• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Upgrade to B&O (non-unleashed 8 speaker): speakers and sub swaps

kevojack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Like many here I was very underwhelmed by the B&O 8-speaker system. Today I had all speakers replaced except for the tweeters. Blown away by the improvement. Components below. Some interesting notes too. Under $2k installed.

-Kicker Hideaway 10” powered sub (replaced factory “sub”); control knob installed on lower left of steering wheel. Extremely convenient and inconspicuous. Feels meant to be there and makes instant bass leveling at the tip of your fingers while steering. $299.

-Alpine R-series 6x9” (x2) and 6.5” coaxials (x2) (front and rears). $299 / $215

-JL Audio C2-350x 3.5” (dash console). $149.

-Originally planned to install LC2 pro ($139) to address volume control and bass roll off. My shop figured out during install they could address it directly through the B&O console and so we didn’t need to install the LC2 after all. Good to know. I can’t tell you why but I’m sure they would have liked to take my money on the LC2 so I trust them. Can confirm bass roll off is cured.

Total spent: $1,266 parts (incl all speaker components, adapters, and wire), $600 install labor (money VERY well spent; 4 hours x $150/hour (San Diego) for a total of $1,866. This can definitely be DIY with some modest technical knowhow and time (shoutout to this thread which inspired my setup, and confirmed that I have neither the patience, time, or know how to make saving $600 worth an entire weekend+ of frustration:
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/low-medium-cost-audio-upgrade.17802/

Review:

Overall a massive improvement. Sound and volume are outstanding. Excellent range. Bass is not perfect but I did not expect it to be and overall a 8.5/10. I think a limiting factor will always be using a compact 10” sub if you want to avoid loss of storage under rear seats, like I did.

Rock/metal is a 10/10 which must be attributed somewhat to the DSP tuning being optimal for this type of music. Bass is heavy deep and clean. Snares are crisp. Entire range of guitar tones captured beautifully. Really truly blown away. Can’t rave enough.

Rap is a 8/1010. Somewhat song dependent in terms of low end thump and consistency. Again the limiting factor is likely the compact sub, and probably keeping factory amp. Will satisfy 97% of listeners.

Electronic: 8.5/10. Somewhere between rap and rock, I’m again convinced the tuning and EQ on the factory console is optimized to music with more range of tone.

I will likely install sound dampening myself in the near future, but the cabin is already so quiet I think it’s more for the improvement to the audio and reverb than to make the cabin quieter.

Overall I’m extremely happy and feel like this was well worth the expense for a huge increase in enjoyment of this truck. It’s a shame this isn’t standard with B&O “upgraded” system. Can confirm the speakers that came out are paper trash. It’s frankly insulting given the MSRP and the standard consumers tend to associate with B&O.
Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
That's awesome!
Tempting upgrade for sure. Do you know / can you share what they did to get around the bass roll off issue?

OP
OP

kevojack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
That's awesome!
Tempting upgrade for sure. Do you know / can you share what they did to get around the bass roll off issue?
They were able to do it through the existing amp/DSP settings. Not sure on specifics. I can ask.

Jsfrye

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat SR
Just wanted to share something that helped my factory BO system. Make sure your music app (Spotify, Apple Music, etc) isn’t also equalizing and enhancing your music. For spotify…. Spotify>settings> Playback> turn off “Enable audio Normalizarion. This made a big difference for me.

OP
OP

kevojack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Update: after spending more time dialing in settings today I’m even more satisfied with rap and electronic music with this. It is critical with this setup to set bass to 0 / neutral in the car tune settings and then use the remote bass level control to add bass. Much cleaner and more sustained low end. This setup is definitely a game changer and it’s ridiculous the B&O doesn’t use more quality components because the DSP / amp are actually quite good once the speaker component deficiencies are overcome.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Just wanted to share something that helped my factory BO system. Make sure your music app (Spotify, Apple Music, etc) isn’t also equalizing and enhancing your music. For spotify…. Spotify>settings> Playback> turn off “Enable audio Normalizarion. This made a big difference for me.
I use YouTube premium and will have to check for that setting.
Also @kevojack I had to disconnect my center speaker because it was over powering the system and there's no way to turn it down. Did you shop address that or just replacing the center speakers helped that problem?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Update: after spending more time dialing in settings today I’m even more satisfied with rap and electronic music with this. It is critical with this setup to set bass to 0 / neutral in the car tune settings and then use the remote bass level control to add bass. Much cleaner and more sustained low end. This setup is definitely a game changer and it’s ridiculous the B&O doesn’t use more quality components because the DSP / amp are actually quite good once the speaker component deficiencies are overcome.
I had to disconnect my center speaker because it was over powering the system and there's no way to turn it down. Did you shop address that or just replacing the center speakers helped that problem?

OP
OP

kevojack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I think the addition of real low end from the subwoofer and the quality improvement in the speakers overall addressed it. They did not tune the center speaker specifically. It also helps to keep your balance one or two clicks towards the rear. Definitely no need to remove the speaker and it for sure no longer overpowers the sound.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
for me i replaced the center speaker with this
Dayton Audio PS95-8 3-1/2" Point Source Full Range Driver 8 Ohm
and it solved the problem. sounds are loud and crisp. with all the upgraded speakers and the new sub the system sounds amazing.

Wow that's a low price, I have the rear set speakers I received for fathers day so now I'm looking for the center and rear sets. I had a 2004 F150 and changed all four speaker and it made a big difference, you would think 20 years later Ford would be giving you better speakers.
I also received a Carlinkit Android 13.0 device for fathers day and this thing is awesome because it works perfectly. I bought the Stream to you car device for Lightning in 2022 and it never worked and was a waisted $300 so I decided to try another device and but it on my fathers day list. Now the lightning is like having a big android tablet or iPad in your dash, its Android based but has Carplay also by sticking a pin on a reset button and it reboots to Carplay. It has installed all my apps like on my Android phone except Kodi installs but crashes when opened, all my camera apps like Ring and Wyze apps work. Took my wife shopping Saturday and just stayed in the truck watching Direct and YouTube, DTV you can watch all your recorded stuff. You can also leave it pugged in and out of site in the phone charger area because it times out with no power so it will not run down the 12v, the other one stayed on.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
They were able to do it through the existing amp/DSP settings. Not sure on specifics. I can ask.
Does the bass scale properly between low and high volumes?

I replaced all speakers and sub too (6 speaker system). I found that at lower volumes the bass is higher than at higher volumes (proportionally). That is the bass roll off issue. I tried using a KeyLoc but I struggled with the calibration of it. For now I'm just using the remote bass knob to attenuate the bass at lower volumes.

OP
OP

kevojack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Does the bass scale properly between low and high volumes?

I replaced all speakers and sub too (6 speaker system). I found that at lower volumes the bass is higher than at higher volumes (proportionally). That is the bass roll off issue. I tried using a KeyLoc but I struggled with the calibration of it. For now I'm just using the remote bass knob to attenuate the bass at lower volumes.
Not exactly on extreme ends of either. If you are running volume around 12-18 and bass around 50-75% I don’t need to adjust at all. TBH though I love using the bass dial because the bass leveling is very song specific so fine tuning with the ease of access of knob (mine is attached to steering volume underneath wheel) is pretty great.
Sponsored