Any update on a Trailer TMPS system?

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
@GChurch ,

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Does your truck's TPMS display have a page for temperature (in addition to pressure)?

Thanks for your help!
I don’t see a temp option in my tpms display. But the new Super Duty if using Ford Sync 4, and our units are also Ford Sync 4 so a Forscan tweak should enable it I imagine.
Sponsored

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
I just checked an my 2022 502A Lariat with Max Tow and Tech Tow only has 2 wires in the lower plug….. I guess I a SOL unless I want to spend more money….
It’s not that much more money really. I paid more for features I care less about and impact my safety less (is how I’m convincing my wallet it is irrelevant).

maecomotorsport

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited
Occupation
Race Car Fabrication
Please forgive me for asking something that may have been asked and answered, but I want to be absolutely sure of this before I purchase the mentioned Ford wiring harness and the Ford TPMS & camera kit. Is this plug-and-play for a 2021 job 1 (June 8 2021 build) F150 Limited with standard equipment - 360 degree camera and standard Tow Technology Package with Sway Control Module (not Max Tow)? Thanks for the confirmation.

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Velocity Blue Lariat Sport
The wire harness I’m using now is ml3z-13a576-tfa and the camera tpms kit is LC3Z1A189A
I hooked up the tpms and camera and tpms was immediately detected, tire PSI showed 0 because I don’t have the sensors installed in any tires right now. Everything looks to be in order functionality-wise. Reverse sensors working as well.
Just got off the phone with my local parts and he is saying that this wiring harness is out of stock....EVERYWHERE? I find that hard to believe, but has anyone ordered in the last couple of days?

Also, has anyone with a new-build 2022 and the wiring harness with 8 pins populated checked the part number of the harness? Checking on a couple online Ford parts websites it shows the harness listed above as 'compatible' with 2021-2022 F150's...so I'm wondering if it is in fact the same harness on newer builds.

Last edited:

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat 500A MaxTow 3.5L EB
Occupation
retired
Also, has anyone with a new-build 2022 and the wiring harness with 8 pins populated checked the part number of the harness? Checking on a couple online Ford parts websites it shows the harness listed above as 'compatible' with 2021-2022 F150's...so I'm wondering if it is in fact the same harness on newer builds.
Descriptions of similar harnesses for SuperDuties has a disclaimer about not being compatible with 21-22, because they lack the connector for the yaw sensor. I surmise that they're all exactly the same except that yaw sensor connector.

Sponsored

smarty39

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Velocity Blue Lariat Sport
That’s exactly what I’m after. I want to be able to use the yaw sensor AND the TPMS/camera all together. So am I to assume that the suggested F250 harness will NOT work then?

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
That’s exactly what I’m after. I want to be able to use the yaw sensor AND the TPMS/camera all together. So am I to assume that the suggested F250 harness will NOT work then?
The disclaimer stated there were other, compatible, kits. I could not find them among the list I was looking at. I think the versions they sell now, i.e., TPMS, camera, or TPMS AND camera, all will be available with the plug for the yaw harness.

Those should be backwards compatible with older SuperDuties but the yaw sensor connection would remain capped off. That's how the camera- and TPMS-only kits work. You get the harness and the accessory you ordered and the plug for the other accessory is plugged.

I did find the new 3-part kit with all accessories on a ford.ca site, but the picture was the harness that predated yaw harnesses.

I think it will just take time for the new design to get propagated out to parts lists and suppliers.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 XLT SuperCab; ordered 2022 Lariat SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Seeking clarification regarding the wired Yaw Sensor module:

Does it serve any function beyond supporting the backup-assist system?

Does it serve any function which cannot be provided by the tongue-mounted stickers?

Does it serve any function on a 5th wheel / gooseneck trailer (noting that backup-assist does not work for those trailer types)?

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Seeking clarification regarding the wired Yaw Sensor module:

Does it serve any function beyond supporting the backup-assist system?

Does it serve any function which cannot be provided by the tongue-mounted stickers?

Does it serve any function on a 5th wheel / gooseneck trailer (noting that backup-assist does not work for those trailer types)?
This was my pros/cons analysis having used both....

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/pro-trailer-back-up-assist.8458/post-159361

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Thanks for the link, I'd not seen that thread.

So, implicitly the sole purpose of either the sensor or the stickers is backup assist and nothing else?

BTW, in your analysis you state the sensor "Works on a 5th wheel/gooseneck"; I respectfully submit that is incorrect because backup assist does not work for 5th wheel/gooseneck trailers due to the system not knowing how to deal with the hitch pivot point being significantly different from that of a 'bumper-pull' trailer. The result is very different backing 'geometry/directional response to steering inputs' compared to a 'bumper-pull' trailer; it may give lines and guidance if installed on a 5th wheel but they won't be meaningful or really useful for backing the trailer accurately. Have you found different based on your own hands-on experience with a 5th wheel/gooseneck trailer?

FWIW the context of my interest is owning 3 trailers (two bumper-pull flatbed utility and one 5th wheel RV). I'm wanting to install the integrated TPMS+rear cam on my 5th wheel RV. I see no need for a kit including the Yaw Sensor module for that application?

Last edited:

Sponsored

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... I'm wanting to install the integrated TPMS+rear cam on my 5th wheel RV. I see no need for a kit including the Yaw Sensor module for that application?
I concur that there is no value in the yaw sensor for that purpose. You could buy a 17-22 camera/TPMS kit on ebay at a discount and it would serve the purpose if the F150 12-pin socket is wired for those functions.

Note that some TPMS/camera kits sold on ebay don't actually have both. Read the fine print. Also, newer trucks include temp in the display. That requires a temp sensor in the TPMS sender unit that is not present in the pre-'22 kits. Make sure the TPMS senders you get include that functionality, if needed.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired!
Also, newer trucks include temp in the display. That requires a temp sensor in the TPMS sender unit that is not present in the pre-'22 kits. Make sure the TPMS senders you get include that functionality, if needed.
I'm hopeful that my ordered but not yet built F150 will include the temperature monitoring capability that's been reported on the SuperDuty series (or if not, that it can be enabled with FORScan); insofar as F150s that's all an unknown at this time it seems.

I won't buy any kit until I have the truck in-hand and I'm willing to pay for latest-version parts to ensure the sensors have that capability, even if that means skipping some 'iffy' ebay deals.

In any case this thread is a tremendous asset, I appreciate all the knowledgeable posts, and hope to see more on that F150 temperature monitoring capability here in the future.

Last edited:
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Thank you all for this information!

I just got a 12/2021 build F150 XLT, Sport FX4 with 302A, Max tow, and 360 camera packages.

Like the 2021’s, mine only has 2 wires in the harness.

I pick up my new trailer tomorrow, but am thinking the 2 propane bottles will block where the YAW sticker needs to be.
I’d also like the tpms and camera set-up.

Subscribed.

-Robb

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... In any case this thread is a tremendous asset, I appreciate all the knowledgeable posts, and hope to see more on that F150 temperature monitoring capability here in the future.
The only knowledge I have is what I learned from searching for parts and reading other internet sources. Take it with a grain of salt.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... I pick up my new trailer tomorrow, but am thinking the 2 propane bottles will block where the YAW sticker needs to be. ...
That mirrors my experience with Pro Backup in my 2016 Lariat using stickers. It worked if I turned one direction but lost site of the sticker if I turned the other direction. And, even when the sticker was in view, it sometimes lost it. I gave up on it shortly after the first time I tried it.

Hopefully the yaw sensor works better. That assumes it comes with the XLT HDPP I ordered. As for it being mountable only on one trailer at a time, I only have one, so I'm good with that.
Sponsored