• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Snow/Ice buildup under left and right side of truck

sntwnsnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Anyone else in a snowy climate having trouble with snow and/or ice building up on the two plastic pieces (ford calls them "Deflectors") on the underside of the truck. There's one on each side of the tuck, they're made of plastic and collect snow and ice like ice cube trays. When it's really cold the snow freezes and the trays (deflectors) start to sag and bounce up and down while driving creating a loud banging sound. I'm sure mud flaps would help with this, but it seems like a design flaw to me. Pictures of the part below...

Ford F-150 Lightning Snow/Ice buildup under left and right side of truck Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 3.13.56 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning Snow/Ice buildup under left and right side of truck Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 3.14.13 PM
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Nope, not in there at least. Slush gets everywhere and when it freezes it can be a problem.
It's not a design flaw, there is no slush proofing anything. Every single road vehicle I've ever driven has had slush buildup in annoying places.
Best thing to do is get a wash with the underbody spray after driving in the crap.

One year, we had perfect conditions for tons of slush and it would ice up the entire underside of my ridgeline. It would freeze then fall onto the driveshaft, making a hell of a racket. Had to go under the truck and use an ice pick to get it out multiple times.

My personal fave is slush/ice buildup in the coil springs, every bump is a rattle.
Happened to every car I drove with coils.

OP
OP

sntwnsnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Certainly no stranger to vehicles with snow and ice. I’ve lived in the Buffalo, NY area all my life driving many different vehicles and I’ve never seen anything like this. They’re two big trays right behind the wheels waiting to be filled with snow and slush. It can happen after just one trip when there’s snow.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Never had any issues with build up there last winter on mine (upstate NY)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
There's one on each side of the tuck, they're made of plastic and collect snow and ice like ice cube trays.
It’s a feature not a bug.

The trays are designed to do exactly that, they’re ice cube makers. You’re supposed to then dump the ice into the frunk. Why do you think they include a drain plug there?
Sponsored