Sponsored

Looks like the SCALPING market is dead (for now).

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Our lenders are the blame for that.
Uhh... wut?

The lenders are to blame for that? Nobody is forcing people to get loans at gunpoint. Whatever happened to accepting responsibility for your own actions? Just because you can go to your laundry and chug a bottle of bleach doesn't mean you should.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Probably there are better places to do financial research than an Internet forum.
That's no ish. Over on the Rivian forum some dude asked about a balloon loan for a pick 'em up truck recently. I thought it was a joke until I opened the thread and not only did I see it was a real thing but there were several "financial experts" supporting the reasons why it was a solid "investment" and why it makes sense. O lawd, we're doomed.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I challenge the assumption. I dare any Lariat ER owner to list their truck for $80k no reserve and I’m willing to bet it will sell.

…just make sure you send me the link to the listing ok?
Exactly. If anyone got an XLT w/ER and nicely equipped wants to sell it for what they paid be sure to send me the listing privately first so I can proof-read it for you.

Seriously though, the entire used car segment is currently reeling and it's affecting everything, not just Lightnings.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Actually I’m 48, which I wouldn’t consider “old“ unless I’m being seen through the eyes of a teenager. Should I be like you and also make a baseless assumption that you recently graduated from high school?
OK BOOMER

Just kidding, honestly, it doesn't matter to me what age anyone is. I don't care. Just understand that I wasn't picking on anyone or trying to do anything other than take an educated guess at how robust the market will be for 80K trucks going forward.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That's no ish. Over on the Rivian forum some dude asked about a balloon loan for a pick 'em up truck recently. I thought it was a joke until I opened the thread and not only did I see it was a real thing but there were several "financial experts" supporting the reasons why it was a solid "investment" and why it makes sense. O lawd, we're doomed.
I happen to agree with your original point that many people are buying above their means, but that wasn't the point of my post. I was only trying to understand the market size for 80K trucks.

I can afford a Lightning by any metric, but I consider it a luxury purchase, yet I'm still going to buy one because as the kids say, YOLO. 😅 I might get the first Avalanche Lariat in California if my truck arrives in 2 weeks.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I challenge the assumption. I dare any Lariat ER owner to list their truck for $80k no reserve and I’m willing to bet it will sell.

…just make sure you send me the link to the listing ok?
The last 3 Lariat ER sales on cars-n-bids was 86K/82K/83K. They are selling near MSRP. Anyone would be nuts to pay a big markup at this point.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I happen to agree with your original point that many people are buying above their means, but that wasn't the point of my post. I was only trying to understand the market size for 80K trucks.

I can afford a Lightning by any metric, but I consider it a luxury purchase, yet I'm still going to buy one because as the kids say, YOLO. 😅 I might get the first Avalanche Lariat in California if my truck arrives in 2 weeks.
One of my wife's favorite sayings of mine I've been saying for years is "You only YOLO once!" which I think is right up there with a buddy's "ASAP as possible" :LOL:

I don't think anything in my posts was directed at you specifically. Lots of generalities in my statements as I was more addressing the those who were basing the conversation on rates and payments as if that was the only option.

That said, I really don't think that this secondary market for Ford EVs or any EVs for that matter is dead or dying. Quite the opposite, in fact as the rate of EV adoption continues gaining momentum. The used car segment has cooled off that that's fairly typical this time of year anyway.

The title of this thread was stating that it looked like the resale market on the Lightning is "dead" and I really couldn't disagree more. The market might be slightly cooler but that's relative since it was about as insane as has even been seen previously.

Life is all about perspective sometimes.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The last 3 Lariat ER sales on cars-n-bids was 86K/82K/83K. They are selling near MSRP. Anyone would be nuts to pay a big markup at this point.
Guess it depends on your definition of big.

That still suggests a $5-10k markup from MSRP. Back in august, I was offered $20k on the spot for my Pro - and was recently offered $10k. To me, both of those are big.

If anything the cars and bids sales show the market for an $80k truck is certainly alive and well.

The market for a $100k on the other hand…

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
One of my wife's favorite sayings of mine I've been saying for years is "You only YOLO once!" which I think is right up there with a buddy's "ASAP as possible" :LOL:

I don't think anything in my posts was directed at you specifically. Lots of generalities in my statements as I was more addressing the those who were basing the conversation on rates and payments as if that was the only option.

That said, I really don't think that this secondary market for Ford EVs or any EVs for that matter is dead or dying. Quite the opposite, in fact as the rate of EV adoption continues gaining momentum. The used car segment has cooled off that that's fairly typical this time of year anyway.

The title of this thread was stating that it looked like the resale market on the Lightning is "dead" and I really couldn't disagree more. The market might be slightly cooler but that's relative since it was about as insane as has even been seen previously.

Life is all about perspective sometimes.
Yeah, I only mean the resale scalping market was dead. I'm goin gto update that title.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Guess it depends on your definition of big.

That still suggests a $5-10k markup from MSRP. Back in august, I was offered $20k on the spot for my Pro - and was recently offered $10k. To me, both of those are big.

If anything the cars and bids sales show the market for an $80k truck is certainly alive and well.

The market for a $100k on the other hand…
I don't want to quibble over thousands, but anything under about 88K would be a loss after taxes in California and the break even number differs depending on where you live.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Sounds a lot like Ford options….

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I only mean the resale scalping market was dead. I'm goin gto update that title.
No, we're talking about the same thing. I just don't use the term "scalping" as a pejorative in this context.

I never understood why it's perfectly acceptable for a company to make a profit but an individual is somehow evil for having similar vision and taking similar risks just more on a scale commensurate to their footprint.

What's next? The government buys up all of the trucks for us and then distributes them among it's subjects... er... I mean citizens equally so that everyone gets a fair chance? No thanks.

I'm veering off topic once again though so I'll just leave that there.

I don't see the Lightning marking cooling off anymore than the rest of the used car segment.

OP
OP

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No, we're talking about the same thing. I just don't use the term "scalping" as a pejorative in this context.

I never understood why it's perfectly acceptable for a company to make a profit but an individual is somehow evil for having similar vision and taking similar risks just more on a scale commensurate to their footprint.

What's next? The government buys up all of the trucks for us and then distributes them among it's subjects... er... I mean citizens equally so that everyone gets a fair chance? No thanks.

I'm veering off topic once again though so I'll just leave that there.

I don't see the Lightning marking cooling off anymore than the rest of the used car segment.
Not sure what you mean by "anymore than the rest of the used car segment" which is rocketing down as we speak. Carvana is dead and lots of dealers are going to eat it soon.

As for scalping, people who try to buy up all the early stock of a limited item for the purpose of reselling it at a profit are commonly called scalpers. As for the morality of it, I have no position.

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
I'm just wondering if the constant increase in msrp per model year helps my resale value down the road.
Sponsored