• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
So I guess the individual OEM selected suppliers and Tesla are both manufacturing.
finally, a little bit of cleared on that… My guess was that Tesla was the only one manufacturing.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Announces Hitting 8K Weekly NACS Adaptor Production Output IMG_4715
Sponsored

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
GFNY = GigaFactory New York ??

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
To be fair theysaid “production”, no word on the rate the shipping department is operating at! 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Who gets the Tesla made ones, and who gets the OEM suppliers’ ones?

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Who gets the Tesla made ones, and who gets the OEM suppliers’ ones?
Not sure what they meant in original Tesla's post.

Maybe the OEM were ramping up their suppliers so as to get more parts delivered to Tesla GFNY so GFNY can assemble more adapters.......or at least keep up their production rate.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning

Maybe the OEM were ramping up their suppliers so as to get more parts delivered to Tesla GFNY so GFNY can assemble more adapters.......or at least keep up their production rate.
I was confused by this also. First time I read I it, it sounded like Tesla was making their own for maybe magic docks and the universal wall chargers, and the OEMS like Ford and Rivian were making their own somehow. But that doesn't make sense so who knows.

Sponsored

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Thanks for the update.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I’m not holding my breath. Fortunately, my A2Z Typhoon Pro arrived this week and I did a test charging session at a nearby Supercharger. It’s a little weird plugging into a dispenser that has no display or buttons, but with plug-n-charge it just worked. That said, when I go on the road again in about a week, I’m gonna turn plug-n-charge off so I can take advantage of membership rates with Tesla.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Announces Hitting 8K Weekly NACS Adaptor Production Output IMG_9152
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Announces Hitting 8K Weekly NACS Adaptor Production Output IMG_9153

Last edited:

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER

I was confused by this also. First time I read I it, it sounded like Tesla was making their own for maybe magic docks and the universal wall chargers, and the OEMS like Ford and Rivian were making their own somehow. But that doesn't make sense so who knows.
I don't know if these adapters are the same as for Magicdocks and Universal chargers. Either way, Tesla doesn't need 8k a week for their own needs. What I read into the announcement is that Tesla is making some in house and the OEMs (Ford, etc.) have arranged suppliers on their own to produce some. Which makes sense, 8k a week is no where near what the OEMs need.

I have not heard anything concrete about the manufacturing arrangements. A lot of people assume that Tesla was making them, and apparently they are, but that doesn't mean that OEMs haven't also been sourcing (or seeking sources) on their own. And we don't know the reasons for the delays. Was the original plan to rely on Tesla to make them? That seems unlikely, no way that the OEMs grossly underestimated demand and Tesla overpromised to that extent. It's possible that the OEMs from the beginning worked with suppliers and the suppliers didn't deliver as promised and the OEMs also underestimated demand.

I believe it's clear that Tesla designed the adapters and they are sharing the product and tooling specifications with OEM suppliers so they will be identical.

I'm holding out for my official one, it will be better quality than aftermarket ones, it will be free, and I don't absolutely need one yet.

MyJoule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lightning Platinum
I’m not holding my breath. Fortunately, my A2Z Typhoon Pro arrived this week and I did a test charging session at a nearby Supercharger. It’s a little weird plugging into a dispenser that has no display or buttons, but with plug-n-charge it just worked. That said, when I go on the road again in about a week, I’m gonna turn plug-n-charge off so I can take advantage of membership rates with Tesla.

IMG_9152.jpeg
IMG_9153.jpeg
It's funny how we get used to something, When we got our Lightning, I thought it was very odd that all the charging information wasn't on the car's display including the cost- Plug and charge in a Tesla just works. And as for using the Tesla app over plug and charge, no need to turn plug and charge off- from our experience - you just do things in a different order. instead of just plugging in the Lightning and Ford charging you for the session you do it in the opposite order - Open the Tesla app, select the stall and press "Start charging" and then plug in the cable. We've done this several times without issue. We've also recently used the EA station in Port Angeles WA, with just plug and charge and it actually worked! I wish Ford would be able to pass the Tesla Member rates through though, that would be Ideal. We are paying the membership fee while on our summer road trip. We'll turn it off once we return back to home base. It actually pays for itself if you charge a few times a month at a Supercharger -
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.