are perfect and don't impede on any use of the truck. They are just there when you need them.

Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's not plug and play to install the factory steps after the fact. You'd be better off to go aftermarket.
I believe Ford has the manufacturing rights from the AMP Research design. I'd go that route if aftermarket is easier.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
My wife is struggling at times to step up into the cabin
Yes -- same here: my wife was complaining that it is difficult to get in and out, and that she feels like her footing isn't secure, particuarulay when getting out of the cab.

I went with the AMP PowerSteps, and it has made a world of difference for her. I don't know about the OEM retractable steps, but the PowerSteps swing out lower and farther than the fixed running boards. They are also set up so that you can get your full foot firmly on the step, so now she feels more secure climbing in and out of the cab.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I believe Ford has the manufacturing rights from the AMP Research design. I'd go that route if aftermarket is easier.
AMP produced the factory power steps for the 2015 to 2020 model years. 2021+ are made by Magna.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Yes -- same here: my wife was complaining that it is difficult to get in and out, and that she feels like her footing isn't secure, particuarulay when getting out of the cab.

I went with the AMP PowerSteps, and it has made a world of difference for her. I don't know about the OEM retractable steps, but the PowerSteps swing out lower and farther than the fixed running boards. They are also set up so that you can get your full foot firmly on the step, so now she feels more secure climbing in and out of the cab.
I had the AMP steps on my 2018, and the factory Magna steps on my 2021. The AMP steps are lower, and stick out farther, when deployed. They are also quieter in and out of the cab.

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
My 2023 Pro has a grey two-pole oval shaped power plug down underneath that looks like it would plug into power running boards. Do the Pro trucks come set up for that or are those just for zone lights? Am I going to run into some kind of a Forscan nightmare making power boards work?
Sponsored