First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Back in the day I had a cigarette lighter outlet in a 2000 BMW M5 burn out with an adaptor attached. Dealer told me it was my device that caused the damage and I had to pay to fix it.

But back to the real question are the problems bad enough to give up or try to return the truck. You had a window motor that went out and a burnt up USB port. Things do go bad and supply issues still plague Ford. The window was fixed in a relatively short amount of time. Actual cause of the USB problem is still not determined but I agree with the general sentiment here. Something outside of the port caused the fire. I've not seen USB port smoking/fire issues on either of the two Lightning forms I monitor. I suspect your delay in a decision is Ford is trying to figure out what if anything they will cover.

Not sure things are bad enough to give up on the truck but if you've lost total confidence you'll probably need to move on.

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
What is the problem with the truck? All I see is a device that was plugged into a port went loco and hace calor. This ain't no Lemon Law thing. I'm surprised the dealer is even looking into it. I wouldn't.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
As I understand, you had an OEM Apple USB charger plugged into your outlet and nothing attached. So the cord must have been dangling below the USB port and likely on the carpeted floor. I see burn marks on the carpet, so I think we can suspect that was the location for the end of the cord.

If some metal, foil, etc. came in contact with the +/- ends of the cord it could cause a short-circuit and a lot of heat. Luckily, it was not enough heat to do severe damage and it was not near something flammable.

I could be 100% wrong, but this is what makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Hello fellow forum members,

I'm writing to share my recent and, to be quite frank, horrifying experience with my new EV 2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum model. It's been a major letdown, and I'm reaching out to this community for some guidance and support.

I purchased this high-end electric vehicle back in June 2023, and within just one month of ownership, the window decided to give up on me. I took it to my local Ford service station, and to my shock, they informed me that the motor had burned out. Four days later, they finally got it fixed. For a renowned company like Ford and a vehicle with a hefty price tag, this was an utterly disappointing start.

Hoping this was an isolated incident, I soldiered on and continued using my truck. However, in mid-September 2023, a potentially catastrophic incident occurred. There was a sudden fire, seemingly triggered from the charging port located at the rear passenger seating area, in the dead of night. Fortunately, I have security cameras in my parking lot, which allowed me to spot the smoke and extinguish the fire before it could engulf the entire truck. Still, there was significant damage around the port, the rear passenger seating, and the floor of my truck.

Naturally, I took the truck to the dealership, specifically Capital Ford of Wilmington, NC, the very next day. I was truly terrified during the drive, as I had heard unsettling stories about EVs catching fire, and I didn't want to be in a potentially hazardous vehicle that could explode at any moment. The car smelled like burned charcoal, and as an individual with asthma, I deeply regretted driving it even for a few minutes.
However, the dealer's response was far from satisfactory. They stated that they needed to investigate the incident but refused to provide a loaner car. This was simply ridiculous, especially considering the price and reputation of the truck. Other luxury car companies treat their customers much better, and I was thoroughly disappointed.

Not wanting to be left without transportation, I reached out to Ford corporate to find a solution. Initially, they suggested I rent a car with the promise of reimbursement. Yet, the very next week, they changed their reimbursement process. Thankfully, I have documented all of this via email for tracking purposes.
Despite all the drama, I reluctantly handed my car over to the dealership. After about a week, when I inquired about the progress, they claimed they were awaiting direction from Ford corporate for the investigation and diagnosis. It's clear that there's a significant lack of communication between the company and the dealership.

This is when my anxiety reached its peak, and I deeply regretted my decision to purchase this car. After a lengthy and concerned discussion with the dealership, they finally showed some empathy and offered a loaner car. Thank goodness for that, as being without a car for an extended period was simply not an option.
Fast forward to today, it's been a full month since I dropped off my car for investigation, and there's still no positive news about its status. Repairs or diagnoses haven't even begun. At this point, I'm strongly inclined to return the car and get a refund. This situation is an absolute mess, and I'm eager to resolve it as swiftly as possible.

