• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wild mileage jump when charging

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
Just over a month into ownership, realize there are oddities in mileage and percentages when charging.

Went to an EvGo last night by my house to boost me up to 80% (had done a ton of driving this weekend and don’t have my charger station pro yet)

got it to 80, came home and plugged it into the lvl1 mobile wall socket charger

saw this and laughed at the jump. 2kWh = 22miles?

Ford F-150 Lightning Wild mileage jump when charging IMG_8067
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Chriseberle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning SR Tesla Model X
I would not leave your target charging level at 95%. Leave it at a much lower rate like 80% and then if you go on trips you can charge to 100% if you need the charge for a trip. The BMS on the Lightning can do some weird things. I notice if I precondition my battery in the morning sometimes it throws the BMS off.

OP
OP
thequackenbush

thequackenbush

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat 2023 Extended Range
Occupation
Marketing
I would not leave your target charging level at 95%. Leave it at a much lower rate like 80% and then if you go on trips you can charge to 100% if you need the charge for a trip. The BMS on the Lightning can do some weird things. I notice if I precondition my battery in the morning sometimes it throws the BMS off.
I never reach the target, but was playing with the varied effects on rate of estimated time to finish the charge depending on how I set the target when I noticed that weird 22mi jump

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just over a month into ownership, realize there are oddities in mileage and percentages when charging.

Went to an EvGo last night by my house to boost me up to 80% (had done a ton of driving this weekend and don’t have my charger station pro yet)

got it to 80, came home and plugged it into the lvl1 mobile wall socket charger

saw this and laughed at the jump. 2kWh = 22miles?
IMG_8067.png
FordPass often has useless inaccurate data such as this.

In reality, no one should think of charging as adding miles. It adds energy. How far you can go on that energy is dependent on many factors, NONE OF WHICH are taken into account with that estimate.

Simply ignore it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Adding to what Rick stated, tinkering with the settings (higher/lower SOC limit, Manual Stop / Start via the App) will throw the already questionable numbers further astray.

Sponsored

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Adding to what Rick stated, tinkering with the settings (higher/lower SOC limit, Manual Stop / Start via the App) will throw the already questionable numbers further astray.
Ford F-150 Lightning Wild mileage jump when charging Screenshot_20240514_062424_FordPass

With 25000 on my truck the DTE gets better , I always charge to 100% .

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Screenshot_20240514_062424_FordPass.jpg

With 25000 on my truck the DTE gets better , I always charge to 100% .
The Distance Added field is the one you should totally ignore.
Sponsored