• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fully Optioned Lightning XLT ER vs. Base Lariat ER

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I was initially shocked by the $9,000 cost premium of a Lariat ER with max tow and tow tech, over an XLT ER with max tow, tow tech, premium package (get almost all XLT "options"), and let's say a $1,700 allowance for a Katzkin aftermarket leather upgrade.

That large jump for features that are less than obvious on the specification sheet had me thinking I would only consider Lariat if going all the way to Lariat Premium for $3,505 more than the Lariat ER and get phone as a key (really interested to have), BlueCruise (more novelty than anything for me at this point), and a handful of other goodies that aren't terribly important to me (lockable fold-flat rear storage, power tilt/telescoping wheel with memory/second row heated seats/twin pane moon roof).

Here is my math based off of the price survey, which I was hoping to not bother with but Ford is being slower to release a builder than I prefer:

XLT + ER + Premium + Max Tow + Tow Tech + Katzkins = $52,974 + $7,000 + $3,800 + $865 + $1,495 + $1,700 = $68,834
Lariat + ER + Max Tow + Tow Tech = $67,474 + $7,000 + $865 + $1,495 = $76,834
Lariat Premium with ER included + max tow = $79,474 + $865 = $80,339

So what does one get for that first jump of $9,000? Based on the spec sheet AND the pricing survey graphic, here is what I have come up with:

1. Power folding mirrors.
2. Garage door opener (a bigger safety item than might be obvious).
3. Heated and ventilated front seats.
4. Wireless phone charger.
5. Power rear sliding window.
6. B&O sound system.
7. Ambient lighting (?)
8. Power up tailgate (unclear - spec sheet indicates XLT option is power down only, pricing survey indicates XLT Premium with power up/down).
9. Tailgate light bar.
10. Advanced security pack - useful?
11. Larger center stack screen (is there otherwise a difference between Sync 4 and Sync 4A?).
12. Ability to further option powered running boards.
3b. "Premium leather-wrapped heated steering wheel".

So in the end there is a bit more here than I thought and the the premium package added to the XLT, while adding many features, still doesn't equal a base Lariat in comfort/safety.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Wait, power sliding rear window and garage door opener are not available on XLT+ ? Who the heck is going to buy a Lightning without a garage? Dumb on Fords part. I'm kind of upset about that. Guess I could do without the window though.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Wait, power sliding rear window and garage door opener are not available on XLT+ ? Who the heck is going to buy a Lightning without a garage? Dumb on Fords part. I'm kind of upset about that. Guess I could do without the window though.
I mean, the Lightning is 6” too long for my garage…. ?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
I’m sure lots of folks without garages will buy one. A garage is no more a necessity for an EV than it is for an ICE.

If true though it sure is a stupid way to save about $25 when building a $60k+ truck.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I was initially shocked by the $9,000 cost premium of a Lariat ER with max tow and tow tech, over an XLT ER with max tow, tow tech, premium package (get almost all XLT "options"), and let's say a $1,700 allowance for a Katzkin aftermarket leather upgrade.

That large jump for features that are less than obvious on the specification sheet had me thinking I would only consider Lariat if going all the way to Lariat Premium for $3,505 more than the Lariat ER and get phone as a key (really interested to have), BlueCruise (more novelty than anything for me at this point), and a handful of other goodies that aren't terribly important to me (lockable fold-flat rear storage, power tilt/telescoping wheel with memory/second row heated seats/twin pane moon roof).

Here is my math based off of the price survey, which I was hoping to not bother with but Ford is being slower to release a builder than I prefer:

XLT + ER + Premium + Max Tow + Tow Tech + Katzkins = $52,974 + $7,000 + $3,800 + $865 + $1,495 + $1,700 = $68,834
Lariat + ER + Max Tow + Tow Tech = $67,474 + $7,000 + $865 + $1,495 = $76,834
Lariat Premium with ER included + max tow = $79,474 + $865 = $80,339

So what does one get for that first jump of $9,000? Based on the spec sheet AND the pricing survey graphic, here is what I have come up with:

1. Power folding mirrors.
2. Garage door opener (a bigger safety item than might be obvious).
3. Heated and ventilated front seats.
4. Wireless phone charger.
5. Power rear sliding window.
6. B&O sound system.
7. Ambient lighting (?)
8. Power up tailgate (unclear - spec sheet indicates XLT option is power down only, pricing survey indicates XLT Premium with power up/down).
9. Tailgate light bar.
10. Advanced security pack - useful?
11. Larger center stack screen (is there otherwise a difference between Sync 4 and Sync 4A?).
12. Ability to further option powered running boards.

So in the end there is a bit more here than I thought and the the premium package added to the XLT, while adding many features, still doesn't equal a base Lariat in comfort/safety.
You missed that the Lariat comes with the 9.6kW ProPower Onboard in its pricing and that there is an optional fee to upgrade to it in the XLT. I would expect that is somewhere in the $1500-2000 range. Really hard to do an apples to apples comparison without the full detailed configurator available.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Me - no garage (house predates them and no room to build one), but very excited for my Lightning! Driveway will work just fine.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I mean, the Lightning is 6” too long for my garage…. ?
I’m sure lots of folks without garages will buy one. A garage is no more a necessity for an EV than it is for an ICE.

If true though it sure is a stupid way to save about $25 when building a $60k+ truck.
Ok, yeah, bad assumption on my part. I guess I was associating charging at home with a garage, but I guess you can do that elsewhere on the home or not own a garage for that. I'd be surprised to see a big percentage go to people who can't charge at home.

But yeah agreed this seems like a cheap feature to deprive an XLT of.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You missed that the Lariat comes with the 9.6kW ProPower Onboard in its pricing and that there is an optional fee to upgrade to it in the XLT. I would expect that is somewhere in the $1500-2000 range. Really hard to do an apples to apples comparison without the full detailed configurator available.
The 9.6kW pro power onboard is included in the Premium addition to the XLT, so no difference in my comparisons there (not considering XLT without the Premium package).

Hard to do apples-to-apples? Yes, agree. Probably even with the configurator, though at least is will be fully "accurate" when released.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You don't have it listed, but the Lariat gets a nicer steering wheel as well.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Thanks - I've updated the list. This ranks fairly high for me. In fact my list is loosely in order of importance to me, so this became 3b ?

Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Having no garage for me is going to be the hit on battery life during the cold months. With my Kia Niro EV in the garage I average 3.4 m/kWh. If I park outside where it’s 20 degrees out I’m down to 2.6 m/kWh for my morning commute.

cts888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Ford Escape
Having no garage for me is going to be the hit on battery life during the cold months. With my Kia Niro EV in the garage I average 3.4 m/kWh. If I park outside where it’s 20 degrees out I’m down to 2.6 m/kWh for my morning commute.
Why don't you just precondition the battery?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
have you noticed a difference if its plugged in and pre conditioned outside vs inside?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
What is the difference between the Lariat steering wheel and the steering wheel in the XLT+? I thought both are heated and leather wrapped.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If I park outside where it’s 20 degrees out I’m down to 2.6 m/kWh for my morning commute.
You can't tell it to warm up car/battery for your departure time while plugged in?
Sponsored