• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

When do you plan to replace your high voltage battery?

Overlook637

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clarity, M4, Yj, Ram Ecodiesel
How is 12 years your best case scenario? The battery can out live 12 years. Its is not like it is has a birthday and dies. Yes it degrade as it ages too, but doesn’t just stop working.

I wish people would stop getting their tech info from Fox and Newsmax….😂🤣
I've read numerous stories on various chat board and social media about batteries going dead. If the battery can outlive XX years. Ford would be wise to offer a longer than 8 year warranty. 12 years is 50% past warranty. You can't have a simple conversation without politics. :(
Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I've read numerous stories on various chat board and social media about batteries going dead. If the battery can outlive XX years. Ford would be wise to offer a longer than 8 year warranty. 12 years is 50% past warranty. You can't have a simple conversation without politics. :(
Why would Ford offer a warranty in excess of what they are legally required to do? All that does is open them up to liability for the small percentage that does fail and at $10,000’s per failure, that is a hard one to sell to management or the shareholders.

Maybe you don’t work in an industry that needs to be profitable, but providing a long warranty only looks good from the marketing side. It looks horrible on paper and your long term liability outlays.

Sorry if you are offended that I said two entertainment “news” agencies is not a great way to get technology news. The same would be true about CNN, but generally they have a little more facts in their biased coverages. But politics were not mentioned, rather calling out “news” for what it has become, from the two more “sensational” based media outlets 🤷‍♂️. It is kinda like the National Inquirer , while I enjoy reading the cover at the store I don’t take any of it seriously.😊

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Ford's warranty on the battery is as much a guessing game for them too I suspect. They don't have a hundred years experience building/selling/replacing batteries. They bought some insurance themselves along with some contracts with SK that says SK is on the hook for XX% and Ford is on the hook for YY%(with insurance) and hopefully it all works out for them.

If time proves that they last more or less they will adjust future warranties or seek different suppliers/technology.

Tesla has helped create some baselines for battery longevity expectations but every battery/chemistry/manufacturer is going to prove out differently. Ford had to offer at least the warranty they have to get people to take the leap. Maybe SK has 15 year batteries, but no-one knows because noones had these batteries for that long. There's only so much you can test in a lab.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Never. The battery is going to work as advertised and if it doesn't then Ford will replace it.
Sponsored