Top Lightning gripes or dislikes.

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5L, 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y
3. Charging curve above 80% (with a pack this large, it should fall off much more gradually

6. No towing accessories available still (wireless cam, yaw sensor, TPMS) to enable the smart towing features
3 - Pretty typical of every EV I've owned and driven. The battery manufacturers are being extra conservative with these packs, partly due to the bad press of the cost of a replacement and partly because they don't know better.

6. Really? How am I going to park my camper without the little knob that drives the trailer? Seriously. I suck at backing up anything connected to the truck,
Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
You can just hit the power button and turn the truck off. Shifter moves itself to park.
Thanks for that information- I'll give it a try- but it shows how the actual moving shifter is an unnecessary component. Just a simple rotary knob or stalk would be better- doesn't the MachE use a rotary knob? I drove one of those but it's been a while.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Thanks for that information- I'll give it a try- but it shows how the actual moving shifter is an unnecessary component. Just a simple rotary knob or stalk would be better- doesn't the MachE use a rotary knob? I drove one of those but it's been a while.
The mach e does have a rotary dial. It also goes into park when you power off the vehicle, but without the need to have motors moving stuff around.

I wish the lightning had a simple stalk, too. I personally didn't like the dial in my mach e. I was constantly rotating it in the wrong direction for some reason.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Wish it was easier to get into tight parking spots. Seems more of a challenge to manuver than my 2019 Suburban and even my old 2004 F150 Super crew was.

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Lightning, Model S Plaid, 3 & Y, e-Golf
Occupation
Consultant
My girlfriend has a Tesla Model Y and the damn wireless charger doesn't even work with the new iPhone 14 Pro Max.. and when it did work with the older phone it was so slow it might as well not have been there. I agree with you on this. Wireless charging is just a buzz thing. (And also very cheap to implement)
Charger in my Plaid Model S and Model Y work perfectly, but they are both 2022s and older Tesla wireless chargers were not as good. They refreshed it with all AMD Ryzen based cars and added "PD" power USB-C

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I had the UnLeashed system in my 2021 Lariat. While better than the 8 speaker system in the Lightning, it isn't worth the price of going Platinum.
I'll probably have to upgrade the stereo with aftermarket speakers and a real sub. It's not good

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger in my Plaid Model S and Model Y work perfectly, but they are both 2022s and older Tesla wireless chargers were not as good. They refreshed it with all AMD Ryzen based cars and added "PD" power USB-C
2022 Model Y Performance and the new phones aren’t the right size to charge.

Meccanica

Threads
Reaction score
Website
sdturo.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
2022 Model Y Performance and the new phones aren’t the right size to charge.
0 issues with S22 Ultra, and iphone 14 charging in 2022 Y or S.

I even run JBV1 with screen on everytime I drive and it still charges without overheating

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never had a heat issue. With the pro max it just doesn’t fit where the charger is placed. Anyway this is ford forum so I’m sure people don’t care to hear about our Tesla issues.

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I would prefer more buttons. Particularly WRT the temperature and fan. Im super happy that they gave us a dial for volume. Overall still delighted with ~3K miles. Steve

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
One thing people don't think about - the design of the Lightning had to be similar to the design of the ICE F-150s, because otherwise you alienate / lose the "truck buyer". It's amazing in the ICE F-150 forums how ANY change, no matter how small, freaks them out. So, remove the shifter and put in the round knob, and they would go berserk.

That said, if you participate in enough online forums / social media, you realize that ANY FEATURE in ANY PRODUCT usually has a split perspective - people love it and people hate it. Product designers often can't win.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
One thing people don't think about - the design of the Lightning had to be similar to the design of the ICE F-150s, because otherwise you alienate / lose the "truck buyer". It's amazing in the ICE F-150 forums how ANY change, no matter how small, freaks them out. So, remove the shifter and put in the round knob, and they would go berserk.
That is true. However, Lightning buyers are not the typical F150 buyers. I would have like to have seen the Lightning use the Expedition center console.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That is true. However, Lightning buyers are not the typical F150 buyers. I would have like to have seen the Lightning use the Expedition center console.
Unless you have Ford's market research data, how do you know that?

Yes, I think a portion of F-150L buyers are not typical F-150 buyers, but what portion?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Unless you have Ford's market research data, how do you know that?

Yes, I think a portion of F-150L buyers are not typical F-150 buyers, but what portion?
I've owned 4 F-150's before buying my Lightning. I don't need to see their market research, I *am* their market research. I think they need to start talking to the early adopters to see what we'd change, what works and what doesn't.
Sponsored