Sponsored

EZ-Pass Transponder Placement?

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE & 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
In the 6 months that I have had my Lightning, I have found that I encounter occasional problems with EZ-Pass Open Road Toll readers scanning my EZ-Pass transponder, which has resulted in me being billed with extra fees when my plate is scanned. It happens maybe 5% of the time and the rest of the time, tolls are scanning my transponder without a problem. Is anyone else running into this? I do have a very light tint film on my windshield, which I was assured would not cause problems with the transponder. Could it possibly be the placement of my transponder?
Ford F-150 Lightning EZ-Pass Transponder Placement? 1684942043702

Ford F-150 Lightning EZ-Pass Transponder Placement? 1684942082013
Sponsored

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's about where mine is, although it is mounted parallel to the headliner. I wanted to make sure that it is plainly visible to the plate reading cameras if it doesn't read. No problems so far. Mounting instructions:

https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/mounting.pdf
Thanks. Yeah, I figured mounting it the same way that I have it mounted in my Mach-E, where I have no problems with it being read in that vehicle, shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I will look at rotating it to mount it like yours.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks. Yeah, I figured mounting it the same way that I have it mounted in my Mach-E, where I have no problems with it being read in that vehicle, shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I will look at rotating it to mount it like yours.
Does your Mach-E have tint on the windshield like your Lightning?

OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does your Mach-E have tint on the windshield like your Lightning?
It does not, so that is something that I am wondering about. The tint we got is one that reduces heat from the sun in the vehicle, so I have been thinking that it could possibly have something to so with it. I will try moving the placement of the transponder and, if that does not improve it's readability, then I may try cutting out a small section of the tint film.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
The tint we got is one that reduces heat from the sun in the vehicle
As a datapoint, I don't have windshield tint. I would, but that's like a capital offense in Virginia. But, I did 'tint' all but the outward facing side of my EZ-Pass black. ;)

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
In that picture it's hard to tell, but it looks like your transponder is mounted sideways. Is the arrow pointing up?

Your state is evil for charging a fee if your transponder didn't read, but they successfully identified you by plate.

Reactions: GDN
OP
OP

bellyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In that picture it's hard to tell, but it looks like your transponder is mounted sideways. Is the arrow pointing up?

Your state is evil for charging a fee if your transponder didn't read, but they successfully identified you by plate.
Illinois is always looking to make a buck or even a few extra pennies anywhere they can. I don't understand why we can't just use pay-by-plate for automatic debiting of our account if it seems to be more reliable than scanning the transponder. I do not have the arrows pointing up, so maybe that is part of the problem, so I will rotate it and see if that helps. I also just found this noting that solar tint and heat reflective windshields can interfere, too, so I may have to cut out a bit of the tint.

Ford F-150 Lightning EZ-Pass Transponder Placement? 1684949545846

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Illinois is always looking to make a buck or even a few extra pennies anywhere they can. I don't understand why we can't just use pay-by-plate for automatic debiting of our account if it seems to be more reliable than scanning the transponder. I do not have the arrows pointing up, so maybe that is part of the problem, so I will rotate it and see if that helps. I also just found this noting that solar tint and heat reflective windshields can interfere, too, so I may have to cut out a bit of the tint.

1684949545846.png
I would try rotating it before cutting anything. I think that will solve it. I like putting mine down lower and more central so that it's in the blind spot behind the rear-view. It's uglier for the passenger, but I can't see it, and that's what matters!

If it were me I'd try to get one of the plate-mounted transponders before modifying my tint. 🤷

Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I threw mine in the tray up on the dash day 1 and haven't had an issue with it.
That's where I have mine also, next to the center speaker on dash. Never had an issue.

viennaxmas

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
EZPass offers License Plate Tags if the window prevents the transponders to work. Only downside is that the "EZPass Flex" HOV option requires a lot of paperwork.
Other question is the age of your transponder, they usually have to be replaced every 5-6 years. We started getting occasional misses and the EZPass Office checked and the battery was getting low. Replaced it and it worked fine since.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Have tinted front windshield and mine is under the rear view mirror- no issues so far

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Business Consultant
Mine is here, basically behind the mirror. No issues. Different state and pass, but guessing it’s the same tech.

Ford F-150 Lightning EZ-Pass Transponder Placement? IMG_2662

wgatkinson

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
In the 6 months that I have had my Lightning, I have found that I encounter occasional problems with EZ-Pass Open Road Toll readers scanning my EZ-Pass transponder, which has resulted in me being billed with extra fees when my plate is scanned. It happens maybe 5% of the time and the rest of the time, tolls are scanning my transponder without a problem. Is anyone else running into this? I do have a very light tint film on my windshield, which I was assured would not cause problems with the transponder. Could it possibly be the placement of my transponder?
1684942043702.png

1684942082013.png
Mine is doing the exact same thing. I have it mounted in about the same place but I do not have any tint on the windows (because like another responder I am also in VA). But about 5% of the time my transponder doesn't read and I get a nasty postcard from the EZ Pass people.
Sponsored