First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is a tough one. You never know what the market with do. If a recession still hits, nothing may resell well for a while. Its really about your financial situation and are you prepared to drive it 5 to 6 years or maybe take a loss on it if you need to get out of it.

I know how truly lucky I am as I got in on '22 pricing and the $7500 / $2500 rebates (TX). There is no way I'd be in at the $90K price. I had originally reserved in Bristow (had a relative that worked there) but moved the reservation and ordered from a Dallas dealer when I learned of the TX rebate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is a tough one. You never know what the market with do. If a recession still hits, nothing may resell well for a while. Its really about your financial situation and are you prepared to drive it 5 to 6 years or maybe take a loss on it if you need to get out of it.

I know how truly lucky I am as I got in on '22 pricing the $7500 / $2500 rebates (TX). There is no way I'd be in at the $90K price. I had originally reserved in Bristow (had a relative that worked there) but moved the reservation and ordered from a Dallas dealer when I learned of the TX rebate.
Same here. There is also the potential of the Truck not having the same performance but better range and charging capabilities.

Eventually all cars become obsolete and it’s up to the aftermarket to keep them relevant.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
It’s starting to seem like the 2022/2023 models will turn into abandonware by 2026.
Haha!

That statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Does a 3 year old vehicle have no value and should be abandoned because new features are incorporated into newer models?

No.

Yes, the vehicles will continue to evolve and get better. People will buy new ones, people will also happily buy our 3 year old trucks.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Decided to get the cheapest 2019+ ecodiesel ram I could find to tide over towing for a couple of years. The EV will probably end up being a second gen SUV for the wife. Maybe 2026.
Congrats! Good luck.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Now the tax laws take effect… so bye bye $7500.
I find this an extremely weak argument for not excepting delivery of your F150L. You should have known that Ford was quickly approaching the 200,000 threshold when you reserved your F150L and that only a select few even had a chance of getting the credit. With the rampant inflation we have seen over the last, the price increases of the F150L appear rather modest.

If you are serious considering not taking your F150L because of the new tax credit rules then I have to suggest that you were never really serious about buying the F150L. The F150L is already a history making icon and they haven’t even sold 20,000 of them yet. If you take your F150L you will be apart of this history but, if you don’t, this could be something you will regret the rest of your life.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I find this an extremely weak argument for not excepting delivery of your F150L. You should have known that Ford was quickly approaching the 200,000 threshold when you reserved your F150L and that only a select few even had a chance of getting the credit. With the rampant inflation we have seen over the last, the price increases of the F150L appear rather modest.

If you are serious considering not taking your F150L because of the new tax credit rules then I have to suggest that you were never really serious about buying the F150L. The F150L is already a history making icon and they haven’t even sold 20,000 of them yet. If you take your F150L you will be apart of this history but, if you don’t, this could be something you will regret the rest of your life.
I don't think Ford hit their 200K yet, so truly if we didn't have a NEW law, the old one would still very much be in effect and all trucks bought in the next 6 months would have still received the $7500.

So truly the rules changed and rug was pulled out from under many. If I was at the top of my budget at $80K and the price goes up and I have $7500 taken away, then is exceptionally prudent on the individual to know his/her limit and walk from it.

Why do you think so many are in trouble in this country? Very few respect their limits.

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I was one of these people that was getting upset about the tax credit because of the cost of the truck and I stressed day in and day out about getting it. I even threatened to not take delivery but then it occurred to me - getting the tax credit was always an extra gift from Ford. I ordered in September they told me I wouldn’t get it until spring… They under promised and over delivered for me.

This all occurred to me as I was going to call ford and complain about my chip hold… I figured I had nothing to complain about until spring.

That order tracker did nothing but cause me unneeded stress. Love the truck though!

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I don't think Ford hit their 200K yet, so truly if we didn't have a NEW law, the old one would still very much be in effect and all trucks bought in the next 6 months would have still received the $7500.

So truly the rules changed and rug was pulled out from under many. If I was at the top of my budget at $80K and the price goes up and I have $7500 taken away, then is exceptionally prudent on the individual to know his/her limit and walk from it.

Why do you think so many are in trouble in this country? Very few respect their limits.
They did Q3 2022 - this was the grandfather quarter.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I have $7500 taken away, then is exceptionally prudent on the individual to know his/her limit and walk from it.
You still don’t seem to get it. The $7,500 tax credit is an artificial incentive to consumers. Auto manufacturers raise their prices because they know people think they’re getting a deal with the tax credit.

