• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
After getting my latest Ford apology email I checked my status. I’d ordered my adapter on 2/29 and had a June promise up to some time in July, LOL. I just checked and it’s moved to September. I should get my A2Z adapter well before then.

Tjese things should not be hard to make, it seems Tesla’s disposal of their charging division screwed over Ford and anyone else getting adapters from them.
And yet they are made by a third party vender. Shipped in a box covered with Ford emblems.

Ford is overall responsible. Piss poor planning, pathetic enforcement of getting it done, and the worst communication with the people they have lied I have seen in a long time.
Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
And yet they are made by a third party vender. Shipped in a box covered with Ford emblems.

Ford is overall responsible. Piss poor planning, pathetic enforcement of getting it done, and the worst communication with the people they have lied I have seen in a long time.
I understand their situation, to be honest. You have a supplier agreement that you have to honor your end of the bargain on. You also have an item that has to undergo qualification for certifications. You have two "lowish" volume vendors out there making the item without certification. The vendor you have supplying you the part is also the vendor that qualifies those items specifically on the network you're in an agreement with them to be on.

It's extraordinarily complex. No one expected Tesla to fire literally everyone without a plan. There's a reason you don't do that.

lipnorth

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford 150 Lightning Lariat
I just received an email from Ford apologizing for the delay. I ordered in Feb.

"Due to ongoing supply constraints, there is a further delay of your complimentary Fast Charging Adapter. We know this is frustrating. Thank you for your continued patience.
To expedite your adapter delivery, we are rapidly working with our supply base to increase high-quality production. We are confident we will have a solution in the coming weeks. As adapter supply increases, our goal is to work as fast as possible to get your adapter to you."

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand their situation, to be honest. You have a supplier agreement that you have to honor your end of the bargain on. You also have an item that has to undergo qualification for certifications. You have two "lowish" volume vendors out there making the item without certification. The vendor you have supplying you the part is also the vendor that qualifies those items specifically on the network you're in an agreement with them to be on.

It's extraordinarily complex. No one expected Tesla to fire literally everyone without a plan. There's a reason you don't do that.
So.......Tesla is responsible. For cutting another source of revenue for the company. Got it. That's REALLY what you are going with? OK.......

So let's play this game. It's Tesla's fault, where the hell is Ford in telling the tens of thousands of people that have been deceived? Why have we heard NOTHING from them? Why have they not acted on their own to correct the problem? Why has Ford allowed this to fail? Why has Ford not publicly called out Tesla? Why.......? Why.....?

Ford claims, as noted by a poster previously, that 40,000 of these devices have shipped. Yet people like me in the 5,000-7,000 order number range have not received one.

So Ford has screwed the pooch here. Own it! Have some decency. Eat the cost and buy those of us that have been deceived or outright lied to a similar charger if we want one so we can use the system that Ford promised us.

See, it's not about the fact that I am supposed to get a charger adapter (at some point before I die) that I wasn't expecting.......it is the outright piss poor customer service that Ford has displayed to us.

I detest being lied to. And that is exactly what has happened here.

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So.......Tesla is responsible. For cutting another source of revenue for the company. Got it. That's REALLY what you are going with? OK.......

So let's play this game. It's Tesla's fault, where the hell is Ford in telling the tens of thousands of people that have been deceived? Why have we heard NOTHING from them? Why have they not acted on their own to correct the problem? Why has Ford allowed this to fail? Why has Ford not publicly called out Tesla? Why.......? Why.....?

Ford claims, as noted by a poster previously, that 40,000 of these devices have shipped. Yet people like me in the 5,000-7,000 order number range have not received one.

So Ford has screwed the pooch here. Own it! Have some decency. Eat the cost and buy those of us that have been deceived or outright lied to a similar charger if we want one so we can use the system that Ford promised us.

See, it's not about the fact that I am supposed to get a charger adapter (at some point before I die) that I wasn't expecting.......it is the outright piss poor customer service that Ford has displayed to us.

I detest being lied to. And that is exactly what has happened here.
Honestly while it may sound unbelievable, Ford doesn't have answers to provide and they don't want to throw a supplier under the bus they need to work with moving forward. That's my honest answer.

I've been in these decisions before. I mean, nothing like this, this is batshit if you want my personal opinion. But it's not batshit because of Ford or GM or anyone else who inked these deals.

Tesla threw a curve-ball.

