Sponsored

Using portable charger daily?

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'm moving up to an XLT ER from my 2021 MME standard range in a few months. I've had the portable plugged in 24 / 7 and almost always daily charge at night the MME with 0 issues. I'm plan to stick with the same setup with the XLT, but curious if others are using the 240v portable daily with the bigger battery?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The EVSE can’t tell anything about the battery it’s charging. Everything will behave the same, except it will take longer to get the same % charge.

Several folks have had problems with the mobile charger, but it isn’t clear that more use = more problems. Some never worked from the beginning, others failed later at various points.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m using the portable charger as my daily. It’s worked fine so far and never failed, but sometimes overheats when it’s really warm outside and the charge rate slows. If yours has been working for the Mach-E then it’ll work fine with the Lightning since the cord is pushing the same amount of power regardless of vehicle.

Just be aware that the Lightning charges at about 15 mph instead of the 20 mph that you are used to with the Mach E using the portable charger. This is due to the larger battery needed for similar range. If 15 mph is suitable then I don’t see a reason to upgrade.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
I did with our MME (daily at 240 V) and it died at 40K miles/18 months. Red light of death. I charge the truck on a CP Home Flex and the wife’s MME on 120 V mobile. Probably last longer.

Last edited:

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I use my AmpRoad portable charger every day on 110v. Works like a charm. My commute makes it so I can charge once a month over the weekend or day to day if I want to keep level up. I love it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Nice feedback, our normal use is probably just commuting. We like the MME, but range and space are an issue if it is more then myself and wife and we have a tight schedule. I feel pretty comfortable in EV for sure but no way I'm getting ride of our Challenger GT.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Been using the portable since I got the truck. I don’t charge daily but hasn’t failed once.

Reactions: JRT

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
I use my AmpRoad portable charger every day on 110v. Works like a charm. My commute makes it so I can charge once a month over the weekend or day to day if I want to keep level up. I love it.
I recently bought one of these to store in the truck (when mine arrives). I have been using it to charge my other EV as a test and agree, it's working great! Best part is my local utility sent me a check covering most of the cost of it as well! :)

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I used the Ford charger daily on my wife's MME without any issues - zero failures. It charges at 30 Amps.
I use a portable adjustable current EVSE from EV-Chargers.com on my Lightning. This gives me 40 Amps when I need it and lower if the supply lines only provide limited amperage. The Ford charger will kick out a 30 amp breaker (rightfully so) and the EV-Charger can be set to 24 Amps to safely use a 30 Amp circuit. To be fair, the EVSE has kicked out twice in 6 months on an unknown fault on one outlet that I use, otherwise, it has been good.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Nice feedback, our normal use is probably just commuting. We like the MME, but range and space are an issue if it is more then myself and wife and we have a tight schedule. I feel pretty comfortable in EV for sure but no way I'm getting ride of our Challenger GT.
The LT will bury just about any stock muscle car in the 1/4 mile which still astounds me. If you took off the tailgate, pulled the back seat/front passenger. Emptied the wash resevoir and I don’t what tires? But maybe a drag radial? I bet it would run high 11’s. just crazy. I get passed by Mustang/Challengers/big V8 trucks/diesels. They’ve no clue. I respect your passion to the wailing ICE big blocks. Quaint.

Sponsored

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I used mine for about the first year of ownership. Closed garage and temps well over 100 everyday. It worked flawlessly. I only stopped using it in order to keep it in the truck with me.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I used mine for the first 7 months that I had it, charging daily because of my long commute. Come July, I was tired of the slow charge rate when the weather got into the 90's so I bought an Emporia which has been great. I'm selling the portable, though so far there has been zero interest in it, so I might just keep it as a backup in the truck.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I keep mine in the frunk with a couple of additional attachments
Ford F-150 Lightning Using portable charger daily? TeslaRescueKit
Sponsored