First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
Still in the learning mode and adapting my brain to the EV world and how to drive effectively to maximize mileage since I do travel. Any guidance on the following would be appreciated.
Today I charged up at an EA station since I’m still waiting for an electrician to schedule me in to install the charger at my house. I have a Platinum (ER). I charged from 20% to 81% and then drove 50 miles…the charge went down to 70%. So my simple brain says I used 14.41 kW ….131 kW x (81%-70%). And therefore got 3.47 mi/kW….(50 mi / 14.41kW). But according to the console I was getting 2.3ish.

1-what am I missing…or not thinking correctly about the energy consumption.

2-why does the Ford app NOT have a driving detail log of each trip? Like they do with the charges. Unless I just haven’t found it yet. Seems like an obviously additional to the app.

Can’t wait until the charger is install ….the range anxiety is real after 3 weeks.

Ford F-150 Lightning Usage of charge IMG_7509

Appreciate any thoughts on my post.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
What was your speed, wind conditions & terrain for the 50 mile return trip?

Favorable conditions can improve results, to the degree of 3.47 is optimistic but possible under downhill conditions

The stat's on the trip meter can be deceiving if not cleared after a charging session, it is common for us to keep the truck ~idling~ in RUN or ACCESSORY mode while DCFC'ing. Once you're done charging, fully shut down the truck, to clear the current trip log, then restart and head out.

The driving logs ~records~ were removed from Fordpass more than a year ago because they were inaccurate and appearance of the logs was unreliable, all we have are Trip 1 & 2 and "This Trip"

OP
OP
Pottsie

Pottsie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
Perfect. Thank you.
It was flat and 65ish degrees BUT…good call out on the shutting it down. I had the accessories on while I charged so the trip never reset. So I guess I need to do that. And thanks for the info on the elimination of the trip info in the app

But..the math I’m using makes sense right ? I know 3.5 is WAY too optimistic and I wouldn’t use that….but…it does appear if the charge dropped 11% after driving 50 miles (under the current conditions)is what the true mi/kW that was used ….. Right ?

Appreciate the insight for sure.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Perfect. Thank you.
It was flat and 65ish degrees BUT…good call out on the shutting it down. I had the accessories on while I charged so the trip never reset. So I guess I need to do that. And thanks for the info on the elimination of the trip info in the app

But..the math I’m using makes sense right ? I know 3.5 is WAY too optimistic and I wouldn’t use that….but…it does appear if the charge dropped 11% after driving 50 miles (under the current conditions)is what the true mi/kW that was used ….. Right ?

Appreciate the insight for sure.

Your math is correct, theoretical 2.44 for a mixed cycle drive is what Ford uses for ideal conditions, so the dash value is possibly a mix of prior better performance and then a lower performance for the highway drive.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Wind… that’s it. Does any ICE forum ask about wind conditions?
Welcome to the forum ..................
Sponsored