I've heard rumors about recalls related to the F150 Lightning, but Ford is insisting that there are none pertaining to my car, and they won't repurchase it. In the meantime, I'm shelling out for insurance, gas for loaner truck(which I thought I would never pay after buying an EV) car and monthly loan payments for a car I don't even have with me. I invested over 100K in this vehicle, and I'm questioning whether it's truly worth all the troubles and headaches it has caused me.
So, here I am, turning to this forum for advice and assistance. What should I do now? Your insights and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Sincerely,
Kaivan Khajanchi

Ford lightning f150-3.jpg

Ford lightning f150-2.jpg

Ford lightning f150-1.jpg
The Better Business Bureau for free.

Last edited:

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Hello fellow forum members,

I'm writing to share my recent and, to be quite frank, horrifying experience with my new EV 2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum model. It's been a major letdown, and I'm reaching out to this community for some guidance and support.

I purchased this high-end electric vehicle back in June 2023, and within just one month of ownership, the window decided to give up on me. I took it to my local Ford service station, and to my shock, they informed me that the motor had burned out. Four days later, they finally got it fixed. For a renowned company like Ford and a vehicle with a hefty price tag, this was an utterly disappointing start.

Hoping this was an isolated incident, I soldiered on and continued using my truck. However, in mid-September 2023, a potentially catastrophic incident occurred. There was a sudden fire, seemingly triggered from the charging port located at the rear passenger seating area, in the dead of night. Fortunately, I have security cameras in my parking lot, which allowed me to spot the smoke and extinguish the fire before it could engulf the entire truck. Still, there was significant damage around the port, the rear passenger seating, and the floor of my truck.

Naturally, I took the truck to the dealership, specifically Capital Ford of Wilmington, NC, the very next day. I was truly terrified during the drive, as I had heard unsettling stories about EVs catching fire, and I didn't want to be in a potentially hazardous vehicle that could explode at any moment. The car smelled like burned charcoal, and as an individual with asthma, I deeply regretted driving it even for a few minutes.
However, the dealer's response was far from satisfactory. They stated that they needed to investigate the incident but refused to provide a loaner car. This was simply ridiculous, especially considering the price and reputation of the truck. Other luxury car companies treat their customers much better, and I was thoroughly disappointed.

Not wanting to be left without transportation, I reached out to Ford corporate to find a solution. Initially, they suggested I rent a car with the promise of reimbursement. Yet, the very next week, they changed their reimbursement process. Thankfully, I have documented all of this via email for tracking purposes.
Despite all the drama, I reluctantly handed my car over to the dealership. After about a week, when I inquired about the progress, they claimed they were awaiting direction from Ford corporate for the investigation and diagnosis. It's clear that there's a significant lack of communication between the company and the dealership.

This is when my anxiety reached its peak, and I deeply regretted my decision to purchase this car. After a lengthy and concerned discussion with the dealership, they finally showed some empathy and offered a loaner car. Thank goodness for that, as being without a car for an extended period was simply not an option.
Fast forward to today, it's been a full month since I dropped off my car for investigation, and there's still no positive news about its status. Repairs or diagnoses haven't even begun. At this point, I'm strongly inclined to return the car and get a refund. This situation is an absolute mess, and I'm eager to resolve it as swiftly as possible.

I've heard rumors about recalls related to the F150 Lightning, but Ford is insisting that there are none pertaining to my car, and they won't repurchase it. In the meantime, I'm shelling out for insurance, gas for loaner truck(which I thought I would never pay after buying an EV) car and monthly loan payments for a car I don't even have with me. I invested over 100K in this vehicle, and I'm questioning whether it's truly worth all the troubles and headaches it has caused me.
So, here I am, turning to this forum for advice and assistance. What should I do now? Your insights and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Sincerely,
Kaivan Khajanchi

Ford lightning f150-3.jpg

Ford lightning f150-2.jpg

Ford lightning f150-1.jpg
Please share the latest on this.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat - Antimatter Blue. 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
well regardless of the "troll" nature of the post, I will be unplugging my phone charging wires hooked up for my kids occasional tablet use next time I get in my truck. Two separate peeps seem to have a similar problem, admittedly with very different results.
Sponsored