• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Transition to EV, why Ford/GM still need dealers to sell the trucks?

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Dealers are an unnecessary middle man that pretty much every single car buyer loathes. With Tesla proving that not having dealers is a HUGE selling point, and other startups (Rivian) coming online without dealers, legacy carmakers have to realize that they are at a huge disadvantage going forward. Personally, I can't wait for the day where dealers no longer exist. I've bought many new cars in my lifetime and used dealers for service (warranty) a lot, they're all so so awful.
Sponsored

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
That all sounds good but put yourself in the dealership owners shoes. If Ford called me and said no more car sales just repairs I would laugh and say go pound sand and say goodbye. I dont think small to medium dealers would survive on service only, maybe the big guys with several locations but the landscape would sure change.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
In the near term, Ford or other automakers could set up their own factory stores in certain locations that would sell at MSRP and that would all but stop the price-gouging at other dealerships within a certain radius.
I would travel multiple states to buy directly from a manufacturer like this.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Why are we stuck with the dealership model in Canada? We don't have these ridiculous laws protecting middlemen.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
They still need dealers to hold stock so people can buy on the spot. There are a lot of people who have no patience and would not be able to wait for factory orders for whatever reason. However, Ford could separate both in order to satisfy all their customers without breaking any laws but they refuse to do it and therefore we are stuck with dealers installing $1500 LoJack on an EV.

Sponsored

SCandTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Lightning
I’m sure no one in here was crying when the big 3 took $8,000-12,000 off MSRP on half ton trucks. Plus look at all the other “middle men” businesses. Real estate, grocery stores, electronic stores, etc. You all act like 80% of retail businesses aren’t middle men raising prices up over what they pay for the product.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’m sure no one in here was crying when the big 3 took $8,000-12,000 off MSRP on half ton trucks. Plus look at all the other “middle men” businesses. Real estate, grocery stores, electronic stores, etc. You all act like 80% of retail businesses aren’t middle men raising prices up over what they pay for the product.
Except those discounts aren’t offered by dealers. They come straight from the Big 3.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ford Ranger Crew cab FX4 Lariat- Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Dealerships may be terrible but at least I can go bitch and yell at someone eye to eye. If they start selling directly I hope the customer service gets a lot better. I've never had to call Fords customer service until yesterday and today but it sucs. Stayed on hold for 1:15 once yesterday then got disconnected. Tried again for 33 minutes and finally had to hang up . I got a representative on the line this morning after holding for 40 minutes and he was a Dumbazz . At this point I have no idea if I'm ever gonna get a Bronco or the Lightning :(

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
How many real estate agents get 10% of a sale and then insist on mark-up that doesn't go to the seller at all?

How many grocery store charge you for giving you a receipt (doc fees)?

How many electronic stores insist that you buy accessories that you don't want?

On the plus side, you can always count on the car dealers to provide burnt coffee and stale donuts.

Sponsored

SCandTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Lightning
Except those discounts aren’t offered by dealers. They come straight from the Big 3.
not at all. Rebates come from manufacturer. There’s no $10,000 rebate from Ford.

SCandTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Lightning
How many real estate agents get 10% of a sale and then insist on mark-up that doesn't go to the seller at all?

How many grocery store charge you for giving you a receipt (doc fees)?

How many electronic stores insist that you buy accessories that you don't want?

On the plus side, you can always count on the car dealers to provide burnt coffee and stale donuts.
Show me on the doll where the bad car salesman hurt you

SCandTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Lightning
example:

2017 F150 XLT

MSRP $55,155
Rebate: $4,000
Dealer discount: $6,000

dealer discount comes off of profit. Rebate doesn’t affect dealers profit.