Likely Ford is now attempting to engage one of their suppliers to produce adapters, which, is interesting because they're making adapters without input from Tesla to use on Tesla's network when Tesla is saying specifically that they'll only certify their network on their adapters? How do you work out an SLA there?

I'm telling you this is really complicated. I have 24 years in marketing and communications with 8 years in-house at an agency with automotive as a sector served. I don't know anything about this first person but from the side lines I can tell you it doesn't look great for Tesla in terms of "who's fault is this."

I would maybe communicate differently than Ford. Maybe. It's far from ideal and I can arm chair preach but behind closed doors, silence may be the best option for everyone involved. Including their customers. You make Tesla antagonistic, that's not great for your charging network on your BEV future, is it? I have a deeper argument here to make about monopoly power that I won't.

Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly while it may sound unbelievable, Ford doesn't have answers to provide and they don't want to throw a supplier under the bus they need to work with moving forward. That's my honest answer.

I've been in these decisions before. I mean, nothing like this, this is batshit if you want my personal opinion. But it's not batshit because of Ford or GM or anyone else who inked these deals.

Tesla threw a curve-ball.

Likely Ford is now attempting to engage one of their suppliers to produce adapters, which, is interesting because they're making adapters without input from Tesla to use on Tesla's network when Tesla is saying specifically that they'll only certify their network on their adapters? How do you work out an SLA there?

I'm telling you this is really complicated. I have 24 years in marketing and communications with 8 years in-house at an agency with automotive as a sector served. I don't know anything about this first person but from the side lines I can tell you it doesn't look great for Tesla in terms of "who's fault is this."

I would maybe communicate differently than Ford. Maybe. It's far from ideal and I can arm chair preach but behind closed doors, silence may be the best option for everyone involved. Including their customers. You make Tesla antagonistic, that's not great for your charging network on your BEV future, is it? I have a deeper argument here to make about monopoly power that I won't.
I disagree. Ford is pissing off a whole lot of people.

Tesla MAY have screwed the pooch, however that was April......FOUR months ago and Ford has known about this issue since at least then. They gave out the adapters to be reviewed with excessive fanfare in May.

If it is Tesla's fault, then after four months someone can own up to it, or point it out. Not a single article or whistleblower, or leak anywhere. All supposition.

Even with your experience, where is the information to support it? "It doesn't look great for Tesla." It looks a whole lot worse for Ford. Either way, both are going to take big ol' bite of a shyte sandwich.

While Tesla has a "monopoly" it is because they were the first big boy to market and acted very smartly. If someone wants to go outside of the Tesla network they can easily get an adapter.

Meanwhile, instead of having a a decent network to compete - which is incredibly easy to do (in theory) - we have such an insanely ridiculous hodgepodge of charger networks that are varying levels of charging ability, speed, and functionality.

When I tell people I have to have EIGHT different apps so that I can access various networks I get laughed at.

The Tesla network is much more smartly laid out than anyone else I have seen - especially EA which is the next best competitor I feel. Even the Ford charging network is the next step up from a gerbil in a wheel.

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I disagree. Ford is pissing off a whole lot of people.

Tesla MAY have screwed the pooch, however that was April......FOUR months ago and Ford has known about this issue since at least then. They gave out the adapters to be reviewed with excessive fanfare in May.

If it is Tesla's fault, then after four months someone can own up to it, or point it out. Not a single article or whistleblower, or leak anywhere. All supposition.

Even with your experience, where is the information to support it? "It doesn't look great for Tesla." It looks a whole lot worse for Ford. Either way, both are going to take big ol' bite of a shyte sandwich.

While Tesla has a "monopoly" it is because they were the first big boy to market and acted very smartly. If someone wants to go outside of the Tesla network they can easily get an adapter.

Meanwhile, instead of having a a decent network to compete - which is incredibly easy to do (in theory) - we have such an insanely ridiculous hodgepodge of charger networks that are varying levels of charging ability, speed, and functionality.

When I tell people I have to have EIGHT different apps so that I can access various networks I get laughed at.

The Tesla network is much more smartly laid out than anyone else I have seen - especially EA which is the next best competitor I feel. Even the Ford charging network is the next step up from a gerbil in a wheel.
Well I agree Ford is pissing people off. That's why they'll likely find a supplier to make adapters and "break the agreement" in the long run.

