• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Fully Optioned Lightning XLT ER vs. Base Lariat ER

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
What is the difference between the Lariat steering wheel and the steering wheel in the XLT+? I thought both are heated and leather wrapped.
Not 100 percent sure to be honest, the Lariat is just listed as "premium" leather wrapped. I have been trying but haven't had a chance to sit in a Lariat to check it out. I believe it is higher quality leather and more padding.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
To be honest I haven’t tried the winter mode and from the manual I don’t see what exactly it does. A few other forums mention warming the battery on the way to a super charger so it can charge faster when there if you have the navigation going to the charger. And others say that the battery heater will turn on when the battery temp is below a certain level but only while actively charging. Nothing in the manual shows setting the departure time will turn it on. I can set the interior warm up for the departure time though.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
have you noticed a difference if its plugged in and pre conditioned outside vs inside?
I’ve only set the departure time once and then forgot to turn it on. Nothing mentions pre conditioning the battery, only the inside temp, defrost and heated steering wheel. I’ve just noticed the drop from driving outside vs in the garage that isn’t heated so still down to 45-50 sometimes.

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, 2021 Bronco, 2023 Lightning
Wait, power sliding rear window and garage door opener are not available on XLT+ ? Who the heck is going to buy a Lightning without a garage? Dumb on Fords part. I'm kind of upset about that. Guess I could do without the window though.
I'm confused by the concern over the garage door opener. I agree that a built in opener would be nice but I assume all garage door openers come with remote controls. We keep those in our cars, which admittedly are older cars. Other than the convenience of not having a remote in the car, does a built in opener have other advantages that I am not thinking of?

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I'm confused by the concern over the garage door opener. I agree that a built in opener would be nice but I assume all garage door openers come with remote controls. We keep those in our cars, which admittedly are older cars. Other than the convenience of not having a remote in the car, does a built in opener have other advantages that I am not thinking of?
Most of my cars have come with factory installed homelink hardware and I have never been able to get it to work. Instead I use the garage door openers, which are pretty small and unobtrusive.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Built in openers are not portable. Someone breaks into the car and grabs the portable one they usually have direct access into the home not just the garage. Sure everything can be reprogrammed eventually but if the vehicle is parked outside or someone does just a little planning it is a simple way into your home.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Built in openers are not portable. Someone breaks into the car and grabs the portable one they usually have direct access into the home not just the garage. Sure everything can be reprogrammed eventually but if the vehicle is parked outside or someone does just a little planning it is a simple way into your home.
If you are that concerned with security, why not just get a manual garage door?

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
It's just such a basic feature I'm surprised they're leaving it out. I don't like having extra stuff in my vehicle if I don't need it, it's just nicer built-in. I don't like putting the remote on the visor because whenever I use the visor it falls off creating a safety hazard when I'm already blinded by the sun, or if anything just annoys me. And if it's in a cup holder or some other cubby, it's just unnecessary clutter.

Just preference. But it seems like a cheap feature that doesn't make much sense to deprive an XLT of, which is already not a base-level trim.

khatch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150, 2021 Bronco, 2023 Lightning
It's just such a basic feature I'm surprised they're leaving it out. I don't like having extra stuff in my vehicle if I don't need it, it's just nicer built-in. I don't like putting the remote on the visor because whenever I use the visor it falls off creating a safety hazard when I'm already blinded by the sun, or if anything just annoys me. And if it's in a cup holder or some other cubby, it's just unnecessary clutter.

Just preference. But it seems like a cheap feature that doesn't make much sense to deprive an XLT of, which is already not a base-level trim.
I agree that it seems pretty basic. My remote rattled in the ash tray for years. I finally added some weather strips in the ash tray to cushion it so it wouldn't rattle. Built in would be nice.

I just checked and confirmed that my bronco didn't come with it unless I had upgraded to the highest features package, the lux package, which wasn't available on the trim level I chose. I guess Ford needs to hold back some features to get people to order the higher end trim levels.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
If it's true that Homelink isn't available on the XLT, because everybody is guessing at this point because an order guide isn't out, it isn't available on the ICE XLT truck either.

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
If it's true that Homelink isn't available on the XLT, because everybody is guessing at this point because an order guide isn't out, it isn't available on the ICE XLT truck either.
I'm not sure we can use the ICE XLT as a comparison... A friend of mine has an XLT 302A, and I'm pretty sure it has the rear power sliding window, which was mentioned here is not available on the Lightning XLT Premium.

Also odd to me that the ICE and Lightning variants have different features for the same trim levels.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager

To be fair, as someone who has never had a garage, that extra bump on the visor always seemed a little annoying to me. Much rather not have it.

AB852

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Homelink charges a licensing fee to the manufactures. It might be a $20 part, but the licensing fee might be another $50. That’s why Tesla removed it from the Model 3 and Model Y. It will cost you $300 to add it to those vehicles. Maybe ford wil offer some type of aftermarket or dealer installed option for a similar price on the XLT trim.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Homelink charges a licensing fee to the manufactures. It might be a $20 part, but the licensing fee might be another $50. That’s why Tesla removed it from the Model 3 and Model Y. It will cost you $300 to add it to those vehicles. Maybe ford wil offer some type of aftermarket or dealer installed option for a similar price on the XLT trim.
I never managed to get homelink to work properly in my first Tesla so when I discovered the next Tesla car I purchased in 2019 didn't have it, I didn't really care that it was gone.
Sponsored