• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Upgrading to new phone with Bluetooth 5.3

Dan's Lightning

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Previously I had a Samsung S21+ uses Bluetooth 5.0 and was using it with the Ford Pass app for Paak (Phone as a key).

I had many connectivity issues with the older Bluetooth 5.0
-Unlocking by touching a door handle most times took a few seconds or longer to unlock and some times would not even work and I had to turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on for it to be able to unlock the door.
-Locking the door by the one touch bottom would be hit or miss, most times not working and some times taking 3-4 seconds or longer holding my thumb on the touch button, must time I had to walk away with out it ever locking.
-Once inside the Lightning to start the truck, foot on break and hit start button, key not found and the master start code comes up on the main screen.
Often I had to turn off Bluetooth on my phone and re start it to get it to work, even still after re starting Bluetooth took a bit before the lightning connected to the phone to start the truck.
-While driving taking a handsfree phone call the call would be garbled and not functionable.
-With the new Ford pass app version connected controls (open frunk and tail gate) would be disconnected and would never work.

I upgraded to a new Samsung S24+ with Bluetooth 5.3 and now Paak works flawlessly!
-Locks open instantly! the moment you touch the door handles.
-Doors lock instantly! the moment you touch the lock touch pad with your thumb. Night and day difference! Now this is what I'd expected the lightning to do from the beginning !
-Starting the truck with Paak is now flawless and instant.
-The connected app controls (open frunk and tail gate) always work!
-I haven’t tested a hands free phone call yet but I'm very hopeful this is the solution

I highly recommend getting a new phone with Bluetooth 5.3 ! Thought I share my experience..
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I have an S21 but haven't experienced nearly the troubles you describe. However, my wife has an S21+ and has constant issues with her Navigator. Maybe a new phone would solve the problem.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I carry an Apple 12 mini and have the exact same experiences you described.

Thanks for posting, I’m sure I have the same issue.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Previously I had a Samsung S21+ uses Bluetooth 5.0 and was using it with the Ford Pass app for Paak (Phone as a key).

I had many connectivity issues with the older Bluetooth 5.0
-Unlocking by touching a door handle most times took a few seconds or longer to unlock and some times would not even work and I had to turn off Bluetooth and turn it back on for it to be able to unlock the door.
-Locking the door by the one touch bottom would be hit or miss, most times not working and some times taking 3-4 seconds or longer holding my thumb on the touch button, must time I had to walk away with out it ever locking.
-Once inside the Lightning to start the truck, foot on break and hit start button, key not found and the master start code comes up on the main screen.
Often I had to turn off Bluetooth on my phone and re start it to get it to work, even still after re starting Bluetooth took a bit before the lightning connected to the phone to start the truck.
-While driving taking a handsfree phone call the call would be garbled and not functionable.
-With the new Ford pass app version connected controls (open frunk and tail gate) would be disconnected and would never work.

I upgraded to a new Samsung S24+ with Bluetooth 5.3 and now Paak works flawlessly!
-Locks open instantly! the moment you touch the door handles.
-Doors lock instantly! the moment you touch the lock touch pad with your thumb. Night and day difference! Now this is what I'd expected the lightning to do from the beginning !
-Starting the truck with Paak is now flawless and instant.
-The connected app controls (open frunk and tail gate) always work!
-I haven’t tested a hands free phone call yet but I'm very hopeful this is the solution

I highly recommend getting a new phone with Bluetooth 5.3 ! Thought I share my experience..
@Dan's Lightning

glad things are working better for you.

doubtful 5.3 itself was the cure alone - could have a been a phone specific issue or Samsung bad codec or radio chip - especially with a large number running same phone without issue,

also Ford, like most manufactures are looking for cheap, so they tend to use slightly older technology. (For example think of the money the saved by using old processor for the big screen - lag blows!) that plays across most components, doubtful truck is even using Bluetooth 5.0

though the Bluetooth consortium be awesome, and 5.3 might be better written for backward compatibility.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I recently upgraded from S10-e to S24-ultra, though I didn't have problems with PAAK on the old phone, but I did have issues with phone calls, the few that I've received/placed recently with the new phone have been good.

Sponsored

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I recently upgraded from S10-e to S24-ultra, though I didn't have problems with PAAK on the old phone, but I did have issues with phone calls, the few that I've received/placed recently with the new phone have been good.
I also recently upgraded from an S10 where everything worked pretty well except phone calls.. I would have to pull it off the Charge pad and sometimes I could here the caller but they couldn't hear me... Now with a new S24 Ultra calls work even on the Charge pad...

Vcrpromo

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 ford lightening
Occupation
Retired
I have an S21 but haven't experienced nearly the troubles you describe. However, my wife has an S21+ and has constant issues with her Navigator. Maybe a new phone would solve the problem.
I have a samsung fold 5 with 5.0.and never have problems.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
My 12 pro max has the same issues. If my phone is in my pocket furthest from the truck, it wont detect my hand and open the truck. I have to turn my body or hold my phone close to the truck so the door handle can sense my hand.
Sponsored