I don't think they know how this will go down. I'm telling you this is a really tough spot. It also has the CEO's attention since Farley has been out there the past few months prepping people for an electric future despite the pivot back to hybrids.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I agree Ford is pissing people off. That's why they'll likely find a supplier to make adapters and "break the agreement" in the long run.

I don't think they know how this will go down. I'm telling you this is a really tough spot. It also has the CEO's attention since Farley has been out there the past few months prepping people for an electric future despite the pivot back to hybrids.
And yet nothing has been done. I don't give a dam about the "tough spot" it's time to do what is right for the customer. Something people in these large companies don't ever seem to comprehend. They're too damned worried about the lawyers and lawsuits and how it might come off to another company. Meanwhile people that laid out up to 90,000 are just left flapping in the wind and any future of their company's EVs is being sh!t on.

It's a novel idea to actually man up and do what is morally and ethically right.

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And yet nothing has been done. I don't give a dam about the "tough spot" it's time to do what is right for the customer. Something people in these large companies don't ever seem to comprehend. They're too damned worried about the lawyers and lawsuits and how it might come off to another company. Meanwhile people that laid out up to 90,000 are just left flapping in the wind and any future of their company's EVs is being sh!t on.

It's a novel idea to actually man up and do what is morally and ethically right.
We don't know what we don't know. I can prop up a hypothetical but my point would be is we don't know what we don't know.

I'll do it partially: In my head they're likely getting a bare bones Tesla team, likely even a single person or two feeding them erroneous information. "We'll scale as planned" and then it doesn't happen. "We'll scale next month" then it doesn't happen.

Each time Ford is left with multiple business days (and more, PR is a 24/7 business, kind of torture) worth of scrambling trying to figure out what they even can communicate to customers.

Let me put it this way, it's worse to pepper your customers with 20 e-mails of microupdates that say nothing other than "Tesla screwed us" in-between the lines. You look bad anyways.

We also have hindsight now, if you're Ford and getting strung along right now you might say, "well if I knew this in March, I'd have start a different process" - but that's hindsight.

If your supplier is addicted to Ketamine you're going to lose any sense of time.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We don't know what we don't know. I can prop up a hypothetical but my point would be is we don't know what we don't know.

I'll do it partially: In my head they're likely getting a bare bones Tesla team, likely even a single person or two feeding them erroneous information. "We'll scale as planned" and then it doesn't happen. "We'll scale next month" then it doesn't happen.

Each time Ford is left with multiple business days (and more, PR is a 24/7 business, kind of torture) worth of scrambling trying to figure out what they even can communicate to customers.

Let me put it this way, it's worse to pepper your customers with 20 e-mails of microupdates that say nothing other than "Tesla screwed us" in-between the lines. You look bad anyways.

We also have hindsight now, if you're Ford and getting strung along right now you might say, "well if I knew this in March, I'd have start a different process" - but that's hindsight.

If your supplier is addicted to Ketamine you're going to lose any sense of time.
And we are assuming it is Tesla at fault. Where is this mysterious third party supplier? The network of Tesla chargers exists. But where are these devices. This is the issue in and of itself. Not Tesla didn't update the software, or add the accounts, or whatever.

It is the actual adapters themselves.

And it has been now 5+ months since many of us have placed our orders. Some got them in April. A trickle since them. I'm in the 6600 range for order number. Yet apparently 40,000 have been shipped. So what in the actual f@ck is going on here?

All three parties involved (though we really only know the names of Ford and Tesla, not the adapter manufacturer) look like crap. You're only blaming Tesla. I say Ford because they are the ones that pushed this, and yes things fell apart, but since they are the ones that made my truck and said hey you'll have this in May.....then June......Then July.....Now September and have said absolutely d!ck to anyone about this they are taking the brunt of my statements.

I don't care about politics. I don't care about your lawsuit. I care that you have LIED and then failed on multiple occasions to show anything to us that things will change. In the four months since they started shipping they have failed in every single conceivable way to actually make themselves look good, and more importantly to actually serve their customers. This is typical of most car companies.......they screw you over once you get their product and do everything in their power to not do what is right.

Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And we are assuming it is Tesla at fault. Where is this mysterious third party supplier? The network of Tesla chargers exists. But where are these devices. This is the issue in and of itself. Not Tesla didn't update the software, or add the accounts, or whatever.

It is the actual adapters themselves.

And it has been now 5+ months since many of us have placed our orders. Some got them in April. A trickle since them. I'm in the 6600 range for order number. Yet apparently 40,000 have been shipped. So what in the actual f@ck is going on here?

