Sponsored

Cruise Control Cancel's in the Same Spot

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
I have a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER and typically drive with adaptive cruise control on. I've noticed in the same location on a 4 lane road it will almost always beep and disable cruise control, and then say Cancel on the dash. I say almost always because I know at least once I was testing it and had no issue. Anyone had this issue reoccur in the same place over and over?

Edit: I'm not using Blue Cruise or Lane Assist during that time.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Do you mean that handsfree stops and requires you to put hands on?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER and typically drive with adaptive cruise control on. I've noticed in the same location on a 4 lane road it will almost always beep and disable cruise control, and then say Cancel on the dash. I say almost always because I know at least once I was testing it and had no issue. Anyone had this issue reoccur in the same place over and over?
I use the Blue Cruise feature every time I travel to the nearest small town. The Parkway is mapped and it works great. There is one section where the system shuts down for about 200 yards and then comes back. It consistent and I have yet to figure out what there is about that section that shuts it down.

CdnCGM23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Military
I haven't with my Lightning, but with my Tesla yes. PIA and freaks my wife out all the time. She yells at me to just forget about the cruise control. I love Blue Cruise! So far, LOL.

I would think the issue has something to do with GPS mapping. 6 lane highway, happens in either direction. There doesn't seem to be anything about the paving or lane markers to warrant the sudden release in my situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you mean that handsfree stops and requires you to put hands on?
No this is just regular cruise control without lane assist. Blue Cruise doesn't work hands free in my area.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I haven't with my Lightning, but with my Tesla yes. PIA and freaks my wife out all the time. She yells at me to just forget about the cruise control. I love Blue Cruise! So far, LOL.
It freaked me out the first couple times.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
No this is just regular cruise control without lane assist. Blue Cruise doesn't work hands free in my area.
See if the area loses the lines, i.e. they are painted over, or faded and invisible to the camera.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Yes.

On a two lane road I use for my daily commute the "lane centering" (non hand free Blue cruise) will disengage at the same spot. The speed function still works, but the lane centering function shuts down with a beep and "cancel" on the dash. Same spot everyday. I figured it was because there was something there causing the yellow center or white side line to be obscured and the system can't determine the lane.

On the freeway, it is well documented that the bluecruise "hand free" shuts off under the toll reader gantry on the New York Thruway

OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I use the Blue Cruise feature every time I travel to the nearest small town. The Parkway is mapped and it works great. There is one section where the system shuts down for about 200 yards and then comes back. It consistent and I have yet to figure out what there is about that section that shuts it down.
That sounds similar to what I'm seeing, but I'm not using Blue Cruise during that time.

OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See if the area loses the lines, i.e. they are painted over, or faded and invisible to the camera.
That very well may be it. I will pay closer attention next time.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
On long drives on mapped interstate there are little sections here and there where Blue Cruise hands free will disengage and the engage again a short while later. These are gaps in the BC map..you can see some online

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The camera can't interpret the lines on the road. Could be faded markings or sun/shade.

If you find bluecruise is kicking off at the same spot, it's most likely a corner that is too tight for BC.

OP
OP
AmandaB

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes.

On a two lane road I use for my daily commute the "lane centering" (non hand free Blue cruise) will disengage at the same spot. The speed function still works, but the lane centering function shuts down with a beep and "cancel" on the dash. Same spot everyday. I figured it was because there was something there causing the yellow center or white side line to be obscured and the system can't determine the lane.

On the freeway, it is well documented that the bluecruise "hand free" shuts off under the toll reader gantry on the New York Thruway

I'm not using the lane centering during that time, but it does sound similar to what I'm seeing. It may be something with the lines it doesn't like.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
The camera can't interpret the lines on the road. Could be faded markings or sun/shade.

If you find bluecruise is kicking off at the same spot, it's most likely a corner that is too tight for BC.
It’s not a curved section. It is straight as an arrow.

I’ve driven this section for nearly two years in a Maverick with lane centering without the same loss.

I’ve studied the lane marks pretty closely and don’t see any difference in them compared to the before and after.

My feeling is it something to do with Mapping Data.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Sounds like everyone here is focused on lane centering (e.g., LKA, Blue Cruise). But you’re referring to speed control, right? In other words your truck will begin to slow down and not maintain speed?
If so, my only thought is that you have speed sign recognition on and it sees what it thinks is a 5 or 10 mph sign and disengages.
Sponsored