That’s why the price hike for the lower trim levels that do qualify for the credit was twice that of the price hike for the higher trim levels that didn’t qualify. The only reason the tax credit is an incentive is because it allows auto manufacturers to make more profit on EVs but it doesn’t really lower cost to the consumers. Anybody that thinks they are paying less because of the tax credit is naive.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Don't take delivery if you are not super excited about it. I will take delivery of the pro because it is at 40% discount for me. At $90K for a tech that will be obsolete in a few years like most mobile phones, you really need to love it.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
You still don’t seem to get it. The $7,500 tax credit is an artificial incentive to consumers. Auto manufacturers raise their prices because they know people think they’re getting a deal with the tax credit.

That’s why the price hike for the lower trim levels that do qualify for the credit was twice that of the price hike for the higher trim levels that didn’t qualify. The only reason the tax credit is an incentive is because it allows auto manufacturers to make more profit on EVs but it doesn’t really lower cost to the consumers. Anybody that thinks they are paying less because of the tax credit is naive.
There isn't a lot to get. I'm not arguing with you. I understand the $7500. It won me over to EV's, but I know it truly goes straight to the manufacture. I used it twice with Tesla Model 3's. Tesla truly dropped the price of the 3 as the rebate expired and did what you describe.

Ford has done the opposite having to even raise prices. I figure if the world and supply chain had been in different places their goal was definitely to keep prices the same, likely not drop, but the world had squeezed them and they've even raised prices higher.

Should people really depend on that to decide if they can afford, no. Have many, yes. I did as well 5 years ago.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yep. And all automakers have latched onto the tax credit marketing. It's been especially bad in Tesla circles where Tesla figured the federal and state incentives into their advertised pricing unless you told it not to. Then we see people trying to haggle deals on used Teslas, telling the sellers that they really paid $7500 less for it because of the tax credit. As if they know what the original buyer actually qualified for, or that it is even relevant...

I was glad I took delivery last week and just made the deadline for the '22 federal credit. But it had no bearing on whether or not I took delivery of the truck. I'm actually much happier that I bought from a good dealership that values their customers and I paid less than MSRP for it.

Yabra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Yep. And all automakers have latched onto the tax credit marketing. It's been especially bad in Tesla circles where Tesla figured the federal and state incentives into their advertised pricing unless you told it not to. Then we see people trying to haggle deals on used Teslas, telling the sellers that they really paid $7500 less for it because of the tax credit. As if they know what the original buyer actually qualified for, or that it is even relevant...

I was glad I took delivery last week and just made the deadline for the '22 federal credit. But it had no bearing on whether or not I took delivery of the truck. I'm actually much happier that I bought from a good dealership that values their customers and I paid less than MSRP for it.
What do you mean you paid less than MSRP. Was it a PRO?

Yabra2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER

True, but!

The old tax law was to help new EV manufacturers make up the additional cost of building EVs, and the expectation is that once they hit 200k, they would have already invested in infrastructure to lower the cost of building EV. So, u see that with Tesla when they dropped the prices for model 3 once they hit 200k.

The new tax low seems to be written to help the general public move to EV and to help USA manufacturing that is why it has price cap and salary cap. Rich ppl will buy EVs anyways if they want to at whatever price. In my opinion the law is good for long term but should have not been implemented with a hard cutoff! They should have instead a gradual transition.

Ford already reached 200k EVs in December, the tech in the truck is the same as mach-e and the body is the same as normal truck! So, they are already established. There is really no reason for them to hike up the price the way they did! Then reaching 200k would mean the old incentive would cut in the next quarter which means in March and then it would start to gradually face out.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
What do you mean you paid less than MSRP. Was it a PRO?
Granger Ford, Iowa— northwest Des Moines. They offered $1000 below invoice for Lightning and Bronco customers. Invoice price on Lightning is effectively MSRP, so it wasn’t as big of a discount as most of us, including the folks at Granger, had originally hoped. Also got a little something extra since I’ve now bought 3 vehicles from them in 2 years and have a Bronco Raptor order they’ll submit as soon as they get an allocation- probably a ‘24 model year.

MSRP on my Lightning Lariat 511A was 90K. I drove away paying 89.5K AFTER adding the 8y/100k Ford Premium Care warranty. OTOH, I had to fly to Des Moines and drive the truck almost 700 miles back home, passing a dozen Ford dealerships that wanted to charge me a whole lot more.
Sponsored