All three parties involved (though we really only know the names of Ford and Tesla, not the adapter manufacturer) look like crap. You're only blaming Tesla. I say Ford because they are the ones that pushed this, and yes things fell apart, but since they are the ones that made my truck and said hey you'll have this in May.....then June......Then July.....Now September and have said absolutely d!ck to anyone about this they are taking the brunt of my statements.

I don't care about politics. I don't care about your lawsuit. I care that you have LIED and then failed on multiple occasions to show anything to us that things will change. In the four months since they started shipping they have failed in every single conceivable way to actually make themselves look good, and more importantly to actually serve their customers. This is typical of most car companies.......they screw you over once you get their product and do everything in their power to not do what is right.
We're not assuming. Tesla literally fired every single person on the Supercharging team. That's the only part of the story we know.

As for "mystery third party" who cares? Could even be Lectron or A2Z at this point, there aren't too many people out there who want to gear up to produce these adapters at scale since they obviously will only be sellable for a limited time. Once everyone has an adapter and OEMs switch, there's no more need.

This is plastic and copper at the end of the day. Ford has many, many, many suppliers who can facilitate such a product. That's not going to be an issue.

The issue was Tesla said, "we get to manufacture the adapter" and everyone said yes.

Again, there's no "assumptions" being made, that's the thing that happened, they signed those exclusives then fired everyone leaving everyone guessing as to the next move.

If you don't care about the politics, don't weigh in. These are the only facts we know, ALL the OEMs are in similar shoes.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We're not assuming. Tesla literally fired every single person on the Supercharging team. That's the only part of the story we know.

As for "mystery third party" who cares? Could even be Lectron or A2Z at this point, there aren't too many people out there who want to gear up to produce these adapters at scale since they obviously will only be sellable for a limited time. Once everyone has an adapter and OEMs switch, there's no more need.

This is plastic and copper at the end of the day. Ford has many, many, many suppliers who can facilitate such a product. That's not going to be an issue.

The issue was Tesla said, "we get to manufacture the adapter" and everyone said yes.

Again, there's no "assumptions" being made, that's the thing that happened, they signed those exclusives then fired everyone leaving everyone guessing as to the next move.

If you don't care about the politics, don't weigh in. These are the only facts we know, ALL the OEMs are in similar shoes.
And again, you say it is all Tesla's fault. I disagree.

Tesla fired their team. So do we know that had anything to do with the adapters? People received them as recently as June on these boards. Well after the issue with the team.

So now we "assume" that thousands and thousands of adapters are just sitting in a warehouse somewhere? We don't know. And Ford won't tell us.

I don't give a f@ck that Ford and Tesla have issues. Ford is the one that is not telling anyone anything except for some vaguely worded e-mail I got days after an update from Ford that it would now be ANOTHER two months. That e-mail just drips of 14 layers of bureaucracy and lawyer review.

Ford and/or Tesla both look like a monkey f@cking a football. But it is Ford's responsibility to ensure that proper communication is occurring, and they have failed abysmally.

See, I call a spade a spade. If that upsets people it upsets people. That is a them problem. Don't want to end up looking bad? Then don't do stuff that makes you look bad. It is just that simple.

Ford made the right decision. Let Tesla make the adapter and take on the liability for it. However.......Ford is pushing this. Ford made sure we all knew how great this was. Ford made sure we all knew that the little box was going to have a big Ford emblem on it and have Farley's signature printed inside the box lid. Made sure that all those influencers got an adapter.......but it is Ford that has ultimately failed to actually inform its customers.

So regardless of who screwed it up, it is Ford that is deceiving its customers. I am not a Tesla customer, I don't have an account, and since I don't have an adapter.......I am not a customer of theirs.

marlin1060

First Name
Mearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Wow. If you're on blood pressure medicine you may need to take two tonight. In the scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. $200 and you're covered.

Lighten up!

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Just my 2 cents. I purchased Ford EV not expecting Tesla supercharger access.
They somehow made it happen and will give the adapter for free. As long as I get the adapter within a year I’ll still be happy. I did purchased the A2Z for “Incase” moment.

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wow. If you're on blood pressure medicine you may need to take two tonight. In the scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. $200 and you're covered.

Lighten up!
My blood pressure is fine. It's not about the $200. It's about being lied to and mislead which is something Ford has been doing on many issues.

Thanks for your health and financial concerns. What would I do without you?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.