Sponsored

Salinas Valley Ford Repaired My Truck

surferjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Issue: Rattling Front Passenger Window
Thurs. 1/19 Drop-off truck at 9:30am. Rep says should be quick, but up to 1/2 day if door panel is removed.
1:53pm Receive text from Rep, "Technicians cannot replicate rattle while driving. Could you come down
and drive with us?"
3:30pm Within 30 seconds of driving, Technician and Rep hear the rattle. Tech says, "OK that's enough take us back to dealership."
Fri. 1/20 Drop-off truck at 9:30am.
2:00pm I call for a status update. Rep says, "Technician drove and drove and could not replicate rattle." I say, "We replicated the rattle yesterday, why aren't you proceeding with repairs?" Rep says, "We want to make sure we are repairing correctly. So, Tech wants to identify exactly where rattle is occurring by listening, and no one can hear it today."

So, essentially, the dealership's proposal is that I leave the truck with them indefinitely until they decide that they can once AGAIN hear the rattle.

3:30pm I pick up the truck and listen the front passenger window rattle all the way home. . .

I don't know if it's because the truck is electric or that I purchased it from a different dealership. But proposing that the only way to diagnose
a box full of parts is by listening to the box over and over is pretty stupid. And their selective in/ability to hear anything is just disingenuous.
Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I've had similar issues with other vehicles. "They can't replicate the problem" when I know damn well that means they didn't even drive it, because it's the most obvious problem in the world.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Very sad to see stories like these - the dealers spend more time trying to find a way around making a repair than to try and satisfy a customer. You truly can't help but hope these jackasses end up out of business.

I can only say this, if it weren't for the principal of it, these doors are easy to get apart and there are very few parts in them. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to feel through the door and look at the wiring and make sure everything is attached where it should be and nothing moving around.

Might think about giving it a shot just to save your sanity.

OP
OP

surferjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Appreciate the feedback and support. At one point I wondered if it might be a loose wiring harness, but it really sounds like the window rattling around in the frame, as if the glass itself just isn't secure. That's kind of the icing on the joke about the Techs wanting to "Identify exactly where the sound is coming from." -- It isn't just coming from a single location in the door panel . . . On the plus side, contra-Rivian, the truck's a Ford, so there are several other dealerships within 40 miles. So, I think I'll search for more productive pastures.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Appreciate the feedback and support. At one point I wondered if it might be a loose wiring harness, but it really sounds like the window rattling around in the frame, as if the glass itself just isn't secure. That's kind of the icing on the joke about the Techs wanting to "Identify exactly where the sound is coming from." -- It isn't just coming from a single location in the door panel . . . On the plus side, contra-Rivian, the truck's a Ford, so there are several other dealerships within 40 miles. So, I think I'll search for more productive pastures.
I had a similar response from a dealer, but they flat out told me that I should take it the dealer I bought from for warranty work since they would treat me better because of customer loyalty. Taking to the dealer I bought it from wasn’t an option since they were in another state. However, I promptly found another Ford dealer in my area who was happy to earn my business. They have worked with me on several warranty matters and are way better. Look for another dealer and tell all your friends about the first one.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I had a similar response from a dealer, but they flat out told me that I should take it the dealer I bought from for warranty work since they would treat me better because of customer loyalty. Taking to the dealer I bought it from wasn’t an option since they were in another state. However, I promptly found another Ford dealer in my area who was happy to earn my business. They have worked with me on several warranty matters and are way better. Look for another dealer and tell all your friends about the first one.
Incredibly sad a dealer would tell you that to your face. This is another big reason the traditional dealers need to go away. They cherry pick the service and customers they want to work with. They don't want to deal with the EV because they don't know enough yet. They are just old and stodgy and will be out of business in 5 to 7 years, which is OK too.

OP
OP

surferjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Third Times a Charm.

Had truck towed in on Sunday for GSM issue, part arrived Thursday, repair done by early afternoon Friday. AND someone finally convinced the service tech to pull the door panel! Putting Humpty-Dumpty back together again appears to resolve the rattling passenger door/window issue. Not sure why it took a third visit to pull the door panel, but very glad's it's done.

SVF came around and took care of the truck, and provided a loaner in the meantime.
Sponsored