First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I couldn't put my finger on why exactly, but looking through the available colors, something just felt different about the Lightning than it's ICE counterpart. It just looked more... bland. I saw a Carbonized Gray ICE truck go by in full sun a while back and it was a really striking color, but something about the renderings for the Lightning were... different. I'm talking besides the obvious grill, light bars, and headlights/taillights.

Looking closer I think I figured it out. The fenders are different! The ridge around the wheel well is gone and the fender flares are smoothed out and elongated a bit. It looks to me that the only body panels that remain from the ICE version are the doors and the Pro/XLT tailgate. Check it out in the attached pics.

I think the ICE version has a lot more character. This won't influence my buying decision at all, but I'm concerned the Lightning will look aged quicker with it's bland styling. Everything just seems flatter and less interesting to me. There aren't as many contours to catch the light on deeper paint jobs or potentially metallic ones.

This may have been done for aerodynamics, or maybe purposefully to make it more sleek for the futuristic / clean EV look. I'm not sure.

I think to make up for the more plain styling I might opt for a bolder color like Rapid Red or Atlas Blue. Was really leaning towards Star White but I'm afraid it'll just look too plain now.

What do you think?

Ford F-150 Lightning Subtle body changes from ICE to Lightning Screenshot_20210922-064746_Chrome

Ford F-150 Lightning Subtle body changes from ICE to Lightning Screenshot_20210922-065033_Chrome

Ford F-150 Lightning Subtle body changes from ICE to Lightning Screenshot_20210922-064720_Chrome

Ford F-150 Lightning Subtle body changes from ICE to Lightning Screenshot_20210922-064918_Chrome
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah - it was smoothed out for Aero. I remember Ford talking about it in one of their videos.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I am guessing that where these subtle changes are important is after market items like wheel well liners, tonneau covers, and maybe bedliners.

A change in the rear wheel wells and bed might mean the interior of the bed might also be somewhat different.

Might want to order these factory rather than after because it will take marketeers some time to engineer parts to fit the Lightning.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
In addition, in response to an earlier post from a person wanting to adapt the Lightning to pull a 5th wheel or gooseneck, I am guessing that this would not be possible to adapt easily given the mid-bed placement of the motor mount case under the bed.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Yeah - it was smoothed out for Aero. I remember Ford talking about it in one of their videos.
This is the reason. Aerodynamics is king for EVs, any decrease in drag coefficient can improve range.

The press at launch explicitly notes this:

this is the most aerodynamic F-150 ever, with improvements like newly shaped running boards, a sculpted hood to reduce drag, and grilles that replace air intake holes with a smoother, textured surface.

However, there are only so many tweaks you can likely make for a car this size as the size itself is going to be the driving factor for bad aerodynamics.

Next generation, you'll likely see recessed door handles and maybe even a rear spoiler on the cab. Rivian R1T has it for aerodynamics. Spoilers are also aerodynamic tweaks for both the Ioniq5 and the Cadillac Lyriq.

Also if it becomes acceptable in the US for safety, they'll convert side mirrors to cameras. This is already happening in other countries. Ford mentioned it as a possibility to Sandy Munroe.

Outside of those three, it's really just more "sculpting" tweaks for incremental gains.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This is the reason. Aerodynamics is king for EVs, any decrease in drag coefficient can improve range.

The press at launch explicitly notes this:

this is the most aerodynamic F-150 ever, with improvements like newly shaped running boards, a sculpted hood to reduce drag, and grilles that replace air intake holes with a smoother, textured surface.

However, there are only so many tweaks you can likely make for a car this size as the size itself is going to be the driving factor for bad aerodynamics.

Next generation, you'll likely see recessed door handles and maybe even a rear spoiler on the cab. Rivian R1T has it for aerodynamics. Spoilers are also aerodynamic tweaks for both the Ioniq5 and the Cadillac Lyriq.

Also if it becomes acceptable in the US for safety, they'll convert side mirrors to cameras. This is already happening in other countries. Ford mentioned it as a possibility to Sandy Munroe.

Outside of those three, it's really just more "sculpting" tweaks for incremental gains.
Adjustable suspension geometry (i.e. air suspension) could also have a big impact. Lowering the truck for highway driving effectively decreases frontal area. You could also see a more raked front windshield. That would help drag, but may impact the appearance too much.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
I am guessing that where these subtle changes are important is after market items like wheel well liners, tonneau covers, and maybe bedliners.
I think we've been told that bed and interior accessories that fit the F150 ICE should also fit the F150.

I'm assuming that gooseneck hitches won't be an option unless you want to remove (or drill through, lol) the battery and motor assembly for installation. I also don't think lift kits/suspension mods will be compatible.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I see so many posts on those already re-engineering their Lightning in their minds even before they buy one.

It is unknown at this point whether Lightning specific wheels are interchangible with ICE wheels.

Anyone thinking they will mod Lightning tires from the after market would do well to school themselves on the differences between EV and ICE tires.

EV tires are engineered for increased torque, less rubber, higher weight loads, less tire noise, and increased aerodynamics. Generally, they weigh 30% less and cost 150% or more than the cheaper Korean or Chinese tires. And the market for the Platinum 22 inch EV tires is very slim at this point.

Reference:
https://www.tirereview.com/5-ways-ev-tires-differ-from-regular-tires/

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
That all makes sense. So what is everyone's opinion of the look, and/or color choices?

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That all makes sense. So what is everyone's opinion of the look, and/or color choices?
Don't mind the look. Ford is only really offering 2 color choices (Rapid Red and Atlas Blue). Everything else is a shade of grey and of no interest to me. Hopefully they will offer more exciting choices in future model years. I will take a rapid red, but would love the newer greens, oranges, and purples they are coming out with.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Adjustable suspension geometry (i.e. air suspension) could also have a big impact.

Rivian has this but it's minimum ride height, in Park Mode, is just .2 inches shorter than the default F150. I think you couldn't really go lower without having negative ramifications of hitting too many things while driving.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Rivian has this but it's minimum ride height, in Park Mode, is just .2 inches shorter than the default F150. I think you couldn't really go lower without having negative ramifications of hitting too many things while driving.
If you are off roading, of course not, but on a highway you can absolutely go lower. You can even go extra low at higher speeds because you are not exactly hitting curb on the interstate. Make it user controllable, but no reason you couldn't go down to ~4 inches clearance in highway driving - that is what my GT350 has and I daily that 3 seasons of the year.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Im assuming the fake left side air vent is the charging port..... so what is on the right side? the same design thing>

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Pretty sure the passenger side is just a badge for symmetry.
Sponsored