• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power tailgate closed on its own

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MachEauto awd ER XLT Lightning ER
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
Has happened to me twice. One time caught on security camera with a box of donuts sitting on it. The second time was 10 minutes ago at the campground. This time , thankfully with nothing on it. Fob was in the camper with no one in the camper. Did not beep. Just randomly closed. Been on very slow level 2 chargers for around 4 hours both times. First time a 30 amp this time a 16 amp. Has never randomly opened. Just the 2 occurrences of closing. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What is your most recent OTA version?

OP
OP
Mustang11s

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
I I received 6.14.0 this morning. The other time it happened was in February. Until the ota I received this morning I had not received one since December

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
If the tailgate was sitting down for quite a while before it decided to close, it's not recalibration. But a couple of times, one time at least after pulling the 12V battery, I've had the tailgate cycle up and down a time or two immediately after putting it down. I figured it was just recalibrating its UP and DOWN positions.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
This happened to me this weekend, first time. Drove 100 miles tailgate down with a large load. Parked, unloaded but didn't put up the tailgate. I went outside for something else several minutes later and just as I stepped outside heard the tailgate locking closed. I don't carry the fob, only PaaK, and phone was in my pocket. 🤷‍♂️

Wish there was an explanation because if the tailgate goes down on its own while in my garage I'm gonna be pissed.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Wish there was an explanation because if the tailgate goes down on its own while in my garage I'm gonna be pissed.
My greatest fear, I have no extra clearance.

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
So this is interesting to hear. A couple days ago, my 2024 Flash was off, doors unlocked and the frunk open. We were outside near the truck amd my wife asked me if I just closed the the frunk. I said no the keys are in the the console and so is my phone. So the frunk closed itself. We got in less than a minute after it happened and when I hit the start button the center screen said update complete. 🤷‍♂️ I did say “well I think I read somewhere that the doors and frunk have to be closed for some updates so maybe it took care of it itself “ 😂😂

I have also learned that if you lock the truck with the tailgate down and then hit the button to close the tailgate, it goes all the way up, horn honks 2x and tailgate goes back down.

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
👻 👻

j1francisco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor 2023 Ford Lightning
My greatest fear, I have no extra clearance.
Same here. This actually happened a couple times on my 2018 Ford Raptor. Eventually, Ford issued a CSP that fixed it. Hope this doesn’t happen on my Lightning too.

Billgeffert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired
Has happened to me twice. One time caught on security camera with a box of donuts sitting on it. The second time was 10 minutes ago at the campground. This time , thankfully with nothing on it. Fob was in the camper with no one in the camper. Did not beep. Just randomly closed. Been on very slow level 2 chargers for around 4 hours both times. First time a 30 amp this time a 16 amp. Has never randomly opened. Just the 2 occurrences of closing. Anyone else experience this?
My Lariat is doing that and just dropping on its own. Truck in the shop now. Also got battery drainage warnings.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I did say “well I think I read somewhere that the doors and frunk have to be closed for some updates so maybe it took care of it itself
I believe this is the most likely scenario. A minor update likely went through and likely the truck closed itself up to do the update on the BCM. Some minor updates don't even give you a message. I highly doubt there would be a downcycle on the tailgate. That would cause all kinds of security issues with Ford so if anyone has this happen, contact Ford immediately and let us know.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I tested leaving my tailgate down, over the period of 4+ hours sitting in the driveway it remained open/down.

OP
OP
Mustang11s

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
Looks like it might have been because of an OTA. Did not show up as completed in the truck until the following day. About 3 hours before it happened it finished a apim update

Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate closed on its own IMG_9453

OP
OP
Mustang11s

Mustang11s

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford Senior Master Tech
Interesting that it did the update while charging and outside the set time for updates. You can see in the log that both the lvb and the hvb increased in charge from the start and finish. Fun stuff
Sponsored