• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Water in rear light bar

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Definitely take your truck in my tailgate is now randomly going down on its own and the lights back there were all flickering. The dealer replaced the light bar quickly but can't seem to fix the tailgate issue. I have been without my truck for 3 weeks and 2 days so far and nothing has worked
My tailgate did something like this for a bit. I’d bring it up and it was like something was in the way and it would take itself back down. I’d have to make it go up a couple times before it figured itself out. Went on for a couple days but now it’s gone. Wonder if it’s water damage…
Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
My tailgate did something like this for a bit. I’d bring it up and it was like something was in the way and it would take itself back down. I’d have to make it go up a couple times before it figured itself out. Went on for a couple days but now it’s gone. Wonder if it’s water damage…
My tailgate did this 50% of time for a couple weeks. It would start to close then just before it latched it would reverse itself back open. Hadn’t thought of this for awhile actually. On the second attempt it worked as designed..

Temix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting Lariat
A few days ago, I noticed a buildup of water, and today, the white LED section stopped functioning while the entire red section flashes sporadically. The dealership has requested to see the truck before they can order the part.

My story is basically the same as what others have shared here, but I just wanted to add my experience so that someone from Ford may be made aware of the number of issues with the lightbar.

Hey, I just wanted to give you guys an update on my recent lightbar repair. They ended up replacing the whole rear lightbar assembly, which was a bit of a surprice to me because apparently the rear camera was part of it too. So the dealership had to reprogram it. It took them a whole week just to get the part in, and then another two weeks to actually get me an appointment. But overall, I'm happy with the work they did. Just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

SebR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I got my lightbar replaced last week. Problem was detected in Nov. It took 3 months to get the light. The light lasted for about a day. It is now out. The white light under is now always on as I drive. And the tail gate still has a mind of its own ... it sometimes open. Sometimes open and closes on its own while I am parked - at home, at the arena, at the mall.

This drains my 12v battery. And sends code.

Being patient with everything here.

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
Got water in mine too. Tailgate and reverse camera working as per usual. The white leds on the side don’t turn on unless I use the zone control to turn on all the lights in the truck. Can someone confirm this is normal behavior of symptom of water damage. Thanks.

Edit: dealer ordered replacement parts.

Ford F-150 Lightning Water in rear light bar IMG_2238

Last edited:

Sponsored

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning, Bronco Badlands, 1968 Mustang
Occupation
MD Director of Technology
I got my lightbar replaced last week. Problem was detected in Nov. It took 3 months to get the light. The light lasted for about a day. It is now out. The white light under is now always on as I drive. And the tail gate still has a mind of its own ... it sometimes open. Sometimes open and closes on its own while I am parked - at home, at the arena, at the mall.

This drains my 12v battery. And sends code.

Being patient with everything here.
Got mine back today it was in the shop for 42 days but Grapevine Ford in Texas got it fixed and fixed right. They replaced the light then the control module for the rear gate. This didn't fix the rear gate issue. They ended up replacing the a main control module. I believe it was the ECM to fix it. While it was in they did the TSB for clicking and it silent now. Ford was great and covered me with a rental and has offered to help compensate me for the loss of use. While I hated being with out it I have never had a manufacturer treat me with such respect. My only issue is they got a door ding on my black lightning right on a body line while it was there (it is small and no paint damage at least). I am that guy that parks in the last spot and walks in to prevent them.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
For those of you that had this repaired, does Ford have the part fixed so I won’t have to replace it again later on?

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
Parts replaced:
NL3Z13434A lens and reflector asy
ML3Z9941018 Top moulding

Top moulding superceded an older part number, this seems to be a universal f150 part though. The lens and reflector asy doesn't seem to have an older number.

All the same part number as Post #87

Last edited:

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 F-150 XLT
Occupation
Senior Wireless QA Engineer
I have just notice the same issue with my 2022 lightning. Water condensation inside the tailgate lightbar, and now the rear lightbar and the white lights are not lighting up completely.

Waiting for local dealership to call me back to get this scheduled.

robseam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Security Manager
Just took delivery of my Lightning and I noticed the condensation in the rear light bar the next morning when I was cleaning the tailgate area. Now have to call the local dealership tomorrow and get it in for warranty repair. From these forums it looks like this is a pretty common problem. Looks like Ford has some supplier issues on this part.

Sponsored

CallOnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Heard this fix is getting faster though. Let us know what you hear on timing!
Just took delivery of my Lightning and I noticed the condensation in the rear light bar the next morning when I was cleaning the tailgate area. Now have to call the local dealership tomorrow and get it in for warranty repair. From these forums it looks like this is a pretty common problem. Looks like Ford has some supplier issues on this part.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Good morning! I would be glad to help you out with this light bar concern if you like. Just shoot us a direct message with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. Thank you!

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have the same issue. Heading to the dealership this morning to see what they say, about this issue. Seems like a design flaw.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same issue. Heading to the dealership this morning to see what they say, about this issue. Seems like a design flaw.
Hello, Kevin! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

Major Dawg

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Heard this fix is getting faster though. Let us know what you hear on timing!
As of 5/15/2023
My local SoCal dealer is getting the parts in two days, so parts come in on Wednesday and have appt on Thursday for the repair.
I'll keep this post updated
Sponsored